Liverpool (a) post-match thread

A lot of our problems were tactical
The main difference btw us and Liverpool was how organized their press was compared to ours.

Our press is very soft these days. And that's an issue that starts with our forwards and planning.

Aguero is a poor presser of the ball and Sterling, Bernado and KDB were running too many energy wasting Solo press attempts.

As the initial player starts a hard press on the ball holder ( something Aguero almost never does with the required gusto) the other 2 forwards must equally attack the other passing options with similar intensity. The goal is to force the ball back to the goalie for a punt. We repeatedly failed at this.

Our possession was good, contrary to popular opinion, Rodri and Gundogan created a good base of ball control, but our interplay in the final third was pedestrian. And the Refereeing errors didn't help.

While most will focus on Gundogan (and he had his faults) my main problem was starting Aguero. We are just not that good of a pressure team when Aguero leads the line.

From s tactical point of view, we should bhave had 3 Centerbacks and 2 Wingbacks. Walker playing as one of those CBs to take advantage of his speed (albeit, his lack of positional awareness might be detrimental. But in a 3 with instructions to close on Mane or Salah ( whichever one is o his side) I think he'd have done better.

Dihno's positioning was equally suspect all night. I know that isn't a popular point to make, but part of the reason this happens is because of how Pool plays. With Firnino often dropping out of the point of attack with Mane or Salah cutting inside.

You need Centerbacks with primary responsibility in both. Should have been Dihno on one and Walker on the other with John playing support and cleanup.

The 3 CMs was probably correct (in spite of the majority pretense to the contrary) Rodri and Gundogan controlled possession well, and Kevin drove us forward often. But it could have been Bernado or Foden as the 3rd midfielder in the middle (to suit the masses). So long as they kept possession and pressed correctly.

Forwards should bhave been Sterling and Jesus to start the press on the CBs with Kev pressing the DM.

Wingbacks should have been Angelino and Cancelo.

We would have had a better chance with such Personnel and tactics

Just a little note.

Ric did away with the rule where you have to post your football IQ in your username bud.
I’ve heard so much abuse here from fellow fans it’s unreal. Might be something to do with French tag, but going for IQ is lowest of the low. I’ll leave you at that.
The view is this - the ball touched Silva’s arm before it touched AA’s. If you didn’t see it in english telly then it’s their problem. French telly showed it at a very clear angle, there was no doubt.
The second one is more debatable yes, but at 1m distance between players, and AA’s arm not raised above his shoulder, and fairly close to his hip, it could be argued both ways. Dippers did get this last year in the CL final but it was an arm raised above shoulder, which is automatically a penalty according to current rules.

I’ve heard so much abuse here from fellow fans it’s unreal. Might be something to do with French tag, but going for IQ is lowest of the low. I’ll leave you at that.
The view is this - the ball touched Silva’s arm before it touched AA’s. If you didn’t see it in english telly then it’s their problem. French telly showed it at a very clear angle, there was no doubt.
The second one is more debatable yes, but at 1m distance between players, and AA’s arm not raised above his shoulder, and fairly close to his hip, it could be argued both ways. Dippers did get this last year in the CL final but it was an arm raised above shoulder, which is automatically a penalty according to current rules.
But VAR did not even look at it,which they should have done at the very least. The fact is though we were just not good enough

Only seen MOTD as I have been at a wedding all day. Same old story a tale of VAR fucking us over again, not clinical enough in front of goal and poor defending.

In big games Gundogan goes missing, very weak clearance for the first goal and lets Henderson run past him without putting in a challenge for the 3rd goal.
I don't disagree it was a very poor clearance, but watching it back I actually thought it was a reaction to the penalty that Liverpool were awarded against Spurs the other week (the defender is winding up to clear the ball and Mane topples over).

Gundogan toe pokes it clear so that he can't be caught out in my opinion and not that it did us any good........

You don't need your arm raised above your shoulder for it to be deemed a penalty, TAA made himself big his arm stretched out, the ball hit his arm Penalty all day long.

If the referee saw the accidental glance of the ball off Silvas arm, why didn't he blow up then, or consult Var and bring play back, before or after they scored.

There making the rules up as they go along.

But VAR did not even look at it,which they should have done at the very least. The fact is though we were just not good enough
This is the point where I absolutely hate about current system. If you have a decision, say clearly what’s behind it, otherwise they are too arrogant and open to corruption. In rugby there is so much more clarity, but football lags behind clearly.

You don't need your arm raised above your shoulder for it to be deemed a penalty, TAA made himself big his arm stretched out, the ball hit his arm Penalty all day long.

If the referee saw the accidental glance of the ball off Silvas arm, why didn't he blow up then, or consult Var and bring play back, before or after they scored.

He didn't see it. He just decided the ball going off of TAA's hand was not a hand ball. Why? Because it was five minutes into the match at Anfield, that's why.

That I agreed with you. The first goal could have been ruled out because oftwo handballs in the build-up. I missed this point as I did’nt remember whether the ball went out of play before that goal or not.

i will just leave this here

Liv-City-VAR-1.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.