Films that were acclaimed that are actually rubbish

FUCK OFF! Now, you’ve got my Chicago dander up! ;-)

Seriously, though....just the first half of FBDO?!

And, did you completely forget about Sixteen Candles???

Brilliant coming of age movie and LITERALLY nails Chicago/Midwestern teen life when it’s not playing for the laugh.

This all feels like me trying to explain to Yanks why Kes is a brilliant movie!

Ok. You e done it now. Here I go, Cap’n. :)

Didn’t I say ALL of them?

Risky Business is a better film about Chicago teenagers than anything Hughes did. With Talking Heads and Tangerine Dream and Muddy Waters in the soundtrack.

Now (see above post) in this case I have been told by my wife that I am incorrect and 16 Candles is far better than Risky Business, which is apparently “a sexist piece of shit.” But I shall persist.

Ever wonder why we don’t see Molly Ringwald, that skinny blond twerp with three names or Handsome Boy around any more in films? Cuz they suck.

Ferris Bueller is a dick. His girlfriend is an appendage. He treats his best friend like shit and is a douche to his idiot parents. The Jennifer Gray/Charlie Sheen thing is the best part of the film. The movie goes directly down the tubes when he steals the car. Aarrrgghhhh.

You tell me that Matthew Broderick sending his friend’s dad’s Ferrari into a forest is funnier or more Chicagoan than Tom Cruise putting his Dad’s Porsche into Lake Michigan. No way. The “U-boat commander” wins hands down.

Much prefer Matthew Broderick as a high schooler in War Games, where he’s a huge nerd blowing up the world and simultaneously trying to smoke a non-Goth Ally Sheedy.

Last edited:
I remember going to see Macbeth.
Half the cinema emptied after 15 minutes when they decided they couldn't understand any of it :)
I was the same when I watched Das Boot online. Why people rave about this film is beyond me. I didn't understand a word.

Avatar was a good looking film but it was only fern gully in disguise, after all the hype it got it wasn't up to much.

Taxi Driver gets a mention too, De Niro is brilliant but this film didn't do it for me.
So much so that aren't they scheduled to make it a trilogy (or have I just made that up?).......

Bird man
The Irish man
The imitation game
The King's speech
American hustle
The big short
The dark knight - "Omg Heath Ledger, is there a more sinister villain.....Oh Tom Hardy as Bane, the most menacing, intimidating villain of all time"
I really liked The Big Short (I'm surprised it's the only high profile film I can remember being about a world changing event)?

You are spot on with the Batman pish though - sadly if Heath Ledger hadn't have pointed his toes up I'm not sure people would have given it a second look.........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.