Crystal Palace (H) - Post Match

There's no way that penalty decision is overturned for the home team at either Anfield or Old Trafford , that's 100% fact ..
We keep hearing VAR will only overturn a decision if it's clear and obvious error , well a penalty may have been harsh but we've seen plenty no worse than that given , Liverpool v Spurs in the champions league final , Utd v PSG , Danny Rose v us to name just a few ...seems to me the high bar they set for overturning decisions , is a flexible high bar , which seems to be raised higher and lower depending on the teams that are playing....
The exact same thing will happen in the next few weeks & the pen won’t be over ruled, we all know it. Are we just supposed to expect this now , well that’s the way it is ....

What I can't understand is where this half-arsed approach to some games comes from. It was there already agains Brighton when we pressed half-heartedly which put pressure on the defenders and Laporte got injured. Then we were half-arsed against Norwich...Already from the pace of the first passes I can tell whether the necessary concentration to move the ball quickly is there or not.

Guess the players haven't been mentally up for another battle in the league and have decided for themselves that the CL is the priority this season, especially after seeing Liverpool players getting much more recognition than our players.

If this is the case we won't be lethargic in the CL. But if you are not totally concentrated in the league you might find it hard to switch to electric football in the CL. I hope that all the pain in the league will help us perform better in the CL.

I watched the highlights on MOTD. I think the criticism of Stones for the Wolves goal is unfair. He was about the only player who made a challenge on Zaha. He got just about done for pace. Look where Cancelo was. Out of position. And look at the pathetic challenge of Rodri. Stones got exposed one on one by Zaha, but he largely defended the situation OK, he forced him wide. Cancelo and Rodri also messed up. No comments. Perhaps Stones could have got a challenge in but I think he;s low on confidence and was wary of giving away a pen.

There's no way that penalty decision is overturned for the home team at either Anfield or Old Trafford , that's 100% fact ..
We keep hearing VAR will only overturn a decision if it's clear and obvious error , well a penalty may have been harsh but we've seen plenty no worse than that given , Liverpool v Spurs in the champions league final , Utd v PSG , Danny Rose v us to name just a few ...seems to me the high bar they set for overturning decisions , is a flexible high bar , which seems to be raised higher and lower depending on the teams that are playing....
It would be overturned. It was never a penalty. I don't have a problem with that decision.

You could ask why wasn't the push on Fernandinho reviewed at KDB's free-kick. He appealed for it.

This is one of the big flaws of FFP which the commentators have not picked up on. It creates a clamour from players and acting to con the VAR. City don't generally do it. Man Utd and Liverpool players do it.

Last edited:
What I can't understand is where this half-arsed approach to some games comes from. It was there already agains Brighton when we pressed half-heartedly which put pressure on the defenders and Laporte got injured. Then we were half-arsed against Norwich...Already from the pace of the first passes I can tell whether the necessary concentration to move the ball quickly is there or not.

Guess the players haven't been mentally up for another battle in the league and have decided for themselves that the CL is the priority this season, especially after seeing Liverpool players getting much more recognition than our players.

If this is the case we won't be lethargic in the CL. But if you are not totally concentrated in the league you might find it hard to switch to electric football in the CL. I hope that all the pain in the league will help us perform better in the CL.

Its not so much of a coincidence that bar City every side that has won the title since our first has not qualified for the Chumps League via their position the following season , Chelsea twice , Manure and Leicester.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool drop off significantly next season.

You only need a few long term injuries to key players and you are struggling plus the mental side of doing it again and again which bar us hasn't happened since Fergie and Wenger many years ago now.

It was a clear and obvious error. Had that been given against us we'd have been raging and rightly so. Reminded me of the pen given against Micah at Anfield.
If the ball has struck his hand and a penalty has been awarded how can the error be clear and obvious? It's not like it's hit his face?

At least we didn’t lose, our inability to take our chances was there again today, spunking away chance after chance to score. CP defended well in numbers as most do when they come here, and YET we still try and walk the ball into the net. I dread to think how we will cope with RM if we defend like we did yesterday.
Cancelo was out of position for the last goal, as soon as Zaha picked up the ball he should have been floored. I staggered to believe that our players are so scared of tackling. If that was any other team, Zaha would have been scythed to the ground. Take one for the team and waste a few seconds. I am still furious at our ‘schoolboy’ defending. Cancelo is not doing himself any favours performing like this, and it’s not the first time. No wonder Pep doesn’t play him as often as Cancelo would like. Not sure what the fcuk is going on with Stones, he seems like a shadow of his former self. He might need to move on as it looks like he can’t perform at the standard needed by us.
Merlin, is getting slower by the game. I’m gutted, as in my opinion he’s one of the greatest to ever play in the PL.
Sterling makes my blood boil at times, screaming for the ball, only to balloon it over the bar or smash it into a defenders legs.

Don’t understand why Walker wasn’t picked. Every time I’ve seen City v Palace in recent seasons. Walker has snuffed out any danger with Zaha.
Do you reckon Pep is trying different things out for the long term gain because he knows the league has gone ?
If he is, why not play Foden for Silva?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.