New European Super League Breakaway Threat

You don’t really believe FIFA are any less corrupt do you?
Probably but they haven't tried to screw us over as far as I'm aware as of yet. You could literally suggest that every single aspect of the game is corrupt and if that is your view then i'd suggest quitting whilst your ahead.

I only see one problem thus far and that is UEFA if this gives them what they deserve then I'm all for it

Not sure you’ve read the full news piece.

UEFA most likely not involved.

30 games or more per season which would make it impossible to then fit in the league, league cup and FA Cup.

No relegation possible for the founding members for at least 20 years.

Guaranteed larger amounts of money per season for the founding members as well as for them joining.

League positions domestically would mean little at the top end because top teams already guaranteed a European league place.

Those saying it’s just a revamp aren’t really thinking of the consequences this will have domestically.
I did read it and the thing I really didn't like was the "no relegation" thing. I know that the big clubs, and this will include City, will be desperate for this of course because of the catastrophic hit to finances if a club falls out, but it's not fair.

Being honest, I could live without the league cup no problem. I think it's had its day for bigger clubs.

I think united and Liverpool are exploiting the COVID-19 situation to drive through change. I really do hope that we in no way we are part of it.
I wont be going football again if this goes ahead

Possibly but that's why I think it critical that you get into it on merit through the domestic league.

If you have United or Liverpool guaranteed a spot in the Euro League every season, then yes, they will probably play weaker XIs in the Prem. If they had to qualify for the Euro League every season, like they do now with the CL, they couldn't afford to take the Prem lightly for fear of not qualifying.

Plus, lets see how much these teams enjoy finishing mid-table in a Euro League every season and throwing away the Prem at the same time. These clubs are historically used to winning trophies, as are we in our recent history. Fans are not going to tolerate throwing the domestic competition, so the clubs can line their pockets every season, whilst potentially never winning the Euro League because the competition is so strong. Can you imagine United or Liverpool becoming the Euro League equivalent of West Ham (No disrespect to WH)?
have a feeling premier league teams will be at top anyway as have bigger tv income on top

of course 2022 because messi is gone and premier league will swallow all other league.

Feck of Barcelona and Real Madrid and United and Liverpool

Doesn't this just replace the CL?
It depends how you qualify. They're desperate for it to be invitation only rather than earned to protect their income. They want a system where it's just the same teams always competing. And that's the main issue that everyone has with it. I have absolutely no problem with having another tournament to replace the Champions League. Imagine Leicester winning the league in 2016 and then not be able to compete in the Champions' League because they're not one of the history clubs.

People are comparing this to the introduction of VAR, but it's completely different. If competitors haven't qualified for the tournament by right, then it's no longer a competitive sport.

have a feeling premier league teams will be at top anyway as have bigger tv income on top
Depends how it is introduced. If it is a closed shop, the Prem will lose a lot of its appeal and therefore wont be able to demand the kind of TV money it currently can. Once it does that, the money on offer in the Euro League will dwarf what is on offer domestically.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.