Dave Watson has neurodegenerative disease

Former England captain Dave Watson has a neurodegenerative disease which his wife Penny believes was most likely brought on by head injuries and repeated heading of the ball.

Watson, 73, won 65 caps and helped Sunderland win the 1973 FA Cup before guiding Manchester City to League Cup success three years later.

"Dave has good and bad days," she said.

"He tries to continue to enjoy a normal life, however almost every day we are confronted with a new challenge."

Penny Watson said her husband's consultant thought that it was "in all probability chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)" - the disease determined as the cause of former West Brom striker Jeff Astle's death in 2002.

One of the finest footballing centre halves I have ever seen playing in a sky blue shirt for our team.He had everything in his locker,pace,footballing brain,wonderful tackler,could bring a ball out of the back with so much ease but to me his biggest attribute was his heading ability.
So sorry to hear that he has these severe problems.Keep going mate for your family and all those footie fans at all your previous clubs.
A true leader and as near to a Vinny as you could ever see.

Terrible news just saw it on BBC sport,one of my fave defenders off all time,love the header he scored against United.

As a kid I played centre half when big Dave was in the middle of our defence, as such he was more of a hero to me than the likes of Bell, Lee, Summerbee etc (though I was perhaps a little too yound to truly appreciate them). Sad news indeed. I'm sure I remember him heading out from our box and it landing in the oppositions

One of the finest players to wear our shirt, he was the gaffer in defence and nobody fucked with big Dave .... A very humble man but what a player.. I cant remember him having a bad game for us, what I wouldn't give to see him running our defence now .....

So sorry to hear of his illness...
As Parkside has already said, it stayed hit when big Dave stuck his noggin on it....!

Bloody awful news

I remember he was playing for Notts County in 1985 when we went there around Easter Bank Holiday and came from behind to win after a mini riot

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.