The Unthinkable

Cant see any games being played in the near future, but my take on it would be to postpone the season now, look to re start football for the euros in June (2020 or 2021), transfer window as usual, ask all prem teams to play friendlies in the uk as a show of solidarity to our smaller clubs, and complete the 2019-20 season from August to November, all competitions are then resolved. Divisions would then be split in two at this point (like the Scots did) A small winter break & transfer window, then the start of the 2020-21 season. With a reduced fixture list of 18 games + cups, December to May should offer plenty of time to complete a shortened season. The interest surrounding the top ten in the prem having an 18 game shootout would be massive, the scramble to secure one of these places would see a great finish to the 2019-20 season, and the popularity of domestic cups would increase. Extra revenue for cup competitions involving the lower league teams should be increased to offset lost revenue. All competitions completed, all winners anointed, all relegation/play offs resulted, no refunds for season tickets etc, we finish with a Champions League win and no ensuing ban as the myth of ffp is swept under the carpet with a few uefa cronies

Last edited:
I actually don't have a problem with them getting it - then at some point we can all move on.

indeed. Whatever happens for them it’s a huge anticlimax. Imagine football supporters were banned from every game next season for whatever reason. Would anyone really care who wins the league? There are much bigger concerns currently. We aren’t ordering and making more Ventilators for nothing. They will all be being used and there won’t be enough.

I'd be astonished if there's any football in April, behind closed doors or otherwise. I'd be delighted whether it meant they won the league or not because it would mean something unbelievably positive has happened with the virus but that looks incredibly unlikely now, if not impossible.

indeed. Whatever happens for them it’s a huge anticlimax. Imagine football supporters were banned from every game next season for whatever reason. Would anyone really care who wins the league? There are much bigger concerns currently. We aren’t ordering and making more Ventilators for nothing. They will all be being used and there won’t be enough.
Totally agree. Right now, football just does not matter. I'm very uncomfortable with all this 'What aboutour trophy ?' talk - as though Coronavirus will soon completely disappear and things are instantly back to normal.

Realistically, professional sport won't resume until this time next year so they can continue this season then.

the way forward would be to complete the season and cups and europe in the summer. then move the start of the new season to september or october and let clubs have bigger squads than the normal from 25 to 30 or 35 and play midweek games and weekend games for 2 or 3 months. then have a winter break and start again in feb 2021 yes it will be more games in a short space of time but the bigger squads should help and cover clubs and players

but this season has to finish or i could see big trouble in sorting out the mess ? forget liverpool being champions its the promotion and relegation in all the major leagues in england that needs to be played and sorted fairly. and football and the governing bodies can not just cancel and call it over and start again

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.