New York advice

Yeah, it can be difficult. I'm sure they are worried about undercover sting jobs by the police and getting cited for not complying with the local i.d. ordinances.

If you think that's bad, I was in Boston about 20 years ago, at a Red Sox game. They'd only sell you beer if you had a Massachussetts or New Hampshire ID card. Luckily, I found a vendor that took pity on m . :-)
Yes there are venues in Boston that have a sign up saying if you are from Rhode Island you need to provide 2 forms of ID!

When i first moved here a local bar stated Massachusetts ID only and the bouncer wouldn't let me in. It was only because my friend was pals with the manager that they let me in with my UK licence

Remember watching City v Liverpool at Yankee stadium amd you get the beer sellers walking down the aisles.
Spent half the game passing down money and ID cards along the aisle towards the seller and then passing back the change and the ID card the other way to he buyer!

There is some excellent stuff to consider from many of you, huge thanks.
I really fancy the high level walk. One of Skyscraper visits will be a must along with a river cruise or the ferry.
Missing the Statue of Liberty seems to be a common theme in many reviews too.

Looked at taking in a show or 2 , but side swiping that at $200 a pop
Gutted that Billy Joel is on at MSG the day we arrive, we land at 16:40, show starts at 8, after a days travelling and then a mad rush, too much
We booked Top of the Rock for sunset and it was the highlight for all of us. We booked group tickets in advance and waited for a favourable weather forecast. Queued on the morning and redeemed our voucher- you then get a slot for the sunset.
As I say , get yourself on Facebook- all the tips are there as well as up and coming offers. We stayed on the group for 6 months after we came back as the pangs to return were just too much.
Also , search on here for the key word New York as there has been quite a few threads over the years and they are great for reference.
Highlights of our trip in Feb 2018 with the family :-

PJ Clarkes - Irish Burger Bar from the 20's
Helens Stardust Diner
Horse drawn coach through Central Park
The Highline
Central Station
Central Café near the station
The Mad Hatter :( to watch City gat beat by Wigan
Katz Diner (no Meg :( ) - Pastrami is minging
911 is just incredibly poignant and fitting
Dumbo and Brooklyn Bridge
Times Square

be prepared to walk - we did 10 miles a day and I'm in my 50's so no excuse

What really took me aback and I really wasn't prepared for though and contrary to some on this thread and general folklore was just how friendly the people are. We found them polite ,very helpful and quite Northern in attitude and pride in their City.

I know you have been before but I am told it has changed massively for the better - post 911
Fill your boots and spend the cash - we are all in that box for a long time.

Last edited:
Oh hey, a thread I can actually be useful in. Born and raised in Brooklyn so if anyone has any questions on pretty much anything always feel free.

The one thing I tell everyone coming to visit: please never buy tourist tours from people selling them on the street. Half of them are overpriced, the other half are just scams. Please just go online. Also as other have said, just take the Staten Island Ferry instead of paying to go to the statue of liberty, you get a great view and if it's at dusk, or even at night, the view of the skyline is also really cool. Though you're probably going to want to just hop on the next one back (unless you're into Sri Lankan food, which Staten Island weirdly has in abundance).

If you end up in Brookly definitely give the famous pizza places a visit.

You have to queue for...too long, but it's worth it. Lucali, Best Pizza, Di Fara, Tottonos.

Best Pizza is my favourite because it's 80% as good as Lucali with 20% the queue.

We went last year for the wife's 50th and to be honest, wasn't looking forward to it as I don't like crowds, which is why I love the Etihad!!!

Seriously though, loved it, although we stuck to the main touristy stuff, Empire State, 9-11, Statue of Liberty etc but you'll have a blast mate.

It might be too late, if you've already booked accommodation but the best piece of advice we got was to stay outside Manhattan, so we had an AirBNB in Hoboken and it was brilliant. Short train ride in and out each day but when we got back, could sit and look at the Manhattan skyline every night, which is incredible. It's also really nice to get out of the hustle and bustle occasionally and Hoboken is a nice, safe place to walk about.

If you end up in Brookly definitely give the famous pizza places a visit.

You have to queue for...too long, but it's worth it. Lucali, Best Pizza, Di Fara, Tottonos.

Best Pizza is my favourite because it's 80% as good as Lucali with 20% the queue.
Adding to this, my favorite pizza places are Di Fara's if you're in Brooklyn and Johns of Bleecker Street or Joe's in Greenwich Village if you're in Manhattan. Best Pizza, Roberta's, and Prince Street Pizza are also great. And the one place thats super popular with tourists that I definitely wouldn't recommend is Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, the line is way too long and it's gone way down hill recently. If you're in that area walk down the street to Juliana's, which is way better, or take a walk through Brooklyn Heights to Dellarocco's, a place that no one knows about but used to me my go to when I lived in the area.

Lucali is truly amazing but I wouldn't recommend it only because its basically impossible to get in there now, and when there are so many options it's probably not worth taking the time out of your holiday to wait on the line.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.