COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2nd wave is going to be as bad if not worse than the first.

If we’d held out just a 3-4 weeks longer with a stronger lockdown then we’d have most likely avoided it, at least to the degree it will hit now.

Unfortunately people thought ‘protecting the economy’ was more important. What they didn’t realise that holding out just that bit longer would protect the economy much more than rushing back into things would.

Younger people out drinking, people of all ages going round to houses. Social distancing isn’t an exact science. If you’re round someone’s house getting pissed and one of you has the virus it’s likely it would be passed on if you’re with each other all day, using the same bathroom etc, even if you’re so far apart.

The figures in a few months are going to be horrendous compared to the countries which did lockdown right, and they already look outrageously bad right now.

This government has so much to answer for.
The second wave is not now. R is still below one.
Come October there probably will be a second wave.

There is no guarantee there is even going to be a second wave so god knows how you work that one out. I swear some people on here see it as a competition to see who can be as pessimistic and miserable as possible, keep your doom mongering to your self.
No guarantee of a second wave, but highly probable.
There certainly isn't one at the moment as most of England is down to an R of around 0.4 (see the hotspot maps published a few days ago)

Deaths are a reflection of infections 3-4 weeks ago.

During the initial disease spread rate we had 1 in 40 chance of catching it.
With social distancing in place ( and even with many of the countries youths ignoring it) it is currently less than 1 in 1000.

Last edited:
The 2nd wave is going to be as bad if not worse than the first.

If we’d held out just a 3-4 weeks longer with a stronger lockdown then we’d have most likely avoided it, at least to the degree it will hit now.

Unfortunately people thought ‘protecting the economy’ was more important. What they didn’t realise that holding out just that bit longer would protect the economy much more than rushing back into things would.

Younger people out drinking, people of all ages going round to houses. Social distancing isn’t an exact science. If you’re round someone’s house getting pissed and one of you has the virus it’s likely it would be passed on if you’re with each other all day, using the same bathroom etc, even if you’re so far apart.

The figures in a few months are going to be horrendous compared to the countries which did lockdown right, and they already look outrageously bad right now.

This government has so much to answer for.

Given prior to the lockdown we did absolutely nothing to stop the spread, the 2nd wave cannot be as bad. We know far more and we are testing far more so we will detect spikes faster.

Last time we hadn't even thought to call 999 but this time the fire engines are parked outside ready for the fire.

The only way to catch this virus and spread it is to catch it from someone else but the current estimate is that only 0.24% of the entire population are currently infected. The risk now generally is very low and if we can maintain R below 1 by social distancing than that number will reduce even more.

For the most part, if even 50% of the population follows the rules then that's a 50% reduction in infections which at the worst of the first wave brings R down from 3 to 1.5.

The most interesting statistic is that for every coronavirus test performed only 21% actually had symptoms........ I think the real number who have been infected already is MASSIVE and well into the tens of millions. This for me is why immunity testing is far more important than finding a vaccine.

If the above is correct and many do have immunity (ie herd immunity) then there's a very low chance of a second wave anyway.

Take a look at The Sun online front page, but it sums up why lockdown is fucked and as I said earlier that the youths are screwing it up for the adults - check how many of the stories are what could be classed as “shake your head” examples...

Given prior to the lockdown we did absolutely nothing to stop the spread, the 2nd wave cannot be as bad. We know far more and we are testing far more so we will detect spikes faster.

Last time we hadn't even thought to call 999 but this time the fire engines are parked outside ready for the fire.

The only way to catch this virus and spread it is to catch it from someone else but the current estimate is that only 0.24% of the entire population are currently infected. The risk now generally is very low and if we can maintain R below 1 by social distancing than that number will reduce even more.

For the most part, if even 50% of the population follows the rules then that's a 50% reduction in infections which at the worst of the first wave brings R down from 3 to 1.5.

The most interesting statistic is that for every coronavirus test performed only 21% actually had symptoms........ I think the real number who have been infected already is MASSIVE and well into the tens of millions. This for me is why immunity testing is far more important than finding a vaccine.

If the above is correct and many do have immunity (ie herd immunity) then there's a very low chance of a second wave anyway.

Good post to be fair. My mate raised a good point too. Even if things do feel slack, people's behaviour has largely changed. He said even the dickheads who are breaking the rules are still probably washing their hands more than normal and probably obeying the queue rules outside shops etc, which will make a small difference at least. No nightclubs for them, no sports events or gigs etc. It will be a lot different to last time. I do fear a second wave but I dont think it'll be as drastic as the first one.

Edit - i don't quite share the same optimism re the level of spread, but I do agree behaviours have changed by a decent amount.

Last edited:
That's why they didn't release the stats on groups most vulnerable.
Now it's out and the people in charge doing what they want, who can blame the youth and youngsters.
If I was in my 20s,I wouldn't give toss either.
We have had our go, as much as I want to do it all again.

The message from those at the top is
Party on the lock down is finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.