Protecting your car over winter

My Trabant looks after itself......
DSC_0255.jpg
Who's the old **** trying, unsuccessful, to hang onto his youth?

I had 4 Ladas starting 1978, and never once did they fail to start first time in winter for the 12 years I had them. Seriously. Designed for Russian winters, the handbook said about the heating system "at -25c outside temperature, the heating will be +25c on the windscreen and +30c at your feet".

Not needed for the 4 or 5 days a year when we have half an inch of snow down.
It's still worth it mate, it only takes one slip to write your vehicle off ....or die

20191130-091731.jpg

This was yesterday morning, now I just drive around with a full bed of snow for the next 5 months

2 years ago I bought a mint 320 SLK, 53 plate and Welsh weather is no friend of a decent car. Earlier this year I rented a large storage space, all warm, snuggly and dry, so she sits in there with a boat and 11 outboard motors for company until the spring. Apart from the usual fluid level checks and regular oil change and a run out in the dry, that's all I'll do. The van and wifies car have just been serviced and parked on the drive to face the perils of Cader Idris.

What do you do? I love my car but living on a main road, cold weather, short journeys etc etc, I feel sorry for her in the winter months. What's the best thing to do? A proper clean, wax, clay and valet and suck it up, or store her over winter and get a cheap banger?

If you love it that much, buy a house with a heated garage, ya cheapskate.

For winter what you actually need is a sealant and not wax. If you must, you can always put wax over a sealant to give it that glossy look.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.