Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I'm surprised no-one ever started a business venture out of football hooliganism in the form of organised sport.
You see all these Eastern European hooligans meeting in forests to batter each other.

If you could create a format (i.e. 15 v 15, rules, proper safety gear, referees etc) and get it on PPV. Would be so funny to watch. Like real-life Wrestlemania.
It would never get off the ground mate. The hard core hooligan types would never go for it, they don't believe in equal numbers on each side. Theyd run a mile if it wasn't a 3:1 ratio in their favour.

I went to 1000s games in the 80s, never hit anyone, not even once. Never got hit myself. Not even once. I just met my mates, had too much to drink usually, and went the match then off into town, or home.

Yes it was what it was back in the day but going to a game is much better without it. A lot of us talking about it now might sound like we are glorifying it but we are just reminiscing of a time long gone except for a few youngsters trying to resurrect it. There is however a sense of pride in not allowing others to take liberties with our fan base and if at home in our city. That's just how it was.

I started going in 1968 as a kid and there was violence back then. I have no idea when it started but I always remember it. It must have been the late seventies/ early eighties when so called firms started up with names and calling cards and the fashion trend came with it. Before that teenagers just wore the fashion of the day but old clobber was advised away as you were more likely to be in a punch up. I remember having a crombie and tonic trousers, though it was jeans for the game. Also monkey boots which were cheaper than Doc Martin's. I remember polishing mine for hours before a game, we used to buy them from Jack's in Moss Side although I lived in Wythenshawe.

The continent took a while to catch up, indeed for a long time it was called the English disease. Before that it was mainly fan's fighting the police as the poor locals had little chance against a huge England mob made up of experienced hard core hooligan firms, padded out with beer monsters too. As it died out in England and banning orders etcetera came to the fore it had picked up abroad. This was/is unfortunate for what are now mostly decent non violent England fans as they are still seen as a big scalp by the foreign firms when in reality they are far from what they were back then.

Lads who get involved now are silly as with all the surveillance around their chances of getting away with it are slim. The problem is young males are aggressive in all the animal kingdom so I guess a bit of violence where they meet in groups will always occur.

I think the decades of the 70’s and 80’s were pretty grim too. High unemployment, Thatcher, power cuts in the 70’s. Little hope for the young. Like music it was an outlet. Nowadays most lads are more bothered by how their hair looks and how they are perceived on Instagram

Killed to death??
Yeah, killed to death.

One stand out game for me for carnage was Oldham away on Good Friday in the early/mid eighties.
Some pick pocket got proper battered on the corner terrace we were on.

The ladder going up in the stand opposite from the terrace up to the seats, those seats which were torn up and hurled at the dibble, think a female copper got ko'd from one. The huge ruck that went off in the Oldham end when they socred first (game ended 2-2, Kenny Clements was playing for them).

Oldham fans and the town in general getting smashed to bits, bedlam that day was.

I think the decades of the 70’s and 80’s were pretty grim too. High unemployment, Thatcher, power cuts in the 70’s. Little hope for the young. Like music it was an outlet. Nowadays most lads are more bothered by how their hair looks and how they are perceived on Instagram

Those are good points, it was mainly a written off generation and the underlying resentment and anger boiled over on the terraces and in towns. It was the one time a lot of the youth felt any respect or pride, plus a sideways chance to hit back at the establishment.

Was that the McIntyre documentary one? I was at that game in the side streets back of the kippax after the game when they were cowering. I watched the documentary, some gobby little shite on it, supported West Ham I think. No idea why they all joined up with Millwall.
Nah he's some racist melt Reading fan, the year City went down into league 2, City lost at Elm Park and he got put straight on his arse.

any1 remember derby county away last game of the season, got the train from Donny and when it got to Sheffield there was hundreds of city going to the game any way we got to derby and it was kicking off down a street and police didn't know what to do, stay with us off the Sheffield train or go down the street, that was until most city fans ran down the street to join up with other city fans, at the end of the game hundreds of derby fans came on to the pitch and came over to the city fans at the side of the ground and all hell broke out the walk back to the station was interesting as well

Nah he's some racist melt Reading fan, the year City went down into league 2, City lost at Elm Park and he got put straight on his arse.

Ha ha I would love to have seen that, I bet it happened to him more than once.

When you watch McIntyre back now it's mad no one sussed out he was undercover. He even conned the Chelsea headhunters.

I just found this online, talk about old enough to know better, it's from a while back but ageing hooligans still battling, nuts. For anyone too young to be there scenes like this happened up and down the country most weekends.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.