Wolves (A) Post-Match Thread

A brilliant performance. A lot of doom and gloom on here beforehand because of a lack of preseason and fewer signings than we had expected/hoped for.

Energy levels were key. The front three and De Bruyne pressed relentlessly and Ferny and Rodri mopped up anything else. Walker and Mendy pushed up high as well and it enabled our centre backs the protection they need not to be caught out. The whole side looked so much better because of the efforts across the park in defending. Back to the City a couple of seasons ago. Brilliant.

Wolves were always going to come back at us when 2-0 down. The fitness levels were telling, and we did really well to keep them at bay and then get the winner. I don't think it was for any reason other than fitness that they were able to put so many chances together in the second half. An excellent run out and performance that puts us in a good place ahead of Leicester. More signings to come hopefully and the likes of Laporte, Gundogan, Aguero, Bernardo still to come back.

Torres didn't play for long but showed that he will be able to play that pressing game without a problem and looked very comfortably technically.

Gabby got targeted a bit in the first half from their defenders so it was good to see him take on that physical challenge and leave his foot in on their defenders a couple of times.

When City were fit we completely overwhelmed what is a very good side. I wanted to see City return to the intensity levels Pep's sides became known for, and that is what happened.

You missed out Johnny Hancocks (who was at school with my Dad), Jimmy Mullen, Eddie Clamp, Eddie Stuart, Major Frank Buckley, Barry Stobart (remember him?), Bert Williams, John Richards, etc.
Barry Stobart. He came to us, didn't he, and Bert Williams - always thought he was trying to nick Bert Trautmann's mantle as the finest goalie the world has seen called Bert.

Great performance all things considered, we tired in the second half but Wolves are on there 3rd game already. Good to see a depleted side can still do the business and look so slick.

Reactions: CC1
When City were fit we completely overwhelmed what is a very good side. I wanted to see City return to the intensity levels Pep's sides became known for, and that is what happened.
I think we tired slightly second half, but that was to be expected. Just watched ESPN, you would have thought we were shit and got hammered. The diff in reporting on City compared to Liverpool is ridiculous.

There is that of course lol. The goal we conceded and the chances they created in the second half makes me think the defence is the priority.
This will always be the rubric for our game - has been since Vinny and Joleoninho were twin Rocks of Gibraltar, and even when Eddie picks up the clean sheet award the RDAHMEedya, tv pundits and countless oppo fans always point out that we are weak defensively. I think it is the price you pay for a high line and probably the best attacking football in the league. If we put away a fraction of the chances that go begging, and are just a little more clinical, defensive frailties would not be an issue. I used to think that when we got KK we would win the home games 4-1 and lose the away games 4-3. I think it is Guardiola's basic philosophy where the emphasis is full blooded attack. It's more than annoying and deeply frustrating when we have twothirds possession, squander a hatful of chances and fall to a sucker punch such as the game last season against Southampton. Had any of the contenders won 3-1 at Wolves no one would be pointing a finger at defence.

Why does pep have to answer bullshit questions after a game
'Cos the tv companies are full of bullshitters. They have a prepared script that often belies what the rest of us have just seen on the pitch. I am full of admiration for Guardiola for keeping a cool head and smiling, whilst on the inside he must be thinking "And the next idiotic, pointless, meaningless question is . . . . . . . .?"

Amazing first half, was really happy with the work we put in
Dipped a bit 2nd but wolves were always going to have their threats
Really liked the look of Ake

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.