COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the response. From the Guardian tonight:

Why are people with symptoms not being tested?

It appears to be a capacity issue, although the Department of Health and Social Care failed to respond to repeated requests for explanation. So far there have been about 44,000 tests in England, which the government’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, told the health select committee put it in “the top three or four countries in terms of testing”. PHE has a capacity of about 4,000 tests per day, he said, although last week NHS England put out a press release saying it was scaling up to 10,000 a day. Vallance said 4,000 a day “is clearly not going to be enough going forward” and said there was “a very big effort going on to try and ramp that up”.

another question to answer. How the hell can we be so far behind the curve on this. How can we be the 'top three or four' countries for testing when we have basically stopped testing anyone that isnt in hospital.
I was listening to James Obrien today and caller after caller from our NHS was saying they have symptoms but could be flu, or a cold and they are following advice and staying at home. Surely at least NHS staff should be getting tested.
The whole issue of testing has been very confusing,they say different things every day,i think they were stung by the WHO getting exasperated when we went our own way

A GP was on telly his morning,she has been ill but couldn't get a test so she can't go back to work,one day they say they are testing if you have symptoms or have been with someone that has it you get the test,then it is patients in hospital only,yesterday they said GP's are doing them but they know nothing about it,now they are re-testing for antibodies,they are all over the place

Apologies if asked before and without making any political point whatsoever - because I have no interest in that - why are Beijing getting upset with Trump calling it the Chinese virus - is that not where it originated?- appreciate its a global pandemic and all that
Self-assembled in China but would that make it Chinese? Made in China but not made by China.

Quick question then mate.

I decided to meet my business partner for a couple of beers this afternoon, we chose a quiet place with barely anyone in, washed our hands on entering etc, and then sat a couple of metres apart whilst we drank and talked shop.

My argument/reasoning, is that I have a missus and daughter both still at a school, a son at Uni who is coming home due to the closure on Thursday, so what’s the fucking point of me trying my best to self isolate if I’ve got a far larger chance of infection walking through the door due to the other 3 members of my family being far more exposed.

Once school is shut and family all home then damned right I’ll stay at home and do my best to isolate my family.

Thoughts?

Well that’s a bit different of course and I get your point. But there’s plenty not changing their routine and still going down the pub and not taking those extra precautions you mentioned as though nothing has happened.

thanks for the response. From the Guardian tonight:

Why are people with symptoms not being tested?

It appears to be a capacity issue, although the Department of Health and Social Care failed to respond to repeated requests for explanation. So far there have been about 44,000 tests in England, which the government’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, told the health select committee put it in “the top three or four countries in terms of testing”. PHE has a capacity of about 4,000 tests per day, he said, although last week NHS England put out a press release saying it was scaling up to 10,000 a day. Vallance said 4,000 a day “is clearly not going to be enough going forward” and said there was “a very big effort going on to try and ramp that up”.

another question to answer. How the hell can we be so far behind the curve on this. How can we be the 'top three or four' countries for testing when we have basically stopped testing anyone that isnt in hospital.
I was listening to James Obrien today and caller after caller from our NHS was saying they have symptoms but could be flu, or a cold and they are following advice and staying at home. Surely at least NHS staff should be getting tested.
We are so far behind because of dithering at the beginning and going our own way and not listening to the WHO,i think we wasted the weeks we had being behind china and italy,the sports closing down forced them into doig what they didn't want to do,now we seem to have rushed in these new measures overnight

Spanish flu racist?
As a part Spaniard that has long since made his peace with everyone calling 1918 H1N1 the “Spanish Flu” and done it myself on occasion as shorthand... yes, calling SARS-COV-2 “Wuhan Flu” or “Chinese Flu” is racist (and wholly inaccurate, anyway), especially in certain contexts mentioned earlier.

But if we’re going to discuss those contexts we need to go to the Political Discussion Thread.

Seem to be a lot of asymptomatic celebrities and footballers (who can find ways of getting tested) who are asymptomatic. I think we may find that when the antibodies text comes in we might find that a lot more people have had it than we think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.