#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of his finest wing performances on our left was against Chelsea last season. Now whether he was spurred in that game by the off-field antics in the corresponding away fixture, or Azpilicueta simply had an off day, I don’t know. What I do know, however, is that he hasn’t tormented a right back as ruthlessly this season. He can go either side of the defender at pace, so presumably he’s under instruction not to attack those lines and instead recycle possession. Baffling.

Played 2507 minutes in the league, had 1 assist only.

I know he scored a lot of goals, but 1 assist for a winger is not normal !

Needs to go back to the right and ghost in at the far post like he did at his peak.

Mahrez may have had a decent season but him playing and Raz in the left makes us much less effective. We never needed Riyad, not a knock on him but Raz needs to play where he's most effective, not where he wants to.

Played 2507 minutes in the league, had 1 assist only.

I know he scored a lot of goals, but 1 assist for a winger is not normal !

I’m not defending that or many of his performances this season but basically he no longer plays as a winger for us. He hardly ever takes on a fullback anymore and you only see his pace when he’s running on to a through ball. Miss the days of him terrorising fullbacks when full of confidence on the right.

I think he ought to have won a penalty.
Never a pen, there’s no way that tiny little touch on his right leg made him fall over as if he was tripped on his left leg. He literally tried to win that one

He’s got better at some things but he’s still got a hell of a lot to work on for a 25 year old.

He still can’t control the ball with his left foot when running at the opposition’s goal from a through pass from behind him.

He hardly ever takes people on down the byline with his left foot, he just doesn’t have the skill.
And if he does find some space to knock the ball past someone and run onto it down the left, his left foot crossing is very poor.

He hardly ever takes on shots with his left foot when running into the box and the left foot shot is on.

He’s seemingly worked on his right foot striking of the ball but he’s still very weak on his left.

His decision making is still inconsistent. For example, when he was running into the box with DSilva right next to him in the first half yesterday and he just didn’t have the nouse to time that simple pass to Silva for a clear shot on goal.

If he can improve on these things he’ll be a great player. But will he? He’s only 5 months away from being what is a player’s prime (26-29), usually by now a player has got everything in his locker that he takes into his prime years with an optimal mix of physical prime and experience.

Yes "we" had three very decent chances and missed them all yet again when it mattered didn't we Raheem !
what do you mean "yet again"?

Sterling always misses chances when they matter, doesn't he. Every single time. Except for all of the times he hasn't.

Our top scorer this season. 3 20+ goal seasons in a row. I remember the days when you started a very long and hilarious thread, sadly since removed, about how he would never be good enough for us.

Is he still the elephant in the room?

what do you mean "yet again"?

Sterling always misses chances when they matter, doesn't he. Every single time. Except for all of the times he hasn't.

Our top scorer this season. 3 20+ goal seasons in a row. I remember the days when you started a very long and hilarious thread, sadly since removed, about how he would never be good enough for us.

Is he still the elephant in the room?

He probably means that in the big moments and the big games so often Sterling misses absolute sitters or picks the wrong option. Just because his goal record is good doesn’t mean he’s had a good season. His overall form in games has been average at best. Great for getting his stats up against the likes of Brighton though. A very long way from being a world class footballer.

@Gary James Do you know where Sterling is now in our all time top scorers list? I know he's 36 off Fred Tilson and Billy Gillespie in joint 9th but can't find any lists that go beyond the top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.