COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As with most things - follow the money. Quarantining people on entry to the UK will mean that we stay here and spend our money in this country instead of pumping billions into the accounts of foreign hotels etc. I've not looked into it but I'm guessing our outgoing tourism is far greater than any incoming revenue.
Maybe I'm being too cynical, but everything seems to come down to money ... restarting the Premier League being just one example :-(

How are they social distancing? Are they queuing round the corner? Tbh I think everything is falling apart and the weather doesn’t help, I actually thought it may change people but I guess that was wishful thinking, people out there are mainly still selfish twats.

yeh big ques. Social distancing suppose.
traffic was ridiculous though.

As with most things - follow the money. Quarantining people on entry to the UK will mean that we stay here and spend our money in this country instead of pumping billions into the accounts of foreign hotels etc. I've not looked into it but I'm guessing our outgoing tourism is far greater than any incoming revenue.
Maybe I'm being too cynical, but everything seems to come down to money ... restarting the Premier League being just one example :-(

Sadly , everything always has come down to money since the days when Adam was a lad.

Hopefully some of these US corporate giants like Amazon etc making massive fortunes out of the misery of others may actually pay more UK tax. Wanna bet ?

CTID

They are working,where is this only one patient in at a time come from? Controlling how many are crowding a small waiting room and not having lots of people queing up to check in is about social distancing and infection control,if there are spare drs and nurses they are helping out in other areas of the nhs that needed staff,honestly have you been asleep for three months,if you can't swoon at the nhs efforts now you never will do

I respect the incredible efforts of many of the staff Karen. But unlike some my admiration does not extent to blanket and unreserved admiration without question.

It still baffles me how a practice with 25 paid medical professionals treating only a mere fraction of the normal numbers of patients cannot find a solitary person to help a 98 year old on the floor for hours in pain.

Given the number being treated could be handled by one or two of the 25, it does genuinely raise questions about what the other 23 are doing. "Helping out in other areas of the NHS" is not on the face of it a persuasive argument when loading across the NHS as a whole at the moment is right down.

I respect the incredible efforts of many of the staff Karen. But unlike some my admiration does not extent to blanket and unreserved admiration without question.

It still baffles me how a practice with 25 paid medical professionals treating only a mere fraction of the normal numbers of patients cannot find a solitary person to help a 98 year old on the floor for hours in pain.

Given the number being treated could be handled by one or two of the 25, it does genuinely raise questions about what the other 23 are doing. "Helping out in other areas of the NHS" is not on the face of it a persuasive argument when loading across the NHS as a whole at the moment is right down.
Can't get into my doctors surgery right now. Although you can access an online portal thingy if you pick up the form from the surgery you can't go in. However I did get a call back from the surgery after a couple of days. So business as usual at my doctors :)

I did have to call and ambulance the other night though and that arrived much quicker than I was expecting (a guy had fallen in the street and seemed confused). The lady I spoke to on 999 was fantastic and the paramedics were very patient with what I imagine is a frustrating call out

So is "clapping for carers" finishing next Thursday?
Going out on a high is better than it whimpering out. We just need to make sure people are aware and make one final effort.
Obviously those who want to continue can still do it.

I'm a bit mixed about the clapping.

I'm happy to clap for the front-line workers doing a great job. Less so for others who frankly I don't know what they are doing. A&E is empty, many of the non-ICU wards are half full. Operating theatres are hardly loaded. Our local GP surgery normally has about 10 to 15 doctors on duty and currently is allowing in 1 patient in at a time. So I guess that means 1 doctor working. I've no idea what the others are doing but you would have thought given the light load in every department apart from COVID-19, resources would be available?

And yet earlier this week my nextdoor neighbours' 98 year old mother fell and was lying helplessly on the floor, in pain. She called her daughter for help. Her daughter - our neighbour - is 78 herself and has a serious heart condition so is in no condition to be picking her mum up, let alone checking her over medically. So she called our surgery hoping to get a GP to come out and check her mum was OK.. as well as pick her up off the floor. Could her daughter get anyone out to help? No, they refused and claimed they were very busy. "Can't you do it?" "Isn't there a neighbour who can help?" Every excuse under the sun, but no help. She ended up having to call for an emergency doctor because no-one from the local surgery would help, and all the time a 98 year old is lying on the ground. I am not clapping for these people.

Agree, however it’s become more of a community thing. You get to wave to all your neighbours etc.

my wife rang the church bell this week as it’s the first time she’s been allowed back into her church and it was also Ascension Day.

it’s all over social media here and the community loved it.

it’s pointless, but it is helping people. So let’s just do it until it isn’t helping anyone.

Agree, however it’s become more of a community thing. You get to wave to all your neighbours etc.

my wife rang the church bell this week as it’s the first time she’s been allowed back into her church and it was also Ascension Day.

it’s all over social media here and the community loved it.

it’s pointless, but it is helping people. So let’s just do it until it isn’t helping anyone.

I agree it's a positive thing particularly for people living alone. Communities are far too insular and this is one way even for five minutes or so they feel connected. It isn't doing any harm and if people don't want to do it they can stay indoors. It reminds me of the Poznan a few years ago. It looked great, was a laugh and got the atmosphere going. Then some miserable sods decided it wasn't cool anymore and it died out.

So is "clapping for carers" finishing next Thursday?
Going out on a high is better than it whimpering out. We just need to make sure people are aware and make one final effort.
Obviously those who want to continue can still do it.

a really great concept , and first time in a long time I felt proud of the UK.
However it has run its course now - last one next week is the right call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.