Jose Gimenez

Yes true but we sorted out his deep muscle tissue injury problem and reduced the amount of times we played him i.e. once every 6/7 days in his last year. I think we have the expertise to deal with this player's problem if there is one. He is also quite tall which is an asset.

Thats why we got Vinny so cheap.

I think people are assuming we will offer the buy out if we move for Gimenez but I’m not sure that would be the case. We might be planning to offer AM circa £60m - which they might be interested in, in the current climate. I don’t know the intricacies of AMs financials but must be similar to Spurs - borrowed heavily to build a new stadium - probably highly leveraged - and will never have envisaged such a heavy loss of income. I’m sure lots of clubs are struggling with cash flow and debt management- with no certainty of an end to this pandemic. In the latter part of this transfer window there may be a few ‘fire sales’ as clubs look to shore up their financial positions. If I was the FD of a club just now I’d be saying - don’t plan for having fans back in the stadium this season - and that’s gonna have a huge impact on financials... Football clubs tend to exist in a bit of a vacuum and are slow to change and slow to align to reality, but reality is quickly catching up with clubs as they realise they have huge cost bases and virtually no mechanism to turn the costs off, even when their income plummets.
I certainly wouldn’t assume we’d pay the buyout when when we’re baulking at €70m ish for KK. More likely we’ll test out Atletico’s bottom line before committing to either. Only guesswork on my part though.

Spending 90 on a player approaching his 30s quickly wouldn’t be my first choice. I’d be happy we got him but if I was given a choice between the two I’d pick Gimenez easily
I see your logic but I’d want a discount for an injury prone player.

(I’ve only just got over the Roque Santa Cruz signing although, to be fair, that was beyond stupid even at the time.)

Gimenez isn't injury prone but is another player who has thrived in playing in a set system. Gimenez being younger than Koulibaly may adapt better to Pep's system (although that isn't a real guarantee either)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.