Cost of building/extensions?

Having a full length dorma being done right now ensuite walk in wardrobe new roof 6ft French doors with 2ft glass side panels glass juliet balcony full bells and whistles, ceilings on first floor been lowered, basically living in a building site just now, gonna cost 42k but will be well worth it.

Yeah I'd think so, if the house layout allowed it. As far as I can tell, most of them would have space for it in the eaves on the front side if I didn't mind a lack of height there (which I wouldn't for essentially a WC) and I'd only need to stick a velux in on the front I think. A few I've looked at have large built in wardrobes in that space that look like they'd make up most of the room needed, only needing maybe another foot or two out of the attic room. (which would be a third bedroom that is a long way from being needed just yet)

I don't think I'd need to drop the ceilings for the dormer, as it's been a pretty common conversion all the way up the road without much issue. Even those new giant full length dormers seem to be going in no problem.

Ideally I'll buy a house with at least either the extension or the dormer already done, but it's good to know the value of them and which to prioritise. (I think the dormer, the extension seems more straightforward and more customisable to my needs)

I renovated a mid-terrace in Worsley, put a dormer on. Managed to fit a nice size double bedroom up there at the back in the dormer side, then on the other side put in an en-suite with sink, toilet and bath and also managed to get a small office up there as well! The stairs entered the loft space through the middle of the house rather than alongside the party wall. Where the stairs enter the loft ultimately determines layout up thete.

Re dropping the ceilings, the others may have had it done and you just don’t know? Internally you are going to want a ceiling height of minimum 2.2m or could feel pokey.

Other things to consider with a dormer is what roof to go for. GRP roof will last longer but can be noisy with birds landing on it and in heavy rain. A rubber roof is quieter but won’t last as long.

Have a look at magazines and the websites such as Build It, Self Build & Design and Homebuilding & Renovating as not only do they have tables of cost etc but also loads of useful building tips. Also whatever quote you get be prepared to add on 5-10% as the builder will always find something extra such as we needed to get the footings deeper and use extra concrete. Have a look at getting a contract as well https://www.jctltd.co.uk/product/building-contract-for-a-home-owner-occupier

That sounds decent tbf, obviously I wouldn't be able to get that price but I hadn't even considered sticking the extra bathroom there. Decent option
I've done the whole downstairs to be disabled/wheelchair friendly so from front door, through house and garden to back gate is all one level and no internal doors. Others would call it 'open plan', but with the small bathroom downstairs it's perfect for older/disabled.
I see this as a USP in any future sale and will raise the value quite a bit

I am making the leap to buying the home I hopefully will live in for the foreseeable future and start expanding my family, so was wondering if any blues are familiar with the vague costs of adjustments I'd want to potentially make, in order to get a bit of an estimate as to how much I should value work already done on houses I look at. Mainly it's 3 things I'd ideally like, but don't know how much they'd cost to get done.

First would be a small single story extension out the back. Nothing fancy, just for a kitchen/utility room extension ideally so I could use the backroom as a second living space instead of a kitchen/diner. A lot of the houses in the area I'm looking have them and I was wondering how much that would cost, so if I went for a house without it I could budget the expense.

Second would be a small dormer window in the top floor to make the attic into an extra bedroom. Again, probably half the houses in the area have it so I doubt it's too expensive, but again, would like to know how much it's worth. Those massive dormer's are getting popular around here as well where they extend the entire top floor almost, but they look significantly more expensive as you are redoing the entire roof on that side.

Third would be a second bathroom, directly above the main bathroom. Just a small one for an extra toilet and sink, nothing much.

Obviously I know the price is hugely variable, but just a vague guide as to how much each would set me back would be incredibly helpful. I'd do most of the decorating/interior work myself but obviously the structural/electrical/water stuff I'd have to get someone in for.
Sorted...

Good luck with finding anyone to do it, lots of trades are upping prices and picking and choosing who they can rip off the most. im Looking at converting my garage into a room, yes I need new electrics but I’m looking at the best part of £6k for a square 4m by 3m room. Seems a lot too me.

Good luck with finding anyone to do it, lots of trades are upping prices and picking and choosing who they can rip off the most. im Looking at converting my garage into a room, yes I need new electrics but I’m looking at the best part of £6k for a square 4m by 3m room. Seems a lot too me.

Could do a lot of the labour yourself on that, all depends if you already have the tools though.

Regarding dormers man they are fucking ugly anyone seen the state of the one on Kingsway where you turn off for Gatley.

I converted my garage into a dog grooming studio, with new fuse box, hot water heater, lights, underfloor heating etc and did the electric myself, not too hard tbh, the hard bit is getting an electrician to sign off on it. Luckily I know someone, otherwise it can be incredibly hard to get them to agree, even if you offer them silly money for barely any work. The floor, walls and ceiling were tougher, mainly as I had some real issues figuring out what to do with the garage door.

I can't see any reason for it to cost £6k to do that, as you say, it really wasn't that much work. Most of the work was figuring out the plumbing, as it was separate from the house. The rest was relatively straight forwards, but as you say, they are busy right now and know how to gouge when the going is good.

I am making the leap to buying the home I hopefully will live in for the foreseeable future and start expanding my family, so was wondering if any blues are familiar with the vague costs of adjustments I'd want to potentially make, in order to get a bit of an estimate as to how much I should value work already done on houses I look at. Mainly it's 3 things I'd ideally like, but don't know how much they'd cost to get done.

First would be a small single story extension out the back. Nothing fancy, just for a kitchen/utility room extension ideally so I could use the backroom as a second living space instead of a kitchen/diner. A lot of the houses in the area I'm looking have them and I was wondering how much that would cost, so if I went for a house without it I could budget the expense.

Second would be a small dormer window in the top floor to make the attic into an extra bedroom. Again, probably half the houses in the area have it so I doubt it's too expensive, but again, would like to know how much it's worth. Those massive dormer's are getting popular around here as well where they extend the entire top floor almost, but they look significantly more expensive as you are redoing the entire roof on that side.

Third would be a second bathroom, directly above the main bathroom. Just a small one for an extra toilet and sink, nothing much.

Obviously I know the price is hugely variable, but just a vague guide as to how much each would set me back would be incredibly helpful. I'd do most of the decorating/interior work myself but obviously the structural/electrical/water stuff I'd have to get someone in for.

Builders take the piss don’t give the charlatans your hard earned dosh, I did it myself and saved thousands.

oie_HHH7ztg8PZ73.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.