COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you not concerned about the long covid reports? A very high percentage of healthy young asymptomatics reporting ongoing ME, chronic fatigue, brain fog, heart and lung scarring, loss of taste and smell, detoriating eyesight etc.... just because they likely wouldn't die it doesnt mean it wouldn't be incredibly damaging to their lives.

I kinda got past the fear personally. Started to feel like I'd likely be fine if I caught it, but I've lost an awful lot of that confidence. Too many reports on this now with studies showing this too. I'm 34 and healthy, but fuck catching this horrible thing. I don't wanna be stuck in bed for years.

Serious question, do you know anyone that has had it? If so are they damaged in the way you describe above? I know a fair few that have been confirmed as having it and none have any issues. People keep saying it's a high percentage, it doesn't seem that way. There is a FB group for people who have ongoing symptoms with 15k people in it last I heard. Out of however many millions who have caught it you would think there would be more in it.

Sweden 5766 dead
Denmark, Norway combined 873 dead

Sweden have not had a great pandemic.

Serious question, do you know anyone that has had it? If so are they damaged in the way you describe above? I know a fair few that have been confirmed as having it and none have any issues. People keep saying it's a high percentage, it doesn't seem that way. There is a FB group for people who have ongoing symptoms with 15k people in it last I heard. Out of however many millions who have caught it you would think there would be more in it.
309,000 confirmed in the UK so far,everyone else is vulnerable ,it has barely got started,not everyone is on Facebook

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

I concur,my ME is in relapse because of it but the lung problems are separate and very specific to my covid experience,five months and counting ,doing ok on the steroids but we will see in a few weeks when they finish

very good article in the FT from a few days ago on this issue which I read after our exchange yesterday and a lot of analysis in relation to what we discussed yesterday ( no paywall) https://www.ft.com/content/8a8c9630-7cce-417a-8732-f0589009be14

extract below was interesting as well and more what I was trying to refer to:-

John Geddes, professor of epidemiology at the University of Oxford, believes that protracted illness is likely to be caused by the virus getting into the nerve cells of the brain. Others suggest that an elevated immune response to the virus may be damaging the cells in key parts of the body.

There was no ( or very little )evidence at that time. we had to act on worst case ideals.

we now have evidence and we should be using it accordingly.
We went 2nd worst case unfortunately.

Worst was doing absolutely nothing at all and everyone carrying on.

very good article in the FT from a few days ago on this issue which I read after our exchange yesterday and a lot of analysis in relation to what we discussed yesterday ( no paywall) https://www.ft.com/content/8a8c9630-7cce-417a-8732-f0589009be14

extract below was interesting as well and more what I was trying to refer to:-

John Geddes, professor of epidemiology at the University of Oxford, believes that protracted illness is likely to be caused by the virus getting into the nerve cells of the brain. Others suggest that an elevated immune response to the virus may be damaging the cells in key parts of the body.
Thanks, I will have a read,the Americans have written a lot of interesting things on it as well

Tbh, I think the idea that anywhere could have avoided a massive economic crash was fanciful. If we had tried to ignore it the hospitals quite clearly would have been worse hit and the death count would have been even more severe and there is no way public confidence and fear wouldn't have kicked in. Reports from across the world etc would have raised the issue massively, like they did.

I think we messed the lockdown up big time, but I think we'd be in an even worse position if we hadn't. Considerably more deaths, more panic and there's no way we'd not have had even more draconian measures kick in due to collapsing hospitals. We would have got there eventually, but more painfully. Cant really see any reason why we wouldn't.... and please don't say Sweden. Apples and oranges. Over half of Swedes live alone. Half! I literally don't know a single person who does. Not even one! Their lifestyles, obedience and approach is vastly different to ours... and they were still hit awfully. Plus their economy has crashed too.
The economic debate goes like this... It wouldn’t have been as bad, still bad, but not as bad. We could when saved many jobs and lives by enforcing distancing, keeping the vulnerable covered and allowing the healthy to gradually allow it to flow through, not putting the strain on the Health Service and blocking the spread longer term.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it doesn’t take away that we can say what we should have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.