Book suggestions

In fiction in English, the three huge discoveries for me of these last thirty years have been Edward St. Aubyn, the Patrick Melrose books (already discussed); Haruki Murukami, especially Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore; and Philip Pullman, His Dark Materials. Fantasy fiction isn't normally my thing at all — it bores me, frankly — and I was surprised by how much I liked the last named. Whatever you might think, it's not really for children. Or not only for them.

That's the history of science one, isn't it? Not easy going!
It is, but tbf it's the most easy going one I've ever read. Makes it very accessible IMO, but I don't really do fiction, which is why I like Bill Bryson. Great writer; funny, intelligent and well-researched.

Notes from a Small Island (about Britain) is brilliant.

In fiction in English, the three huge discoveries for me of these last thirty years have been Edward St. Aubyn, the Patrick Melrose books (already discussed); Haruki Murukami, especially Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore; and Philip Pullman, His Dark Materials. Fantasy fiction isn't normally my thing at all — it bores me, frankly — and I was surprised by how much I liked the last named. Whatever you might think, it's not really for children. Or not only for them.
Got to agree about His Dark Materials... Not my kind of thing, but I lost myself in it for a few weeks.

Harry Potter; it is not.

It is, but tbf it's the most easy going one I've ever read. Makes it very accessible IMO, but I don't really do fiction, which is why I like Bill Bryson. Great writer; funny, intelligent and well-researched.

Notes from a Small Island (about Britain) is brilliant.

Fair enough. I've not read his travel books, which are highly rated.
I agree, it tracks from step to step pretty well, but I've no idea how it works for a non-scientist. I took it on holiday, and it proved a perfect cure to jetlag!

Similar in style are Tom Holland' Rubicon (on Caesar), and Persian Fire. I think there's later ones - Millennium? - but I've not read them.

Other novels I really liked were Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars books.

I Have done the first 9 Robicheaux books and my maud has done the lot, very evocative writing. If you like New Orleans have you tried A Quiet Vendetta by R.J Ellory? highly recommend it

Cheers for that, will look into Ellory, especially as it looks like Dave R. could be occupying me for some time!

You lot are crazy reading all your books at a time like this.
Wait for the internet to stop working before you exhaust all your offline entertainment avenues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.