#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played 2507 minutes in the league, had 1 assist only.

I know he scored a lot of goals, but 1 assist for a winger is not normal !

There was an example earlier in the season of some of the sitters missed from his passes.

Much like De Bruyne, if not for piss poor finishing, most of our forwards would have 4 or 5 more assists across the board at least.

He’s got better at some things but he’s still got a hell of a lot to work on for a 25 year old.

He still can’t control the ball with his left foot when running at the opposition’s goal from a through pass from behind him.

He hardly ever takes people on down the byline with his left foot, he just doesn’t have the skill.
And if he does find some space to knock the ball past someone and run onto it down the left, his left foot crossing is very poor.

He hardly ever takes on shots with his left foot when running into the box and the left foot shot is on.

He’s seemingly worked on his right foot striking of the ball but he’s still very weak on his left.

His decision making is still inconsistent. For example, when he was running into the box with DSilva right next to him in the first half yesterday and he just didn’t have the nouse to time that simple pass to Silva for a clear shot on goal.

If he can improve on these things he’ll be a great player. But will he? He’s only 5 months away from being what is a player’s prime (26-29), usually by now a player has got everything in his locker that he takes into his prime years with an optimal mix of physical prime and experience.

While all the points you made about his weakness in regards to his left foot are true and slightly limits him somewhat in his game, I would have to disagree that improving on those things is what will make him a great player. In fact imo he already is one and he more than makes up for those weaknesses with his approach play especially when on the left.

Robben who will probably go down as one of the greats to play the game was one of the most one-footed players you will ever see. In fact you can just replace left foot to right foot in the criticisms in regards to sterling and that could describe robben. I doubt he scored more than 10 goals with his right foot in his career and that's a career with almost 200 goals yet very few would argue that made him any less of a player. So no a players effectiveness with their weaker foot isn't what will make them a great player.

Now If you believe sterling improving those is what will help make him a great player, then i doubt he will ever be one to you regardless of how well he does. I mean if what he did in the final stretch to the league last season when mainly playing as lw wasn't enough to convince that he's broken past that threshold into being a great player and those weaknesses are very minor compared to the many aspects he has to his game then I'm not sure anything will.

Of course it would be great if he improved them to add more to his repertoire and at 25 there are definitely still areas he can improve on in his game but we are talking about an already top quality player performing at the highest level and an important part of 2 league winning sides here not some up and comer who hasn't achieved anything or even a lesser talent player who's been carried by his better teammates. The fact that no one has played more minutes than him this season and only walker and ederson have the previous 2 should prove that.

Lastly, this is not particularly aimed at you but I feel like with sterling many tend to magnify his few weaknesses and overlook his many strengths leading to some absurd opinions on him as a player throughout his whole career.

While all the points you made about his weakness in regards to his left foot are true and slightly limits him somewhat in his game, I would have to disagree that improving on those things is what will make him a great player. In fact imo he already is one and he more than makes up for those weaknesses with his approach play especially when on the left.

Robben who will probably go down as one of the greats to play the game was one of the most one-footed players you will ever see. In fact you can just replace left foot to right foot in the criticisms in regards to sterling and that could describe robben. I doubt he scored more than 10 goals with his right foot in his career and that's a career with almost 200 goals yet very few would argue that made him any less of a player. So no a players effectiveness with their weaker foot isn't what will make them a great player.

Now If you believe sterling improving those is what will help make him a great player, then i doubt he will ever be one to you regardless of how well he does. I mean if what he did in the final stretch to the league last season when mainly playing as lw wasn't enough to convince that he's broken past that threshold into being a great player and those weaknesses are very minor compared to the many aspects he has to his game then I'm not sure anything will.

Of course it would be great if he improved them to add more to his repertoire and at 25 there are definitely still areas he can improve on in his game but we are talking about an already top quality player performing at the highest level and an important part of 2 league winning sides here not some up and comer who hasn't achieved anything or even a lesser talent player who's been carried by his better teammates. The fact that no one has played more minutes than him this season and only walker and ederson have the previous 2 should prove that.

Lastly, this is not particularly aimed at you but I feel like with sterling many tend to magnify his few weaknesses and overlook his many strengths leading to some absurd opinions on him as a player throughout his whole career.

Just wanted to add re Robben too that the highest goalscoring seasons Robben ever had registered 19, 19, 21 and 23 goals. Sterling's last three have had 23, 25, 27 (currently). Now i'm not trying to downplay Robben being great, but I do think we under-appreciate just how good Sterling is, even with his flaws. Everyone has their own flaws of course, but its not easy to find you a wide player that guarantees 20+ goals every season. Sterling is that, and improving. Who knows, might end up a 30 goal a season player.

Everyone in the stadium knew Robben was going onto his strong foot and he was so fast and powerful that they couldn’t stop it. Raheem has scored a bunch but let’s calm down on Robben comparisons. He badly needs to improve his weak foot if he’s going to play on the left for us. He should be on the right otherwise.

Lockdown did Sterling the world of good!

I was sat at games scratching my head with what I was seeing with him this season. It was like an imposter had come and replaced him - looked like him, ran like him, but played nothing like him.

He’s been good since we came back to this not-really-football. Let’s hope he can now kick on again, because I think he needs to take another step up like he did in 2017-18.

Being as good as he was between 2017-2019 is one thing but I think there’s more in there to come from the lad. I think he can be great if he really works at it.

There are still a few things he needs to work on:
Taking people on up the byline on the left wing.
His left foot crossing.
Taking shots with his left foot when running into the box and the left foot shot is on.
Controlling the ball on the run.
One-on-ones with the ’keeper.

Take a look at our first two goals against Newcastle to show what strong left foot play on the left wing can bring. If he can add that to his game we’ll score 5 every single game!

These improvements will see him become a great player... and I think he’s got it in him!
yup, and I'll just add he should get rid of it quicker when it obviously isn't on as we've given up advantageous positions because of this.

He is much better on the left, reluctant to take on his man when in the left. Improvement after everyone swapped positions there.

Has sterling lost a yard of pace? Doesn’t seem to be able to beat a man like he used to

Think if he stays on the right a bit longer you’ll see him fly past people again. Just think the time he tried to I’m first half he made it a bit obvious and didn’t knock it far enough.

Has sterling lost a yard of pace? Doesn’t seem to be able to beat a man like he used to

He’s as fast as ever but he’s nowhere near as good as dribbler as he was at Liverpool, not that I’m complaining. Goals>dribbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.