Liverpool (a) post-match thread

I wonder if the 'injury crisis' is real or just a convenient excuse for us fans ?
Maybe i'm missing someone out but we are missing the following to long term injury, Laporte, Sane and Zinchencko, is that correct ?
Well, Laporte and Sane are big misses obviously but Sane looks to me as if he'll be off in the summer & we should be able to cope easily without Zinchencko.
I won't count Ederson as he'll only be out a week or two and Rodri is also now back.
Do i think our defence will suddenly be sorted once Laporte is back ? I'm not sure, we seem to struggle hugely at times with our full backs , no matter who plays and don't forget, even with Laporte back we'll still have to play Stones or Otamendi alongside him and neither instill much confidence.
It'll free up Fernandinho though, i like Rodri but Fern is a much better player in that position, we miss him covering our defence.
Personally i think it's a little more than our injuries causing the problem, we aren't taking our chances, we don't always close opposing players down as we once did and we seem to have more than a few players who just aren't in the best of form or are lacking in confidence.
What do you lot think ?
Plus we suddenly seem a very slow side, where has that quick counter attacking gone?

Bernardo didn’t set up a chance for a teammate or have a shot himself so it’s not handball for him as it was so close to him he had no idea about it.

Alexander-Arnold tensed his arm as the ball struck it. It doesn’t matter about arm raised or unnatural position, because to tense your arm as the ball strikes it is an intentional control of the ball.

It’s handball!

its not only hand ball and intentional and a manchester city pen but also a red card because it was stopping sterling having a tap in

I agree I think it was a penalty. The point is the goal cant stand because of handball so the ref has to give City a free kick. But as the ref doesnt think it's a penalty where should Citys free kick have been taken ?.
Or is it a case of which rule is ignored ?

I really dont understand why nothing is being made of the handball in the build up to the dippers first goal.

I guess it puts the ref in an impossible position cant allow the goal and doesn't believe it's a penalty, oh I will follow orders and give a goal....
Because Alexander-Arnold has to set up a goal scoring opportunity or shoot himself for it to be hand ball in an attacking an sense.

After rewatching the game:

It seemed like Peps game plan was a 4-4-1-1 with KDB in a free role behind SA, both pressing aggressively when out of possession, almost like a striker partnership. Gundogan was sitting deep alongside Rodri to help in the build up, to counter Lpools high press. Then, KDB in a free role would receive the ball after City played through Lpools high press, looking to exploit space vacated by their pressing midfielders. This game plan is similar to how City played at Anfield last year. However, the main difference in this game was that Angelino & Walker were allowed to attack, while Walker & Mendy played very defensively in the 18/19 fixture.

Refereeing decisions aside. What went wrong:

1-0: Aguero, Bernardo, Sterling, KDB, Gundogan and Walker are all in & around LFCs 18 yard box. If we were looking to play a bit conservative like last year, then either Walker or Gundo should have stayed further back imo. But they didnt. After TAA´s handball, the ball goes to Mane, Stones tracks his run while Rodri covers Stones in case Mane tries to go inside. Mane eventually gets a cross in, which Angelino prevents from reaching Salah. The big mistake happens when Gundo gets the ball from Angelino. We have 5 players vs Lpools 3 inside our 18 yard box. As Walker is the last of the defensive 6 (back 4 + 2 DMs) to return, he should position himself centrally outside our 18 yard box in case of a clearance. Instead, Walker moves toward his fullback position which leaves a massive space for Fabinho. Then Gundo delivers a horrendous clearance, and Fabinho has got all the space & time in the world to take the shot. A very poor goal to concede.

2-0: City are pressing high, until Arnold switches play to Robertson who is in space. He takes a touch before crossing to Salah who scores. Its more of a brilliant attack by Lpool than poor defending by City really. A more experienced LB could maybe have prevented this goal, but i dont want to be too harsh on Angelino. Possibly offiside??

3-0: Throw-in for Lpool down our left side. Henderson gets the ball and his run is tracked by Gundo while Angelino is marking Firmino. Henderson sprints toward the touchline, and both Gundo & Angelino follows him until Gundo suddenly gives up. Angelino tries to block the cross but Henderson has got too much space. Bravo is passive, and with better anticipation he could have cleared the cross. Walker is ball watching while Mane runs behind his back to score. A very poor goal to concede. Lack of communication between Angelino & Gundo, Bravo is way to passive while Walker looses his marking.What should have happened: Gundo marks Firmino and tells Angelino to close down Henderson. As Henderson moves toward the touchline, Bravo anticipates a cross and takes a few steps out, ready to intervene. Walker keeps close to Mane and is ready to clear at the far post.

Also, Citys counter attacking throughout the match was horrendous. 4-5 good counter attacking opportunities were wasted. Of the two counter attacks that were successful, Aguero should have scored 1, maybe 2 goals. Although KDB created 3 big chances, i dont think we got enough out of him in this match.

Positives: The team didnt give up, didnt get nervous, and pushed for goals whatever the scoreline was. We dominated possession and created some decent chances against their low block. Apart from their goals, Liverpool only created 1 decent chance, which shows how effective they were.

In summary: Citys performance wasnt terrible, though far from good enough. We did create chances. What let us down was poor finishing, individual mistakes, lack of communication, and wasteful counter attacks.

January 1st this year we were 7 points behind Lpool. We won 18 out of the last 19 games to win the title on the final day. That is insane. While things looks like shit right now, dont give up yet. But Pep needs to get our defensive stability back. A long winning run for us from now until Laporte & Sane gets back in jan, while Lpool got a cracy december, then things could look very different in a couple of months.

Come on City

Because Alexander-Arnold has to set up a goal scoring opportunity or shoot himself for it to be hand ball in an attacking an sense.

But after about 4 pass including his handball as a pass it's a goal. So how many pass count as making an opportunity to score ? If it doesnt hit his arm it's a different outcome !
Is it just one pass that counts as an opportunity ?

If we were as clinical in attack, as most other teams against us, then we wouldn't have to worry about the defending, its a better argument I'm afraid.

Absolutely. Our main strength is attack and that's what we have to use to win the games. Defence is usually having a suicidal mission with 8 players attacking, so it's ****'s trick to give them all the stick while strike force gets the praise for scoring one in 10. Before this game we were 2 goals behind best defence in the league.

I’ve heard so much abuse here from fellow fans it’s unreal. Might be something to do with French tag, but going for IQ is lowest of the low. I’ll leave you at that.
The view is this - the ball touched Silva’s arm before it touched AA’s. If you didn’t see it in english telly then it’s their problem. French telly showed it at a very clear angle, there was no doubt.
The second one is more debatable yes, but at 1m distance between players, and AA’s arm not raised above his shoulder, and fairly close to his hip, it could be argued both ways. Dippers did get this last year in the CL final but it was an arm raised above shoulder, which is automatically a penalty according to current rules.
PGMOL have gone on the record as saying Bernardo’s handball was “inconsequential” when considering AA’s handball as Bernardo’s did not lead to a goal scoring opportunity.
Their stance is AA’s arm was in a “natural position.”
I guess they omitted to state that it was a natural position for a goalkeeper!
Unbelievable really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.