Crystal Palace (H) - Post Match

We didn’t win today because we didn’t commit the tactical foul on 90 minutes on the halfway line that we are renowned for. I though our passing for most of the game was crisp and we were wearing out the Palace Team.

it was our control of the ball that seemed to let us down and the fact that we don’t have power in the air. Sterling’s control in the first half was poor as was Gundo’s passing. Our most reliable player, Fernandinho, made a mistake. They happens sometimes.

I think we are looking good overall.
Yep. This is a quality team we get to watch and I’m sure every fan would want most of the team to play in their colours and to enjoy seasons we are now unfortunately taking for granted. Sigh.

giphy.gif
Yep... did somebody hack Colin's profile because this is a very strange post?

I'm completely calm unlike many on here who after a set back completely overreact.

Stones does his job and its a masterstroke by Pep whose subs turn the game around, he doesn't and we need to replace the manager.

What does it say about elements of our fanbase when they want to replace a manager who is 2nd in the league, favourite to win one cup and deep into two others.

He is likely to win SIX domestic trophies on the trot, its fucking madness.

The team needs a slight rebuild, once that is done then Pep can be judged if he is the man to take us forward, not before.

For all the doubters I would be very interested who they think can do a better job, they probably want Mancini back...
No one that I can see is saying the board should be meeting today or Monday to decide whether to sack him this week because we fucked up against Palace again. But you seem to think people are saying that as you've got so uptight about it that you're not reading what people are writing. What people are saying is that we might need to accept that, as good a manager as he is, there's a possibility that he's reached his peak with us or he's burned himself out. He might think he's at that stage and decide to go at the end of next season, when his contract ends.

As you've mentioned Mancini, there was a great example of a manager who gave us a kick up the backside when we needed it. But eventually the players got tired of his angry man schtick and many were threatening to walk. That was Mancini, for better or worse, and that's why he had a short shelf-life at a club. We also had a sense of misguided loyalty to him as we should have let him walk in the summer of 2012 as he was threatening to do.

So unless something dramatic and unforeseen happens, Pep has another season and a half here. There is currently no better manager in the world than Pep but if things have gone stale and he can't or doesn't want to turn things round then he won't be here in 2021/22. We may not get a "better" manager but we might get one who's better for us at that time. And so the cycle starts again.

Jesus - I generally give this place a swerve after a poor result, but coming on here this morning and reading some of this thread is genuinely depressing.

When did our fan base become such a reactionary, entitled, melodramatic, disloyal bunch of prima donnas!

This is a man who, just 6 months ago, won a clean sweep of domestic trophies and built a side which entertained us with the best football this club has ever witnessed. He achieved all this to a backdrop of constant attacks from our parasitic, corrupt, elitist media, retaining a dignity through it all that is a credit to our club.

Clearly this season has seen a drop in form, and there are a number of reasons for this - not least the well documented injuries to key players, loss of form/appetite amongst others and at best bafflingly inconsistent - at worst corrupt - officiating.

It’s clear we’re looking at a rebuild - the spine of the team responsible for all our recent success has grown old and left under Pep - Vinny, Yaya, Joe, Zabba, Fernandinho, David and Kun - next season, we’ll only have two of those still with us, and only Zabba and Joe have been properly replaced. Some players need moving on too - I would include Stones, Otamendi and Sane in that list. That’s a huge squad overhaul, whichever way you look at it.

Who else out there has more clearly demonstrated they deserve the responsibility for that rebuild than the greatest Manager that most of us have been lucky enough to see at our club?

Surely he’s earned the right for a bit of faith and belief from our fan base after what he’s achieved here.

No one that I can see is saying the board should be meeting today or Monday to decide whether to sack him this week because we fucked up against Palace again. But you seem to think people are saying that as you've got so uptight about it that you're not reading what people are writing. What people are saying is that we might need to accept that, as good a manager as he is, there's a possibility that he's reached his peak with us or he's burned himself out. He might think he's at that stage and decide to go at the end of next season, when his contract ends.

As you've mentioned Mancini, there was a great example of a manager who gave us a kick up the backside when we needed it. But eventually the players got tired of his angry man schtick and many were threatening to walk. That was Mancini, for better or worse, and that's why he had a short shelf-life at a club. We also had a sense of misguided loyalty to him as we should have let him walk in the summer of 2012 as he was threatening to do.

So unless something dramatic and unforeseen happens, Pep has another season and a half here. There is currently no better manager in the world than Pep but if things have gone stale and he can't or doesn't want to turn things round then he won't be here in 2021/22. We may not get a "better" manager but we might get one who's better for us at that time. And so the cycle starts again.
If things have gone stale. The evidence suggests that we have not gone stale but that we can not handle injury to Laporte.

Anyone can argue that if x happens we should do y. You need to say whether you think x has happened i.e. Pep has lost the players. We can all agree with a generality that once a coach loses the dressing room he is done. If you claim that Pep has indeed lost the players, and should be doing a better job at defensively drilling the team, then I think this argument will indeed get criticism. There's no justification for it. We know the side's struggling but there are more obvious explanations than putting it down to the coaching

Last edited:

I like that, a balanced and more importantly realistic take.

Can’t understand some on here wanting Pep to get the sack. Most successful manager in England the past few years. Last year won the domestic treble plus back to back titles holding off tremendous pressure from Liverpool to win it. This season was always going to be a down turn, counter that with Kompany leaving, Laporte injury. Not getting another centre half was an error. Pep deserves a lot of credit and much more importantly support now.

I’ve questioned every manager we’ve ever had, but even I draw the line with Pep. You talk about defensive frailties and Pep being held accountable for them, but you have to take into account the context. Kompany gone, our best defender injured, Otamendi struggling, Stones struggling, Fernandinho playing out of position. Those who were pointing out our over reliance on Laporte before a ball was kicked have been vindicated. You think Pep can’t see these problems? It’s clear a rebuild is required and I’m desperate for Pep to be the man in charge whilst this happens. I understand he’s probably off soon, but I’m convinced he understands what is needed and is the man to deliver it before he hands over the reins. We may well end up looking back on the Pep era as out best ever period in terms of trophies and performance levels, I doubt we’ll replace him with a better manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.