Crystal Palace (H) - Post Match

Not a scrap of luck today. Every pinball in the Palace area dropped to one of theirs, and the desperate hoofs seemed to land on the toe of the only player they didn't have crammed in their defensive third. But I'm gonna carry out a scientific experiment to determine which is the shittier - our defensive capabilities, VAR or the atrocious reffing that keeps turning up at our ground. I've just got to find a shiny penny!

Why is Pep changing a winning team, Liverpool play essentially the same 11 every week, momentum is a major factor with players, I’m not Mahrez biggest fan but he’s in form, Sterling isn’t, it’s an easy choice. The way we play high will always give teams like Palace a chance that’s why we need to score 3 a game to ensure we win.

Yeah I mean I understand why people are pissed, but I have already written off winning the league, I never thought it we had even a 1% chance of winning it.

So I understand rotating Jesus and Mahrez and hence being forced to play Bernardo out there. It's also good (but really bad) to know Stones can't really be relied on consistently.

So now we know, against Real Madrid for example the starting line up MUST include Mahrez, Jesus, Laporte and Dinho, rest about in other games to get these 4 fit for important games. Hopefully the other players can get in form with the rotation. I would also probably go Bernardo over David in midfield, as he provides more protection with Gundogan.

On Gundogan, how did people not notice how great his passing was? Honestly shocked how people can blame him for anything, he isn't a defensive midfielder, he is a deep lying playmker.

Cancelo also had a terrible 2nd half but I can forgive that somewhat as he only started playing more, but something must have happened either instruction or onfield, because he was quite more erratic in that 2nd half.

David shouldn't start CL games, legs are gone. The idea today was that he is stil good against deep sitting defences but he's not in form, we should play Foden there. Bernie over Dave any day of the week.

We all know that and Pep knows it and has even mentioned it. But will ALL systems there are strengths and weaknesses - ours relies on defenders being able to defend one vs one and numerous of them cannt (Stones, Mendy and Otto all be ing vulnerable at times). It relies on a mobile/clever defensive midfielder (Ferna) but at present we have at times got Gundogan who aint defensive minded and certainly aint mobile )

You have to weigh up the positives and negatives and there are far more positives to playing the way Pep does than negatives

My onlyslight criticism would be adapting that style of play when needed - Pep rarely if ever sacrifices this (you could see this as a huge positive as well - ie commitment to what he believes) but there is the odd game (Dippers away for instance) where i thikn he could do it but doesnt

Absolutely. All systems have a potential weakness somewhere, and I prefer our system under Pep to any other system I’ve ever watched, for city or anyone else.
(Well maybe apart from Brazil’s 82 World Cup team ;-)

I’m
Their equaliser was a fluke.

We need to stop playing Fernandinho in Central defence. I know most will blame Stones but for me he did OK. He pushed zaha wide and Zaha smashed it across and it hit Fern and went in. Yet to see it on TV.

Stones looked like he got injured again.
I’m with you about Stones and I refuse to jump on the Stones hating bandwagon. He did the right thing shepherding Zaha away from the danger zone but Zaha managed to get a completely speculative cross in that shouldn’t have been any trouble but unfortunately it hit Fern.

When Laporte gets back we have to play him with Stones and switch Fern back to midfield.

Trouble is Pep is so effing stubborn I think we all know what will happen.

Too frustrating for words. No way should we be winning with three minutes to go and throw it away it's just criminal. Stones time here is done. He is still making the same mistakes he did when he first came, also he is weak mentally and physically. He's fine strolling around passing the ball under no pressure and that's it. Cancello.....not sure he fits in here or wants to. For Gundogan see Stones, although he isn't as bad.

Big rebuild is needed in the summer, especially at the back. We thought we had it done with Mendy, Laporte and Stones being young and of top potential, unfortunately it hasn't worked out.

The crazy thing is that as inconsistent and woeful we have been at times we would be top of the league but for Liverpool having such an exceptional season. The worrying thing is I think they will be as good for a few years yet and they have some top class youth players coming through.

That happened because KDB lost a tackle that was at least 80/20 in his favour & that allowed Palace to break. The number of tackles we lost that we should have won was criminal. There was one where Zara had 3 City players around him, all capable of winning the ball, but somehow came away with it unchallenged.

Having got into a winning position with minutes to go, yet again we didn't show the drive or desire to defend that lead. Soriano and Begiristain should be asking the same hard questions of Pep that Cook & Marwood asked of Hughes when his team went through a patch where we couldn't hold onto a lead. And if Pep can't answer those questions satisfactorily then he can have no complaints if he suffers the same fate.

I'd turn the last paragraph around and say Pep should be asking to see the money! Look how our turnover and commercial income and wealth keep increasing, yet for some reason we still don't seem to have the cahunas at board level or as a club to spend what it takes to match our supposed ambition.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.