Kalidou Koulibaly

It's also very disingenuous to suggest I said that about THB, purposefully leaving out the bits about Garcia, Tosin and Fernandinho in the same setence isn't it.

If you look in the Garcia thread from yesterday you'll also see a highlighted a mistake Garcia made in the second half, it's called balance and understanding because it's very rare he makes a mistake. It's one of his biggest strengths as a player.

The point still stands, doesn't it?

Garcia, Harwood-Bellis and Tosin aren't ready to be first choice on a team that expects itself to have a reasonable chance of winning every competition it plays in. All three would get torn to pieces at various stages. Fernandinho is also not the answer, as steady as he has been this season.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but we have been severely lacking in the centre of defence all season. Say what you want about Laporte being injured but Kompany was the most vital part and he's been gone for a year.

Garcia, Harwood-Bellis, Tosin and Fernandinho are not ready to fill his boots and most of them never will be.

I'm not sure how you think sticking with them would be a better option when there's been zero evidence of that so far.

I notice they only do it with our sports teams though, not their own. Most NBA teams have a pluralised name, and even those that don't are referred to with plural adjectives. They say "The Miami Heat are..." not "The Miami Heat is..."

Plenty of stuff is plural or singular depending on how the speaker sees it, but a sure sign that someone either doesn't watch football or isn't a native speaker of English is when they use the singular verbs, because usage conventions definitely favour the plural and that's what literally everyone uses when talking about sports teams.
I guess we’d need an American who understands their linguistic nuances to explain it, but I don’t think it’s only our sports teams, they do it with bands / companies.

Nirvana is back with a new album. DC United is 0 from 3 on the road. Apple is opening stores Thursday.

I had an American tutor at an English uni who tried to correct my grammar saying I should use “is” when talking about a company and I thought he was on drugs.

The point still stands, doesn't it?

Garcia, Harwood-Bellis and Tosin aren't ready to be first choice on a team that expects itself to have a reasonable chance of winning every competition it starts in. All three would get torn to pieces at various stages. Fernandinho is also not the answer, as steady as he has been this season.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but we have been severely lacking in the centre of defence all season. Say what you want about Laporte being injured but Kompany was the most vital part and he's been gone for a year.

Garcia, Harwood-Bellis, Tosin and Fernandinho are not ready to fill his boots and most of them never will be.

I'm not sure how you think sticking with them would be a better option when there's been zero evidence of that so far.
You don't think they're ready, it doesn't mean they're not ready. Before the lockdown you had a large proportion of fans saying Foden still wasn't ready, saying we needed a Silva replacement and as soon as he suffers the slightest dip in form, they'll resurface.

Any dips in form of Garcia, Tosin and THB suffer are very easily mitigated with Fernandinho who like you say has been very steady. We would also have Laporte back which isn't to be underestimated.

I could say the same; there's less evidence buying a 29 year old for £60-90m is a guarantee of success, in fact I'd say there's fuck all. Before you mention VVD, the circumstances were completely different, Liverpool we're desperate for the league title and have a humongous rebuilding job to do in 2 years maximum due to their transfer policy. It was a huge gamble justified because their aspirations were different than ours having not won the league in 30 years.

Actually according to whoscored Otamendi was the no 1 rated defender above Van Dijk. Mustafi had the same score as Van Dijk too. Would any team drop £75M on Mustafi or Otamendi maybe? Truth is everybody thought it was crazy money buying Van Dijk for £75M. Not the least his performance that season.
Hope this helps.
I might have has it backwards 3rd on Whoscored and 1st on Squakwa. The point being he was phenomenal that year.

75 million was excessive. As no one had paid that much before. But it was clear to me and many others that he was the best defender available anywhere in the world.

This is now obvious to everyone. But at the time about 70% of the folks here wanted and preferred Bonnucci.

It's quite clear what side of that argument had it wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.