Kalidou Koulibaly

Concerned about Gimenez's reported injury record, I checked Koulibaly's.

KK also missed about 1/3 of last season with injuries and suspension:

Although he was ok the 2 prior seasons. Maybe he's reaching that age when you pick up more injuries?

IMO I would prefer Upamecano or Soyuncu.

I agree with you on Upamecano but we will have to wait until next season and there are no guarantees

Agreed, despite his age I think he ticks all the boxes and would improve us significantly. KK possesses pace and has a physical presence in which is a big plus for City.

Exactly, said it before he has it all, also great on the ball, played Possession football under Sarri, speaks English, speaks French. Family oriented, personality fits in with what Pep likes, even chips in with the odd goal, loads of Champions league experience.

Better than Van Dijk imo, he’s been one of the best CBs in Europe for years now despite playing at Napoli where the players aren’t anything close to those of Liverpool. If anything he’s been underrated.

Upemecano -we have a young player who can play and stay for a decade! Or until Bayern come in for him.

The pattern of us buying good young promising players to train in our world class facilities only for them to be tapped up needs to be knocked on the head.
Firstly, if we sign him on a 6 yr deal, then he will be coming into his prime when that contract is up and we have 6 yrs to amortize the layout.
Secondly, if he’s half the player he could be, then (as with ALL top players) you give him a new contract AT LEAST TWO YEARS before the contract expires. If he doesn’t make clear he is staying, or tries to bend us over, you sell him with plenty of time to get full value...even from Bayern(?!).
Thirdly, if we are who we think we are, in a few years, WE will be the club winning the trophies these players want to play for!

We had this with Maguire and Sanchez before. A media frenzy based on a rebuffed enquiry.

If we appear ambivalent we are ambivalent. The season is upon us. City are a well run club. If we wanted Koulibaly, we'd have done a deal.

I come back to it continually because City's defending has been an open sore and it would be a gamble to rely on Ake, Laporte and Garci to see us through the entire season.

KK is getting old for a defender who is an athlete but I think we're going to regret it if we don't push this deal through.
My problems are two-fold:

• Serie A is not the Prem.
• 29 is long in the tooth for us to smash our own transfer record and be bent over by ADL, given Pep requires his CBs to accept a significant amount of high risk in their game and asks a lot of them with the ball. If he has a bad first year bedding in, we then have a 40 yr old CB who didn’t do it and you’ve got 3-4 more years of £10M+ in wages and rapidly diminishing transfer value.

Just seen a Napoli fan posted they're assuming a loss of 150-200mil Euros for 19/20 and 20/21. Not sure if that includes the Oshimen transfer. Koulibaly could save them 80mil and 36mil in wages. He's 29 and they're not in the Champions League. How are we failing to negotiate so badly?

I think you've provided the rebuttal to your own question.

When facing a €200m black hole, someone offers you a chance to remove €101m (65m fee and 36m wages).
Are you really going to walk away with 0 because you wanted €120m?

We're in a situation where City think they've made a very good offer that suits everyone, and Napoli, staring down the barrell of a gun are holding out for more money, while the player is agitating for a move.

Eventually ADL will accept the offer of €65m because his other option is to try and sell him next year, €12m in wages later and with him the wrong side of 30.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.