Spurs (A) Post Match Thread

Didn't see exactly what Zinchenko did to get his first yellow in the melee after Gundogan's penalty, but no complaints at all about the second. It was as clear a booking as you will see, and Zinchenko himself has apologised for it. It undoubtedly cost us the game.
To his credit he was straight in there when spurs players - some had run 30 yards - were having a go at Sterling. Can't recall the spurs player but fuck me he couldn't wait to give Sterling some shit.

Would seem an issue with the goalkeeping if so few chances lead to so many goals.

Can't blame either keeper for the goals in the last two matches. The Matic and the first one yesterday were both really clean strikes into the bottom corner, the Son goal was a comfortable save until it deflected off Fernandinho's boot.

Would seem an issue with the goalkeeping if so few chances lead to so many goals.

Ed was thoroughly unsighted for the first. I was directly in line with it. He saw it very late. I believe he would have got it if he'd seen it coming, although there's no way of knowing, obviously. For the second, there was apparently a deflection. And there's no legislating for that.
No, the truth is - even if it's very hard to swallow - we were a mess for ten minutes, during which the game was won and lost. Otherwise, for about seventy-five minutes, both before and after that period, we were clearly the better team. Dominating Spurs, in fact making them look scared, on their own turf! It's no consolation, but any neutral would recognise that that's the way it was

Well, if you believe Pep, we aspire to be European Champions. I ( and many others on here) have been saying all year there is no chance we win it with that defence. That issue is now compounded by the fact that we are struggling to score. It isn’t just today. Yes we have scored a lot of goals but the number of chances we have squandered is mind blowing.

if we can’t win the champions league then our next goal has to be to compete in the league. Liverpool have now raised the bar we set in the last two seasons and we have to strengthen if we are to compete with them.
Liverpool's time at the top will be short lived - their superstars are all in the 27/28/29 age bracket - all at their peak whereas we have more of a spread amongst our top players. They won't find replacements for Salah, Firmino and Mane easily. VVD is coming up to 29 - wasted a lot of years at lesser teams. Klopp's been there over five years, and his wife hates living here. We were all a bit surprised when he left Dortmund. Things can change very quickly. We're second, still in every Cup and at Wembley. Not bad seeing as we're struggling. That's the context - struggling but still good enough to remain in every Cup.

Some on the BBC HYS realise that they were schooled and can't believe they got any points, let alone 3.

Every one of my mates knows we got lucky. Not met a Spurs fan that thinks otherwise.
But we have been in games like that many many times. Batter the opposition and lose to a sucker punch.

And as for VAR.....hate it. Even when it goes in our favour. It is an abomination.

Agreed and not disputing he deserved the red. However if we could take a bloody corner properly and if gundogan had done what he half heartedly attempted then Zin wouldn’t of needed to foul him.
And if the ref hadn't given Sterling a yellow for his 'foul' on Ali then the clamour for another one wouldn't have occured, Zinchenko wouldn't have had to help out his team mate, picking up a yellow in the process, and would've been able to take Winks out without getting sent off...

The best 11 is a strange one as although rotation is important I feel that you should only rotate when a player's performance drops. If Jesus scores a hattrick in one game he should not be dropped for the next game for example, no matter what. If a player knows that their performance won't make any difference it's difficult to keep them motivated and it could be my imagination but rotation seems heavy this year.

I can see both sides of the argument, to be honest. At our best in the last two years the system trumped the players, so any player coming in new where he needed to be, so you could swap, say, Sane and Silva and still have more or less the same outcome. Through a mixture of injuries, failure in the champs league or teams figuring it out, Pep is clearly now trying to figure out Plan As and Bs with the players he has, and the "best" player might not fit that. If that brings 2 years of success after this season, and we are experimenting now to achieve that, then so be it. But it can be frustrating to watch week in week out, when you know Mahrez and Jesus would probably do something having a proper run in the team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.