Wolves (A) Post-Match Thread

I agree with much of that. The City pressure on the ball starved the Wolves of the ball and they couldn't get out. That was the old City.

Yes, Wolves did come into it in the 2nd half and they had a 15 minute spell with Traore a threat. Traore is very very difficult to stop so I wouldn't blame Mendy for the fact that Traore was their main threat.

That’s true re Mendy, he was on a yellow as well and looked tired, Sterling didn’t help much either but no excuses for Stones, he just doesn’t have the defensive awareness that’s required.

Pep and his team will play 'find our LB' game this morning probably. I think he had a very good game, particularly when he was doubling up on Traore together with Raz. I don't remember how he found himself in position covering Rodri, but it looks funny.
wolves_goal.jpg

When City were fit we completely overwhelmed what is a very good side. I wanted to see City return to the intensity levels Pep's sides became known for, and that is what happened.
That's what excited me in the first half. The intensity was back against a team that exposed us last season. I expected us to run out of legs in the second half coming off what a 9 day pre season, having Gundogan, Mahrez and Laporte all at different stages contract covid, then all the injuries we have on top of that. I was quite happy to get three points and move on.

Wolves are a good little side they were always going to fire a shot at some point in the second half, so to get that fixture out of the way early and take a 3-1 win was great to see.

If the transfers we need can get done relatively quickly I'm very excited for the season ahead.

Oh and I thought Foden was class all night, he's a special talent that lad.

Not many teams will get a result there this season, thought Rodri & Ferna were excellent in protecting the back 4. Overall a well deserved 3 points.

The way we managed the game last 5 mins or so keeping it in the corners as well as away from wolves really warmed my heart.

This is exactly what we did so well the last 2 times we won the league and shows the team are hungry to win.

great start glad city are back
I said before the game that hunger, grit and determination were the key features to look out for. I am happy to report that they were present in abundance.
There were a few negatives and we got the rub of the green at times e.g. Marcal going off after five minutes and wolves missing a few chances in the second half but in general the performance points in the direction of a more robust challenge for the title this time round.

So you think he had a poor game ?
Nobody was poor last night, well LB maybe, I would go as far as being 1 of our best 45 minutes this year, forget games after lockdown last night meant everything with those cnuts 6 points clear

Going back to Gabby, he frustrates the shit out of me, work rate is awsome you always get that level of effort from him but he's paid to score goals not just last night but many games he just isn't that CF who will bag you 20 much needed goals although he would cause havoc closing down defenders but he misses far to many imo
I see him as a false 9 rather than an out & out striker something City will be forced into next Summer

All I'm saying if Aguero misses a huge chunk then we are very limited up top, we are very lucky we have wingers & midfielders who score between 10-20 each goals a season

Like i said Gabby I like but not No 1 goal scorer which eventually we will need
Young Delap is very talented by all accounts

This will always be the rubric for our game - has been since Vinny and Joleoninho were twin Rocks of Gibraltar, and even when Eddie picks up the clean sheet award the RDAHMEedya, tv pundits and countless oppo fans always point out that we are weak defensively. I think it is the price you pay for a high line and probably the best attacking football in the league. If we put away a fraction of the chances that go begging, and are just a little more clinical, defensive frailties would not be an issue. I used to think that when we got KK we would win the home games 4-1 and lose the away games 4-3. I think it is Guardiola's basic philosophy where the emphasis is full blooded attack. It's more than annoying and deeply frustrating when we have twothirds possession, squander a hatful of chances and fall to a sucker punch such as the game last season against Southampton. Had any of the contenders won 3-1 at Wolves no one would be pointing a finger at defence.

Good points but we could easily have been 4-2 down as Wolves turned into us in front of goal, missing some great chances. For once the luck was with us. The goal we did concede was bloody annoying, Mendy and Stones should both have done better. Still, delighted with the win at a tough place and one of our bogey teams.

No one can completely stop Traore. He did OK. I particularly liked Sterling getting stuck in on Traore to help him out.

City seemed to be very tired. It was fortunate in a way that we played a side who also had a delayed return to training.
Just a shame the ref didn’t book Traore for the assault on Raz near the corner flag

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.