Biggest mistakes of the decade.

Seeing as we're now in a new decade I thought why not pick out our biggest mistakes of the decade? A bit of fun. Signings made, signings not made, tactical errors etc etc

I'm going for letting Tevez leave too early. Not throwing money at Southampton for VVD.
Not throwing money at dick tracy is a load of bollocks. We became the centurions and the fourmidables without him.
Not having it mate, wasn't a mistake one iota.
Try something else.

Trying to come up with something that hasn't been posted yet, might be clutching at straws.

Announcing Pellegrini leaving in the middle of the season. Think it's easy to forget we actually started that season pretty well, and in December we went to Leicester in their backyard and outplayed them, even though we only got a draw. Leicesters momentum that season was ridiculous and from memory it was really only us and maybe Arsenal capable of actually looking like the much better team against them. Then the Guardiola announcement in January, and straight after Leicester came to the Etihad and destroyed us. I still think if we waited a little bit with the announcement, the performances would feel less laboured in the league, and our experience could maybe help us over the line against Leicester and Tottenham. Maybe better Semi finals against Madrid as well

KdB misses open net against Chelsea december 2016. Similiar mental gymnastics.
Chelsea were on a win streak that would later help them set the wins record. But I never actually thought they were that good. We were playing them off the park for around 60 minutes, taking the lead from a deflected Navas cross, but then the wasted chances started. Kevs open net the biggest. Then Chelsea countered in 1, 2 and 3. Our title aspirations felt like it ended right there and then.

Not winning 8-0 by half-time against United April 2018 is another.

All nitpicks really, we had a fantastic decade, a decade no fans really should expect again. But better yet, we have all the foundations in place to actually better it :)

Trying to come up with something that hasn't been posted yet, might be clutching at straws.

Announcing Pellegrini leaving in the middle of the season. Think it's easy to forget we actually started that season pretty well, and in December we went to Leicester in their backyard and outplayed them, even though we only got a draw. Leicesters momentum that season was ridiculous and from memory it was really only us and maybe Arsenal capable of actually looking like the much better team against them. Then the Guardiola announcement in January, and straight after Leicester came to the Etihad and destroyed us. I still think if we waited a little bit with the announcement, the performances would feel less laboured in the league, and our experience could maybe help us over the line against Leicester and Tottenham. Maybe better Semi finals against Madrid as well

KdB misses open net against Chelsea december 2016. Similiar mental gymnastics.
Chelsea were on a win streak that would later help them set the wins record. But I never actually thought they were that good. We were playing them off the park for around 60 minutes, taking the lead from a deflected Navas cross, but then the wasted chances started. Kevs open net the biggest. Then Chelsea countered in 1, 2 and 3. Our title aspirations felt like it ended right there and then.

Not winning 8-0 by half-time against United April 2018 is another.

All nitpicks really, we had a fantastic decade, a decade no fans really should expect again. But better yet, we have all the foundations in place to actually better it :)

That announcement was a scum win at West Ham away from knocking us out of the CL for Peps first season. A bus attack to be grateful for! Good old West Ham!

That announcement was a scum win at West Ham away from knocking us out of the CL for Peps first season. A bus attack to be grateful for! Good old West Ham!
True!
To be fair, the squad we had that season was probably the worst team we had this decade. Kompany injured, Nasri injured, KdB injured for vital parts of the season, Silvas worst season for us imo, full backs old, Yaya old and lazy, Ferna overworked, Demichelis old and finished, Hart regressed a lot, Otamendi struggling to adapt, Sterling no confidence. Navas useless. Bony existing.

But even then, I think the season unfolded in a way that it would be possible for us to actually to do a lot more then we did, without necessariliy earning it lol

Prior to Pep's signing...

Our biggest mistake was probably not backing our manager 100% when player-manager conflicts occurred. Bobby was certainly screwed by this, forced to kowtow to Tevez, and fighting anti-management intrigues by several players.

At first Pellers was welcomed - but he too soon experienced anti-manager intrigues.

Thank God Pep/management got rid of this problem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.