Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

If its relaxed to soon and the health crisis worsens, then the economy is fucked anyway. The economy needs confidence, do you think there'll be confidence to spend if there are thousands dying a day? I don't

Also, if there are restrictions lifted and things open up, only to shut down again in a week, that will destroy many small businesses who have one shot at this.

Totally agree with everything you’ve said. The big problem will more than likely be the 2nd and 3rd waves of this are inevitable unless we lockdown for about 12 months and obviously that won’t and can’t happen.

I was on a call last night with the guy that owns my local gym. It is a small, independent group PT gym. He stated that the current situation with fitness centres/gyms is that they (through UK Active) are lobbying the government for a June 1st reopening. He said that for any hope of this being even remotely feasible, they are pushing the idea that a gym will contain no more than 1 person per 100 square feet at any one time and strict social distancing will be maintained, including the closing of communal showers, cafe areas etc. He says this will be a lot easier for him than it will be for large commercial gyms that have large customer bases and contain big weight machines and small fitness class rooms etc etc.

Gyms impact a huge percentage of the population and are having to change everything, just to give themselves even the remotest chance of opening again 5 weeks from now. The gym companies are losing huge amounts of money, a lot of the staff are likely losing 20% of their wage on the Furlough scheme and the general population of gym members (millons) are getting fat at home. Yet football, a contact sport, thinks it deserves special privileges and should be able to start again yesterday, so they can get the season finished (in a manner completely different from what has gone before) just so the pockets of greedy fat cats aren't negatively impacted, all while thousands around the world are ill and dying.

Its pretty disgusting really, even by the football authorities extremely low standards.
Presumably gyms could just make members book appointment times to ensure only a few people attended at the same time and the same could apply to swimming pools. I think the more people are allowed to do non-contact sports the less joggers we will have on crowded pavements. Obesity is one of the biggest risk factors for Covid 19 so anything to improve fitness must be positive. Pubs and football will be the last to re-open (sadly for me)

Totally agree with everything you’ve said. The big problem will more than likely be the 2nd and 3rd waves of this are inevitable unless we lockdown for about 12 months and obviously that won’t and can’t happen.

it won't happen.

What will happen is that governments will look to cheap out on this and open up too soon, without proper test/trace/isolate procedures in place, which is how South Korea for example mitigated even a first wave. a 24 hr turnaround on test to trace all contact and isolate everyone is a minimum requirement to open up any restrictions, without it, you are playing lottery with people's lives.

The messaging I'm seeing from our Government and from the UK, seems to be putting responsibility on the population, while they do the bare minimum of locking it down. I'm not seeing any sustainable plan forward from either, I think they are waiting to see what happens elsewhere before making decisions.
I'm screaming at the Irish government to scale up testing and tracing, which they've promised to do since February, but which hasn't happened. It's akin to screaming at Mahrez to pass the ball, it isn't going to happen and will only give me ulcers.

Millions of people are furloughed (my wife being one of them), businesses are shuttered and many of them won't survive much longer if they can't reopen very soon. So unless we are prepared to see an economic collapse on a scale never seen before then the lockdown needs to be relaxed sooner rather than later in my view.

Thats unfortunate but a reality, businesses are going to go out of business and new ones / ideas will take place. I said it last week and I will say again, this is a global problem - the economy will be rebuilt, it might just look very different.

Yes, we must be careful. Boris's call for patience is well judged; Starmer's call for exit plans now less so.

The only way to lift people's spirits is if the government call off the league, null and void, finished. The upliftment of them Scouse ****s not getting the title will be immense, imagine the outpouring of elation and celebrating.

Then we can all sit back and watch in delight as the press, social media bullshitters, sky sports news and these two bob radio stations that peddle this Scouse propaganda crap can all mourn along with that shitstain of a club down the east lancs, then they can light all the candles in the world and sign all the petitions they please.

Come on the powers that be, get this league null and void and just watch the celebrations, with social distancing of course, erupt from every town and city.

Could not agree with you more, the lockdown definitely needs easing to allow shops to open and people to return to work. They will have to restrict numbers in shops and probably have work rotation, but it needs to happen for the sake of the economy.

However gatherings of 50k are not going to be allowed for the foreseeable future. I for one will not support football being played behind closed doors on the pretence of improving the Country’s morale. I pay for my season ticket so I can attend the matches in person, any other way and I am not interested.

P.S. The Bus Wr*ck**s are a bunch of T*a*s.

Agree with most of what you post but the economy is already f*cked , if every business opened tomorrow the damaged caused over the last few weeks would take a decade to recover , unemployment will be at record levels (unless you fancy picking fruit for a few months:) and how many over sixties with underlying health issues are going to take the risk of catching this virus.

Totally agree with the issue of playing behind closed doors , its totally unfair , we play at Klanfield with 50k putting pressure on Oliver to hand them the game and the return game is played in a sterile , silent atmosphere , that would be a travesty. Its nothing to do with the countries morale , its all about getting the Dippers a title so the Premier league can get the ulitmate exposure/profit from their product.

The only way to lift people's spirits is if the government call off the league, null and void, finished. The upliftment of them Scouse ****s not getting the title will be immense, imagine the outpouring of elation and celebrating.

Then we can all sit back and watch in delight as the press, social media bullshitters, sky sports news and these two bob radio stations that peddle this Scouse propaganda crap can all mourn along with that shitstain of a club down the east lancs, then they can light all the candles in the world and sign all the petitions they please.

Come on the powers that be, get this league null and void and just watch the celebrations, with social distancing of course, erupt from every town and city.

The Arse and Brighton are resuming training but with strict social distancing in place - oh yeah! How do you maintain social distancing in a training ground changing room - keep the squad queuing up on the pitch until one or two are showered. It's the kind of bollocks you come to expect from the people running the game and running'ruining clubs. Boris's call for patience is falling on the usual sporting deaf ears.

The police won't allow it, as they don't have the resources to break up all the street party's and celebrations across the country

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.