Liverpool (a) post-match thread

I’ve heard so much abuse here from fellow fans it’s unreal. Might be something to do with French tag, but going for IQ is lowest of the low. I’ll leave you at that.
The view is this - the ball touched Silva’s arm before it touched AA’s. If you didn’t see it in english telly then it’s their problem. French telly showed it at a very clear angle, there was no doubt.
The second one is more debatable yes, but at 1m distance between players, and AA’s arm not raised above his shoulder, and fairly close to his hip, it could be argued both ways. Dippers did get this last year in the CL final but it was an arm raised above shoulder, which is automatically a penalty according to current rules.
Bernardo didn’t set up a chance for a teammate or have a shot himself so it’s not handball for him as it was so close to him he had no idea about it.

Alexander-Arnold tensed his arm as the ball struck it. It doesn’t matter about arm raised or unnatural position, because to tense your arm as the ball strikes it is an intentional control of the ball.

It’s handball!

That I agreed with you. The first goal could have been ruled out because oftwo handballs in the build-up. I missed this point as I did’nt remember whether the ball went out of play before that goal or not.
The first goal should of been ruled out, without a doubt, is Var working well in France ?

What won us the game at home last season was Fernandinho and Bernardo in midfield. Their energy, work rate, tireless closing down. They both played yesterday but not in midfield.

Our midfield didn’t have any energy yesterday.

He didn't see it. He just decided the ball going off of TAA's hand was not a hand ball. Why? Because it was five minutes into the match at Anfield, that's why.

That’s the difference between the premier league and what you get in the champions league. The ref had the balls to give it in the champions league final a few minutes in, look how efficient it was done at the San Siro mid week. How can it be done in such a poor way here?

As much as i love the positivity when pep says "were going to play to win the game", I just feel we need to take in a different mindset into future games at Anfield. The closest we've come to a win at that hole was when we were defensively solid like last year. There seems to be a trend where they play like a house on fire every time in first half (where the game is open and they score worldies that they've never scored in their lives) but really fade after 70 mins or so. I know injuries don't help but if we were in the game, we would've ran all over the top of them.

For 37 games of the year, yes of course play our wonderful attacking football (including the home tie against the dippers where we can easily put 6 past them). But just for this one game a season, maybe put the breaks on a bit. They struggle to break teams that sit back and lets counter them, coz we're definitely the best in the league at counter attacking imo. Whether or not we are capable of sitting back slightly is another question.

Anyway hard to criticise this brilliant team. Still a long way to go. CTID. Also, fuck the corruption.

i will just leave this here

Liv-City-VAR-1.png
The glimpse that I saw on the Salah one seemed to indicate that Stones played him onside. That line is different to the one showed on my coverage. Where did this one come from?

Having asked that, after spending three and a half minutes to disallow the Sheffield goal the day before, and then brushing this one off, is it any wonder City fans (and a helluva lot of fans from other clubs judging by what I have seen online) are questioning the fairness and consistency.

A lot of our problems were tactical
The main difference btw us and Liverpool was how organized their press was compared to ours.

Our press is very soft these days. And that's an issue that starts with our forwards and planning.

Aguero is a poor presser of the ball and Sterling, Bernado and KDB were running too many energy wasting Solo press attempts.

As the initial player starts a hard press on the ball holder ( something Aguero almost never does with the required gusto) the other 2 forwards must equally attack the other passing options with similar intensity. The goal is to force the ball back to the goalie for a punt. We repeatedly failed at this.

Our possession was good, contrary to popular opinion, Rodri and Gundogan created a good base of ball control, but our interplay in the final third was pedestrian. And the Refereeing errors didn't help.

While most will focus on Gundogan (and he had his faults) my main problem was starting Aguero. We are just not that good of a pressure team when Aguero leads the line.

From s tactical point of view, we should bhave had 3 Centerbacks and 2 Wingbacks. Walker playing as one of those CBs to take advantage of his speed (albeit, his lack of positional awareness might be detrimental. But in a 3 with instructions to close on Mane or Salah ( whichever one is o his side) I think he'd have done better.

