Gardening/planting advice

I'm assuming you have a fence/wall ?

You can buy ready made trees that have been grown specially, which have a long trunk to fence height with no vegetation, and then the trees are trained into a shield, so they have very narrow depth (take up no room), and spread about 5 or 6 feet either side of the trunk.

Damned if I can remember the name of them (not the tree - you can do it with many varieties), they do similar with fruit trees to put against a wall or fence, so you can have fruit but take up no space, but this one is designed to go in to shield neighbours, allows planting beneath, and doesn't restrict light too much.

They're expensive to buy, but very effective, and obviously long lasting so its a one off purchase.

Don't get leylandi they might grow quick upwards, but they also grow in every other direction, and take up a lot of effort keeping them cut, they also drain your garden of water, and drop loads of dead bits beneath.

What I'm describing is similar to what @TheRemainsOfTheDave has linked.

True about the Leylandi. We have a hedge of the stuff at the bottom of the garden and needed next doors scaffolding ( he's a roofer...) an extendable 2 stroke hedge trimmer, a big fuck off chipper to mulch the stuff up, it's still looks like a dogs dinner and it's easily 6 ft thick.......

Trellis up Riculas with a few sprigs of mile a minute planted to earth. Proper name is Russian Ivy and on a good day you can actually see the leaves weave their magical spell. On a cautionary note you have to keep it in check as they are fairly high maintenance so invest in a good pair of shears from the Argos. Privacy restored in a jiffy and job done with no more unsightly neighbours!

Virginia creeper also does a good job, dont think it flowers but the leaves turn a lovely purple hue in the autumn. For about 2 days.

Trellis up Riculas with a few sprigs of mile a minute planted to earth. Proper name is Russian Ivy and on a good day you can actually see the leaves weave their magical spell. On a cautionary note you have to keep it in check as they are fairly high maintenance so invest in a good pair of shears from the Argos. Privacy restored in a jiffy and job done with no more unsightly neighbours!
I have Russian ivy,it is very pretty in bloom ,it does get everywhere though,it has spread forrty foot up into one of my fir trees

@Ric

This is a good example of what I was getting at.
maturepleachedcb-1.jpg

34609_1510670405579_PF.jpg

I have Russian ivy,it is very pretty in bloom ,it does get everywhere though,it has spread forrty foot up into one of my for trees

It's rampant Kaz absolutely rampant but provides excellent cover. Obviously when I say high maintenance I don't mean of the beanstalk variety but it does grow rapidly and can be kept in check over trellis for extra cover and relatively cheap to buy in.

Scots Pine

Good native evergreen tree but they've got long roots so not great for small gardens although I doubt that will be an issue with the money you've raked in from here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.