Book suggestions

Those 9 Deighton novels are an absolute joy - great shout that.

I took up a recommendation from The Times a couple of weeks ago and downloaded the first Dave Robicheaux novel on the kindle. Enjoyed it, nothing too arduous, took me away to New Orleans for a few days - and there’s another 20+ books in the series - gonna cost me upwards of £100 to read em all though!

I Have done the first 9 Robicheaux books and my maud has done the lot, very evocative writing. If you like New Orleans have you tried A Quiet Vendetta by R.J Ellory? highly recommend it

John Niven understands our generation better than almost anybody. Kill Your Friends and sequel Kill ‘Em All are excellent satirical thrillers.

In need of some inspiration for new reading material. Any recommendations?
The Executioner's Song, Norman Mailer
Anything and everything by Clive James
The Unfortunates by BS Johnson
Tainted Life Marc Almond
In Cold Blood Truman Capote
Midnight in the garden of good and evil John Berendt
In Plain Sight Dan Davies
10 Rillington Place Ludovic Kennedy
Wicked Beyond Belief Michael Bilton
I'm Jack Mark Blacklock
You Could do something amazing with your life (you are raoul moat) Andrew Hankinson
Raging Bull Jake La Motta
Dark Trade Donald Mcrae
Mcillveney on boxing
Mcillveney on football
Undisputed truth Mike Tyson
Any Joe Simpson book
Tilting at Windmills Andy Millar
French Revolutions and Gironimo both by Tim Moore
Pyjama Game Mark Law
The Climb Anatoli Boukreev
Into Thin Air Jon Krakauer

Oh, and anything and everything by Clive James (start with the first 3 of his biographies)

'Shogun' and 'Tai Pan' are classics from 'Clavell' if you've never gotten around to them
' lonesome Dove' and all the off shoots by Mcmurtry are excellent
'The Girl with the dragon tattoo' trilogy
'Triggerfish Twist' and that whole series by Tim Dorsey are good for humour
'Dune'
Probably not the best time to get into Stephen King right now, especially 'The Stand'

Not particularly uplifting stuff in these (or any) times but A Life Too Short, about the German keeper Robert Enke who threw himself under a train 10 years ago.

Really thought provoking stuff despite the morbid topic.

He also gave me 'The Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich'. Also an incredible book, but it's very thick with small writing so puts a lot of people off. Hard to read at the start, but once you get into it near impossible to put down. Took me about 6 weeks to read.

Yes, William Shirer. I first read that book, if you can believe this, when I was eleven or twelve. I had never seen a book that big, and I didn't even know that books could be that big (the only thing I'd ever seen of that length was the Bible) . I had to steel myself to it initially — as you say, the print is very dense, too — but once I got past the first couple of hundred pages, I couldn't leave it. I re-read it in my late twenties, I believe, and found it just as interesting. Another bloody great big wrist-breaking tome that I owned at the time (when I was twelve or so) was Russia at War, by Alexander Werth. Both books were published by Pan, as I remember it. That one went missing, and I never got round to reading it, which I regret. I see from Amazon that it's been reissued. Must get round to that, now I'm retired.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.