Dihno's positioning was equally suspect all night. I know that isn't a popular point to make, but part of the reason this happens is because of how Pool plays. With Firnino often dropping out of the point of attack with Mane or Salah cutting inside.

You need Centerbacks with primary responsibility in both. Should have been Dihno on one and Walker on the other with John playing support and cleanup.

The 3 CMs was probably correct (in spite of the majority pretense to the contrary) Rodri and Gundogan controlled possession well, and Kevin drove us forward often. But it could have been Bernado or Foden as the 3rd midfielder in the middle (to suit the masses). So long as they kept possession and pressed correctly.

Forwards should bhave been Sterling and Jesus to start the press on the CBs with Kev pressing the DM.

Wingbacks should have been Angelino and Cancelo.

We would have had a better chance with such Personnel and tactics

That's a sensible analysis. I'm not sure our press was a bad as you make it sound and I think a bigger problem than the tactics was basic errors.

Sorry but why can’t he give a penalty?
We’ve seen plenty of pens given for similar handballs.

I like your point about the handball in the build up....I don’t think anyone in the media has made that point?

I agree I think it was a penalty. The point is the goal cant stand because of handball so the ref has to give City a free kick. But as the ref doesnt think it's a penalty where should Citys free kick have been taken ?.
Or is it a case of which rule is ignored ?

I really dont understand why nothing is being made of the handball in the build up to the dippers first goal.

I guess it puts the ref in an impossible position cant allow the goal and doesn't believe it's a penalty, oh I will follow orders and give a goal....

A lot of our problems were tactical
The main difference btw us and Liverpool was how organized their press was compared to ours.

Our press is very soft these days. And that's an issue that starts with our forwards and planning.

Aguero is a poor presser of the ball and Sterling, Bernado and KDB were running too many energy wasting Solo press attempts.

As the initial player starts a hard press on the ball holder ( something Aguero almost never does with the required gusto) the other 2 forwards must equally attack the other passing options with similar intensity. The goal is to force the ball back to the goalie for a punt. We repeatedly failed at this.

Our possession was good, contrary to popular opinion, Rodri and Gundogan created a good base of ball control, but our interplay in the final third was pedestrian. And the Refereeing errors didn't help.

While most will focus on Gundogan (and he had his faults) my main problem was starting Aguero. We are just not that good of a pressure team when Aguero leads the line.

From s tactical point of view, we should bhave had 3 Centerbacks and 2 Wingbacks. Walker playing as one of those CBs to take advantage of his speed (albeit, his lack of positional awareness might be detrimental. But in a 3 with instructions to close on Mane or Salah ( whichever one is o his side) I think he'd have done better.

Dihno's positioning was equally suspect all night. I know that isn't a popular point to make, but part of the reason this happens is because of how Pool plays. With Firnino often dropping out of the point of attack with Mane or Salah cutting inside.

You need Centerbacks with primary responsibility in both. Should have been Dihno on one and Walker on the other with John playing support and cleanup.

The 3 CMs was probably correct (in spite of the majority pretense to the contrary) Rodri and Gundogan controlled possession well, and Kevin drove us forward often. But it could have been Bernado or Foden as the 3rd midfielder in the middle (to suit the masses). So long as they kept possession and pressed correctly.

Forwards should bhave been Sterling and Jesus to start the press on the CBs with Kev pressing the DM.

Wingbacks should have been Angelino and Cancelo.

We would have had a better chance with such Personnel and tactics

excellent points re the press

Bernardo didn’t set up a chance for a teammate or have a shot himself so it’s not handball for him as it was so close to him he had no idea about it.

Alexander-Arnold tensed his arm as the ball struck it. It doesn’t matter about arm raised or unnatural position, because to tense your arm as the ball strikes it is an intentional control of the ball.

It’s handball!
The way I see it he was looking to cross the ball, so if it hit his arm he couldn’t get a penalty. What is wrong is that in the buildup to their goal there was AA’s arm so as haircut said, it should have been ruled out. Let’s see howthe PL explain this

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.