City Football Group | Secure $650m loan facility for infrastructure projects (p 54)

Interesting quote from Khaldoon :

Khaldoon Al Mubarak has indicated that the proceeds from the investment will be used by City Football Group to fund international business growth opportunities and develop further CFG technology and infrastructure assets.

See also https://www.silverlake.com/Images/Uploads/docs/Silverlake26111911085014950.pdf

2nd link has more content.

It reads like the same type of transaction as Chinese Media Capital.

As per my comment above this shows that MCFC are not a state investment but a commercial operation.

Another point: Intellectually this ends the argument that ABu Dhabi controls Man City.

Not from the point that Sheikh Mansour's shareholding is diluted, but that if a state really is investing and controlling MCFC, then it does not need the funds from an overseas partner for growth. Clearly City have been and are operating on a commercial basis, not governmental basis. Expect this point to be lost on those with a vendetta, but I think a major underpinning of the argument that City are an adjunct of Abu Dhabi has just gone. A state doesn't look for financial help from commercial partners that dilute its holding. Although the investment does bring expertise.

It's not like Mansour is short of cash to expand the stadium if he wanted to.

Maybe i'll be wrong, but I suspect this is probably not going to mean much to Manchester City or City fans on a day to day basis, just like the 300m from China didn't change anything.

A good sign that the plan is working though, and maybe it'll open up some silicon valley money on the sponsorship side.
How do you know it didn't change anything?

This is about moving into the worldwide entertainment business in my opinion.

Not sure what it will look like but at a guess some sort of subscription platform with various levels of access. My guess is that they feel football is nowhere near reaching its potential as an entertainment business. How that fits in with the collective bargaining model we currently have no idea. Maybe much more behind the scenes access ?

Either way I think that this signals significant further revenue growth.

This. No accident that the UEFA head honcho at the Etihad coincided with the announcement.

We are not privvy to the latest thinking behind Sorans vision for CFG but having a presence in different leagues around the world presents new opportunities in this age of technology. The maximum number of supporters watching a game live at a ground is around 100,000 whilst linking through technology numbers are unlimited with scope for all sorts of new developments.

We do not yet know the vision but Silver Lake would not be investing if they did not believe they will see a good return on investment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.