COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a FB post from someone who's a vegan saying we've brought this on ourselves due to eating animals and now the vegan population are having to pay for someone else's sins as this virus doesn't discriminate. While I'm not saying all vegans are the same, it was the typical "up your arse" comment you'd associate with some vegans. However, it did give me some food for thought (pardon the pun!) - so much so that I couldn't formulate a counter-argument.

every single local outdoor market in France sells live rabbits and chickens.
Probably true in Italy.
Difference being that chickens and rabbits have been domesticated for millennia and humans have already developed resistance to their viruses. We’ve not yet done that with bats and other exotic animals sold in the Chinese wet markets.

Schrödinger's bats.
Strange reporting by the BBC, the wording here made me feel a little uncomfortable.

Coronavirus: Giuseppe Berardelli among 50 priests killed

Father Giuseppe Berardelli, 72, died in hospital in Lovere, Bergamo - one of the worst-hit cities in Italy.

At least 50 priests have reportedly been killed by coronavirus in Italy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52015969
It doesn't seem strangely worded to me, I mean apart from the fact that I don't know why it made the news in the first place. I don't even know who this guy is.
Saw a FB post from someone who's a vegan saying we've brought this on ourselves due to eating animals and now the vegan population are having to pay for someone else's sins as this virus doesn't discriminate. While I'm not saying all vegans are the same, it was the typical "up your arse" comment you'd associate with some vegans. However, it did give me some food for thought (pardon the pun!) - so much so that I couldn't formulate a counter-argument.
Well there was that idiotic Twitter post by PETA on the subject at the start of this outbreak. Someone had posted it on here too, lemme see if I can find it...

tenor.gif

There ya go

The uk has conducted 90k tests with just over 8k being positive. Bearing in mind the vast majority of those will be for the hospitalized it doesn’t suggest that anywhere near 50% of the population has it or had it. Maybe in two years it might be the case but not anytime soon.
I agree that it's unlikely the current infection rate is anywhere near 50% of the population. But if the majority of those 90k tests have been done on hospitalized people, it gives us no indication at all on the rate of asymptomatic infections. If you've shown no symptoms at all (or even mild symptoms), you haven't been tested.

I'm getting pretty anxious about all this. I work in a supermarket which exposes myself to a lot of different people and have a horrible feeling this thing might finish me off.

My medical history has all been respiratory related. Pleurisy, pneumonia, two collapsed lungs which required surgery which led to complications and a prolonged chest drain and now I'm diagnosed with bullous emphysema.

I've raised concern with the night manager but he stated unless I receive one of those letters from my GP I'm fine to work. I'm already on a reduced hours contract because of occupational health.
I'm thinking of self isolating for the good my anxiety more than anything.

Stay at home. Fuck work, you can get another job if worst case scenario happens and they sack you. You can't get another life though if the worst case scenario happens if you caught the virus.

From what we understand , this virus has been passed from animals to humans, due to our negligent and idiotic behaviour. Humans storing animals in completely disgraceful conditions and we've now got a virus, which was previously contained to this animal.

I'd say it is the natural world giving us a much deserved 'fuck you'.
1) It’s nothing to do with the (granted appalling) conditions the animals are kept in and everything to do with the exotic nature and the fact we haven’t coexisted with those species in close proximity. That’s why I would have them outlawed. As someone mentioned, the trade and tendency to consume those species is a relatively new thing since the 1970’s when China was running out of “natural” food stuffs.

2) You can say it’s nature giving us a “fuck you” if you like, but it’s not rational. There’s no such things as karma (sadly). But it does mean that such pandemics will happen time and time again if mankind keeps encroaching on and consuming animals with pathogens that we haven’t evolved to deal with.

Looking at the situation in South Korea, they have about the same number of cases as us, and one third of the deaths. But whereas their situation is relatively under control, our infection rates are rising exponentially.

South Korea

UK

How on EARTH have we allowed this to happen? 1 month ago, we had 1 case in the UK whilst their infections were shooting up. A week later they had their under control, with their regime of testing, testing, testing, tracing and isolating. And we did fuck all other than saying "wash your hands". And now look at the fucking mess we are in. It makes me REALLY angry.

I'm getting pretty anxious about all this. I work in a supermarket which exposes myself to a lot of different people and have a horrible feeling this thing might finish me off.

My medical history has all been respiratory related. Pleurisy, pneumonia, two collapsed lungs which required surgery which led to complications and a prolonged chest drain and now I'm diagnosed with bullous emphysema.

I've raised concern with the night manager but he stated unless I receive one of those letters from my GP I'm fine to work. I'm already on a reduced hours contract because of occupational health.
I'm thinking of self isolating for the good my anxiety more than anything.

See your GP. See if he can issue the letter you need. If not tell him to sign you off with stress as the situation is causing you massive anxiety issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.