City's oldest living player?

I was schooled in the art of CB play with Dave Ewing and Bill Leivers. Vinnie, Otters, Tal Ben Haim, Ayjeric, Stonesy have all had my Ewing?Leivers slide rule run past them to see if they were of appropriate quality.
Werent they on the famous pic helping Bert off the pitch.
I think you have chalk and cheese in your list.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. On your list is one Daniel Flanagan, named as an ex-City player. However, he never made a first-team appearance for us.
Very interesting, JGL07. Brand is 83, Plenderleith & Kennedy 82, Dobing & Crossan 81. Alan Oakes is a mere stripling at 77.

Big Bill leivers, at 88, is the only survivor of \City's \Cup-winning side of 1956. I still can't find older than Williamson & Phoenix though.
Oakes apparently still looks 40 and beats younger players at squash and is a bit mean about it.

Not our Oakie of course

Indeed they were! Stout men and true. I slipped in a duffer to remind us of the 'good old days' when we had nowt and every Tom, Dick and Franco Baresi were snubbing moves to us!
My dad said one of them kicked the ball out of the old Wembley to protect Bert. Or did he kick the opposition over the stand?

Good to know that someone has heard of Ron Phoenix! I was beginning to think \I was the only one.

I did expect, though, that this would be a minority appeal thread. But I can't help going back into the past.

I remember seeing Ron Phoenix play for City around 1959/1960 although he was by no means a regular. Apparently he's been living in a care home in Trafford since May last year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.