COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately Cancer has affected my family and close friends very badly. 380,000 people will be diagnosed with Cancer this year in the UK and about 170,000 people will die and 1 in 3 of us in our life will get cancer.
And we do everything we can to avoid being diagnosed with cancer and you can’t catch cancer by attending a sporting event and mixing with people with cancer.

Yet again, your whataboutisms plumb the depth.

And he didn’t claim 1% was apocalyptical, did he.

To be fair, I am sure they have. There's lots of tough decisions to be made. It's not a "no brainer" to take actions which will put companies out of business and people out of work. Such decisions are inevitably a balance weighing up the risks, the possible benefit and the adverse consequences.

I am sure the government has top scientists working on it and providing daily advice and that yes there is an overall strategy. Whether we agree with it is s different question.

Any government would have top scientist working on it.

But the only plan I am seeing from gov is wait it out till it's warmer atm.

We are at infection rates similar to Italy 2 weeks ago, who acted too slowly, yes you have to balance the economic hit but lives come first

Heat also kills the virus, I say we make sure with a nice pyre.
5e4.jpg

I'm not supporting the idea myself, just responding to a quote that this was a BoJo/Cummings idea, but it is exactly what we are doing at the moment and what other countries have done. With the evidence from China, as soon as one case is confirmed to have spread within your borders then if you don't agree with the theory you should be advocating draconian travel bans & quarantine measures such as was observed within Wuhan. Of course everyone will say this is absurd, and it is, but that would be accepting that you are willing to allow the theory for some time, then declare war on it.

Yeah, to clarify I didn't think you supporting the idea. I just think regardless of the pros and cons of the idea it was a stupid thing for him to say when the message at the forefront should be reiterating what we personally need to be doing to slow the spread. Verbalising any kind of message along the lines of "what will be will be" is a needless distraction.

Travel bans and quarantines may be something we need to bite the bullet on if it deemed effective. I guess it also needs to be offset against the harm that would cause in itself. How many people will die as a result of putting the country in lockdown? Blows my mind how much scenario planning and forecasting must be going on in the background. I just hope that whatever we do is dictated by harm reduction rather than PR/optics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.