Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see the Maureen interview last night. Full on ‘Radio Rental’. Bizarre.... his comments about Chelsea and I think it was sparkling water with lemon! On a separate point Glen Hoddle looked terrible.... looked like death warmed up... don’t like his punditry but hope he’s okay.
He must have been a real bastard in a past life, then.

“Animals”, “Lost it”,“His dark side”.......arf! Very dramatic!

He pushed Lerma. He tripped Gomes. He aimed a slight kick out at Rudiger. Not exactly a very dark “dark side”, is it?

In each case, he had been fouled or provoked immediately beforehand. Lerma kicked the ball out of his hands after the whistle had blown. Gomes caught him in the face with an elbow. And Rudiger had given him a sly, little punch in the ribs. Lerma and Rudiger went down as if poleaxed. Oscar worthy performances. Gomes, very unluckily, collided with Aurier immediately after the trip and suffered a bad injury. Thankfully, he has recovered sooner than expected.
And in much the same way as you're defending him here, he was defended by team mates and managers after each incident. He reacted to slight provocation at Bournemouth and received a 3 match ban meaning he missed the end of last season and the start of this. He chased down 3 players at Everton in the same passage of play before he finally made a challenge on Gomes that put him out for the season. He reacted to slight provocation from Rudiger and kicked out earning himself another 3 match ban.

When he learns not to react (or lose it), he might stop getting sent off and you will have him for just under 8% more of your league matches. I'd say 3 red cards (albeit one was rescinded - although had he caught up with the first two players he went for he may well have made a rash challenge) in 21 league matches shows there is a dark side to him.

Lol. That’s very good. Strange how the media forgave him and he’s still employed whilst others are hung out to dry.

He lost the England manager’s job (a job he was doing well, compared to most others who have had it) and faced months, if not years, of criticism and ridicule for what he said. Should he never be allowed to have another job?

It’s worth remembering that his comments about disabled people and karma were made public because he was asked to express his religious beliefs for an interview by Matt Dickinson of the Times (a journalist who had long had it in for Hoddle). Now, you and I and most other people in the West might find such beliefs to be highly distasteful and just plain daft. But they happen to be beliefs that are espoused by the great majority of far eastern religions - Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Sikhism and Jainism - that represent, between them, some 1.75 billion people. In essence, then, his crime was nothing more than to answer Dickinson’s question honestly. And the subsequent reaction actually amounted to religious discrimination. There is no law against belief in Karma.

Who are these others that have been hung out to dry?

And in much the same way as you're defending him here, he was defended by team mates and managers after each incident. He reacted to slight provocation at Bournemouth and received a 3 match ban meaning he missed the end of last season and the start of this. He chased down 3 players at Everton in the same passage of play before he finally made a challenge on Gomes that put him out for the season. He reacted to slight provocation from Rudiger and kicked out earning himself another 3 match ban.

When he learns not to react (or lose it), he might stop getting sent off and you will have him for just under 8% more of your league matches. I'd say 3 red cards (albeit one was rescinded - although had he caught up with the first two players he went for he may well have made a rash challenge) in 21 league matches shows there is a dark side to him.

Every person on the planet has a dark side! My post merely wryly highlighted the hyperbolic language in your original post.

He lost the England manager’s job (a job he was doing well, compared to most others who have had it) and faced months, if not years, of criticism and ridicule for what he said. Should he never be allowed to have another job?

It’s worth remembering that his comments about disabled people and karma were made public because he was asked to express his religious beliefs for an interview by Matt Dickinson of the Times (a journalist who had long had it in for Hoddle). Now, you and I and most other people in the West might find such beliefs to be highly distasteful and just plain daft. But they happen to be beliefs that are espoused by the great majority of far eastern religions - Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Sikhism and Jainism - that represent, between them, some 1.75 billion people. In essence, then, his crime was nothing more than to answer Dickinson’s question honestly. And the subsequent reaction actually amounted to religious discrimination. There is no law against belief in Karma.

Who are these others that have been hung out to dry?
But he’s supposed to be a Christian, which as far as I recall, doesn’t have such beliefs as part of its ideology.

I had a young friend at the time, who was suffering from muscular dystrophy. How do you think he felt about Hoddle's comments?

And my post merely highlighted the fact that the more your managers, players and fans make excuses for his nasty behaviour, the more it’ll happen.
It's not really nasty mate, I think if this was any other team no body would make a comment. It's a bit of petulance perhaps. Posters are making out he's a Vinnie Jones meets Roy Keane. We see some posts earlier saying players were assassinated on the pitch, I think the modern day fan either is losing the plot or the game is

But he’s supposed to be a Christian, which as far as I recall, doesn’t have such beliefs as part of its ideology.

I had a young friend at the time, who was suffering from muscular dystrophy. How do you think he felt about Hoddle's comments?

Hoddle was a genius of a footballer and a decent manager but, like the vast majority of professional footballers, he could never be described as the sharpest tool in the box. He had come under the influence of Eileen Drewery and quite possibly others who dabble in the world of spirituality. Consequently, although he was supposedly a born again Christian, his new found faith clearly had something of the magpie about it - borrowing elements from other faiths, spirituality and cod philosophy. What he called himself is therefore unimportant. What he believed is all that matters.

And what he believed with respect to those with disabilities is no different to what 1.75 billion adherents to far eastern religions believe. I haven’t seen the Dalai Lama or Hindu leaders pilloried and ridiculed for it. But that’s precisely because they are religious leaders - men of learning and erudition. They are able to express themselves in such a manner that their beliefs don’t cause offence. Hoddle, alas, lacks the required eloquence and will always regret having said “them things” in such a muddled way in that interview.

And my post merely highlighted the fact that the more your managers, players and fans make excuses for his nasty behaviour, the more it’ll happen.

I remember a discussion I had with karen a year or so back about those fouls by Kane and Alli on your players. When I cited Sergio Aguero’s two red cards for two bad tackles on David Luiz by way of arguing that City players weren’t always angels themselves, the response was along the lines that Aguero had been provoked on both occasions. I didn’t feel the need to describe Aguero as an animal or talk ominously about his “dark side”. Nor did I assert that he would only do it more if karen continued to make excuses for him.

But each to their own, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.