Ex best mates - what happened?

Hart of the Matter

Sometimes, like wives, best mates just don't work out. Sometimes it's something they did or sometimes it's something you did.
I knew a bloke for 15 years. Moved into a flat next door. Was 13 years younger but we hit it off. Went out on the town together etc.
I was even best man at his wedding. And the turned into a complete tosser. Mental health issues were obvious but he started to turn on his wfe, had an affair them took his mistress to his house to strip out everything (including his wifes' wedding dress) . Scrapes with the police over his abuse towards NHS staff and others quickly followed. Concerned about his health I offered a helping hand. No response. He has hidden and stripped all bank accounts. His wife has found 19 different accounts so far. His business is obviously hiding others. Looks like he has been planning this for years.
18 months later, he rang last night in a flood of tears but continued to spout shit and lies. Feel bad about this but listened and just heard victim shite (including at the hands of his new woman) So I hung up.
Any other best mate turns bad stories?

I had a mate when 19yrs old and I went working away down south, nearly 10 years we were inseperable worked and boozed together and went traveling together in the close season, then one year he moved jobs and we still met every week and used to go out him and his misus me and mine until for some reason he would be busy for a pint and we saw less of each other and hadn't spoken to him for a few weeks

Then one day I went to the opening of a new business my wife was gonna work in, went over and said Hi to him he first turned round and looked likehe was gonna hit me, but just walked off and ignored me, after that I just never bothered, I was told when he left to go back to London he wanted me to go to his leaving do as was dissapointed I didn't, at the time my opinion was you fucked me off so you can piss off.

Never found out why he fell out with me bit was tild a few years later his wife had an issue with mine and he was encouraged to break contact, don't know if true and would like to think it wasn't such a trivial thing.

If I bumped i to him now though (highly.unlikeley as he is still in london I think) I would have a drink with him and put my stubborness to make up earlier down to being in my 20s and as so a bit of a clueless ****, I have matured much more since then

Last edited:
Can't really call him a best mate but I was close with a lad during my late teens/early 20s. He wasn't the most popular as he was a really abrasive and provocative guy. On a one to one basis I found him ok and he was always welcome in our house. He'd usually come around whenever he had fallen out with the girlfriend of the day but I didn't mind. My parents thought of him as an unofficial son. He would be at ours 3 or 4 nights a week.

I came across some difficult times and when I reached out to him for a chat, I was ignored. This hurt a bit and I kept trying but to no avail. Things eventually took an upturn and I got back to normal. Around four years later he popped up to moan about his latest Mrs and I pretty much laughed and asked where he had been for all the years. He didn't like it but it seemed like the appropriate response in that moment.

Last I heard he had sacked in his job, stopped talking to everyone and roleplays a police officer in GTA 5 Online.

Still hang around with some of the same mates I have had since secondary school but the group used to be about ten or so of us.

Only half that now, can't remember what happened but it split us. A woman was involved and my best mate and another of the group were after her, it had been going on for s few weeks but then all of a sudden we were two separate groups, anyone who was better friends with my mate didn't get invited out anymore or spoken to. Now that I think about it, the split is pretty much city fans and non football fans in our group now, and United and Liverpool fans in the other. Probably coincidence.

It annoyed me for a while as the other lot were a good laugh and mates who'd have your back in a pinch. We'd been away together countless times so thought it would blow over, but it never did to this day. Been almost twenty years now.

Still see a few of them just out and about very occasionally, said hello to a couple but it's not the same. Funny as I either can't remember or didn't even know in the first place what split us all. Only one of them has been off, was walking up and down in the hospital with my wife in labour and he walked past, I stopped and said oh wow, hi, as you do, he saw me, kept his head down and marched on. Not even a question on why I was standing next to a heavily pregnant woman arm in arm breathing like it's turtle head time.

About six months later I saw his missus copping off in town, but I couldn't tell him as I didn't have his number and don't do social media. I didn't make much effort to find it though, I admit. His missus was devastated that is seen it, pleading to not get in touch or anything until we left the nightclub.

I'd still be definitely up for a pint with any of them though. I've never been one for melodrama, much prefer a beer.

Last edited:
It would seem that when your mates missus and your missus become friends as well things go downhill rapidly.

I've known my best mate for 30 years. We still have the odd ale, the odd text/ phone call and the odd holiday together. He lives 10 miles down the road and we see each other an average twice a month. That'll do for the pair of us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.