Liverpool (a) post-match thread

Angelino is lower prem at best. A trier but not good enough for City.

How could you know this on the basis of 2-3 games alone? Angelino was voted best talent in Eredivisie last season ahead of many Ajax players.

If you think you can estimate the quality of a player on the nasis of several games, you better apply for a job at City, you might be a genius scout, who knows?

The Henderson cross was a tricky one and I can't really blame Angelino for this one, watch the build up to the goal and you would see that Gundogan made it seem like he was going to close in on henderson, so Angelino took a couple steps back and went towards the box, only for Gundogan to abandon the chase and then take some steps back towards the same direction Angelino was heading towards!
Cheers so I didn't imagine that.

City have performed incredibly well over the last two seasons, with all kinds of records in the PL and winning 7 of the last 8 domestic trophies. The psychological and physical effort must have been immense and I fear we are paying the price. Not only are we losing many more players to injury but many players are not showing anything like the form of the last two years. They are still playing well but they have lost some of the dynamic energy and drive of the past. They are not playing at the pace and with the tempo of the last two seasons and this could find us out in games against the top teams. It's perfectly understandable and finding the same motivation this season and the same energy levels week after week must be almost impossible. Add to this refereeing which is at best dubious (and nowhere near its best most of the time), VAR which at its best is a baffling joke and a Liverpool side well versed in the dark arts and it can all be decisive. Five minutes in and a refereeing and VAR combined howler plus Liverpool's usual hit-hard-and-wish harder miracle shot and a side which should be one up is one down. Goals change games and Liverpool were looking nervy up to that point; a penalty and goal for us would have silenced the crowd and we would have been in control. Having said that, Sergio's touch deserted him today and Bravo does not radiate the calm reliability Eddie does (i think Eddie would have saved goals 1 and 3) and Angelino is poor defensively without Mendy's ability to put in excellent crosses while on the move at pace. Mendy would have kept his opposite number pushed back. Stone and Ferna are OK as CBs but Laporte is irreplaceable. There's still a long way to go and we won't give up, so Come on City because when we can find our best we are still comfortably better than all the rest.

I agree about Mendy he'll be gone soon, but Angelino isn't a City player.

I think the issue is we have had a succession of left backs who are good going forward but shocking at defending.
That said I think Angelino will improve.

Well hard to know where to start on this one.

Were it not for the clearly bent/incompetant/corrupt officiating it would be alot easy to pass comment on the why how and what ifs in that game. So trying to leave that side (impossible) I will try and comment on the rest.

No question Liverpool are a bloody good side and would be in with a good shout of winning it this year without the script writing of the premier League and the media.. Sadly our shortcomings on this occasion will be explained away and excused due to the non decisions made.

There are however some facts that cannot or at least should not be overlooked.

We did not play that badly at all. We were actually by a mile the better side in all but what went on at both ends of the pitch. On the few occassions Liverpool did get close to or in our penalty are they looked likely to score. The injury to Laporte and the non replacement of Kompany were exposed more today than ever before. Atrocoius defending particularly for the third and effectively the killer goal. How was that cross allowed to be made two City players nowhere near to stopping it.

At the other end their defence got in the way of almost anything blocking crosses and shots time after time. I thought they defended very well indeed. In attack they did what you have to do and took their chances. We on the other hand as is an ongoing and seemingly increasing issue missed chance after chance. Sergios in the second half was appalling. We might get a bagful against poor sides but this season against a decent defence we look well short. I wonder how many goals someone like Lewandoski would have scored today for us?

At the end of the day its easy to say the non penalty early on could well have changed the direction of the game. Lets not forget however our record on taking penalties is way short of what is rewuired or acceptable to win titles. Even if we had been given all three that we should have had we can hardly clain with any confidence of them all or indedd any would have been scored.

This team has rightly been praised to high heaven as has our manager who is without doubt the best we have had. Its perhaps vital that all concerned take a deep breath and consider that we might need to take a serious look at our own shortcomings this season despite having good reason to suspect our task is being made all but impossible by what is frankly blatant dishonesty and cheating.

I saw things that concerned me on Wednesday night and was slated on here for sayig so....it was piss poor likewise against Wolves and the Norwich result has since been proved to have been very poor indeed since they are looking very likely to sink to relegation without trace.

The season is far from over and whilst the title is not completely gone at this stage of the season, it would take a spectacular turn of events to claw it back.

I do however fear that this season could take a turn for the worse unless some serious flaws that have been utterly exposed are addressed promptly and certainly must involve some new faces coming in January.

Thanks for the confidence boost.

Rarely affecting play in a positive way.....He didnt create, he was poor and absent defensively.

I suppose he wasnt anonymous when you consider he was partly responsible for their third goal and directly responsible for the first.

Others were poor but he is regularly poor against the better/stronger teams.

For context see my ther posts about KDB and Bernardo also not hitting the heights this season

Only four players in the game had more touches than him. No one made more key passes than him.

He wasn't directly responsible for their first goal. If you look at it he had to turn make a clearance when he wasn't ideally balanced to hit it hard through no fault of his own.

He should have done better on third third goal but so should other players.

People a just too keen to scapegoat Gundo.

Well, whatever. If you want to wallow in victim mentality that's your choice. All I am saying is that despite VAR and the ref, we fucked it up with bags of missed chances that should have been taken, and goals given away that never should have been given away.

All depends on what you want to concentrate on. Being a victim of VAR or seeing it like it is. Yes I agree that VAR is a huge fuck up. No doubt about that, but we're stuck with it and if we had taken our chances and not given away some of those goals (especially the first), we wouldn't be sitting here being pissed off about losing, VAR or no VAR.

Yes, but if the referee had done his job then we wouldn’t have conceded the first goal, would we? In fact we’d likely have been 1 up.

Let’s not sweep aside a monumental fuck up because you think all is rosy in the garden.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.