Missing mooners

It's got much worse in these sad times, used to be a place of joy and fun. Funny thing is I am currently watching Channel 4 about the VE party in colour its actually quite brilliant. Weird how in that time many many thousands were dead or badly injured and yet the country came together regardless of politics. Fast forward to today you have folk who want this great nation of ours to fail and by that mean counting how many people who die and then post gloating how we as a nation have failed because of it, lots of vile folk about these days when we should pulling together not apart.

post of the thread

It's got much worse in these sad times, used to be a place of joy and fun. Funny thing is I am currently watching Channel 4 about the VE party in colour its actually quite brilliant. Weird how in that time many many thousands were dead or badly injured and yet the country came together regardless of politics. Fast forward to today you have folk who want this great nation of ours to fail and by that mean counting how many people who die and then post gloating how we as a nation have failed because of it, lots of vile folk about these days when we should pulling together not apart.

Yeah and I remeber street parties and everyone in the area knowing looking after each other when I was a child.

All changed though in the 80s and suddenly we started getting more selfish as a society and less cimmunity spirited

Cannot say why and what changed us so much as a nation.

Bluemoon meet ups.

I remember someone tapping me on the shoulder and asking me if I knew who they were whilst two others stood behind them frothing at the mouth.

Comical.

I was ahead of the game and socially distancing myself from these meet ups for years ;-)

Nobody is gloating about the nation failing or the number of deaths, it isn’t unpatriotic to question our response. Hopefully we’ll all be around for the long term to continue to argue along partisan lines

Reactions: Ric

It's a complete myth/lie that the country was coming together and ignoring politics in 1945.

VE day was 1 month before the parliament got dissolved and a general election was held where the conservatives lost. People were still angry about the conservatives' appeasement 6 years earlier and blamed it for causing the war, Labour savaged them for not rearming the country after WW1 and people didn't think the conservatives would look after people in the post-war economy and feared a return to the depression of the 1930's and poor treatment of soldiers post WW1. Labour rushed to adopt the social reforms of the Beveridge report, while the conservatives dawdled and complained about the cost of implementing National Insurance or longer state education.

So the reason you find it weird is probably because you either don't know about, or choose to ignore the massive political division of the time.

In 25 years time people will point to the last 2 months and people clapping for the NHS, queing patiently outside supermarkets 2m apart, drawing rainbows in their window, donating £30m to Captain Tom and talk about how the country pulled together despite politics.

Last edited:
Yeah and I remeber street parties and everyone in the area knowing looking after each other when I was a child.

All changed though in the 80s and suddenly we started getting more selfish as a society and less cimmunity spirited

Cannot say why and what changed us so much as a nation.
I think the rise of the "greed is good" generation with the "fuck you" attitude and the red braces didn't help.

I think the rise of the "greed is good" generation with the "fuck you" attitude and the red braces didn't help.

Yeah I know why we changed and what lot changed us for the worst as a society, but didn't want to side track here into a political debate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.