Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

I don’t think Pep’s worried in the slightest how the opposition are going to play and that’s the problem. We know how they’re going to play before we go out there; sit deep, soak up pressure and attack on the break.

By now I’d have expected a more pragmatic approach of sitting a bit deeper, to encourage the opponent out and hitting on the break ourselves. There’s no surprise, even half decent teams are going to give us problems if we persist.
The Lyon game wasn’t that long ago. Pep set the team up to match their defensive formation, and then was slaughtered for not playing to our strengths.

You’re blaming Rodri for the goal?? I mean, that’s a real stretch!!

It was a collective shit show that goal, but it starts from Rodri being out of position. Again. If it's once or twice you let it go, everyone gets caught out of position once in a while. But it's consistently with him.

We play like zombies and not the screaming, thrashing, sprinting types from 28 Days Later. We play like the ones from Night of the Living Dead. It might have struck fear into people's hearts a few years ago but now everyone is sat waiting at the top with a shotgun while we slowly shuffle our arses up the stairs looking for a nibble.

The problem is a lot bigger than individual performances and individual players.

Yes and so far Spurs scored 11 more goals than us, are they that much more defensive/pragmatic?

Bit of pragmatic tactics would do very well for City, but it would result couple for 1-0 wins maybe and Pep hates those. He is rather losing 1-3 or winning 4-0 than winning 1-0.

In December we play United away, Soton away, Everton away, and first game in January is Chelsea away. All these clubs will try to do what Spurs did, be more pragmatic than usually they are, be compact, let us pass in the back when we are far from their goal, and run one vs one at Ederson when we make some mistakes, lose the ball etc.
We might not win any of these games seriously. Worst is Solskjaer beat Pep at home/away last season in PL. Even he found Pep out. If it happens again in a couple of week, than they will be most likely above us t the table still in 3 weeks time.

Pep needs to change this shit run around very quickly, and Juanma Lillo has to help him big time. He brought him in to help him, they have to sort this mess.

Stale is the word. Imagine stepping onto the training pitch in preparation for the next game and knowing you’re going to approach it the same way that hasn’t been working for months. Equally, imagine how easy it is for the opposition to prepare. We’re making it easy for them.

As for Kev, I’ve seen it before, where the best player ends up being a scapegoat for wider failings. Same happened with Kinkkadze. I see it’s starting now with him, at least he won’t have the boo boys to put up with, but hopefully he doesn’t get pissed off with the football.

As you say, if Pep comes through this it could pave the way for a dynasty, whatever doesn’t kill you etc., but if he persists, it’ll end in tears.
The backroom staff is stale, time to freshen that up, someone with the balls and ability to challenge Pep.

Exactly, sometimes you set up to stop the opponents strengths, we don't, unless we play the 7th best team in France in a Champions League tie, then our manager sh1ts himself.
Lol

I said earlier teams in champions league dont set up to park the bus , they give us a game which makes for a nice change !

If Pep had set us up to park the bus to play against another bus what sort of game would that have been ? One day two park the bus sides will play each other in the worlds most boring match hopefully one team will be City lol

Pep knew Lyon would attack us and for some bizarre reason almost went with the bus, instead of going toe to toe with them.Pep knew spurs would park the bus so didnt park the bus and it back fired.

We are starting to resemble Hleb era Arsenal. Legendary players and leaders have left over time and their replacements have not been at the same level. We’ve sleepwalked into this scenario and the manager is starting to resemble Wenger’isms. ‘It’s not us, it’s them, we played incredibly well’.

I'm no fan of Mahrez whatsoever. I think he's shit compared to when we used to have Sterling and Sane ripping teams apart. What annoys me is that other players are equally shit and equally ineffective (and I don't give a monkey's toss as to the reasons why) as Mahrez yet seem to get a free pass. I just don't buy it that dropping Mahrez solves all the problems. Right now, Foden is our best player and I'd start him as often as possible, even above De Bruyne.
I understand that completely but yesterday I don't think we could be critical of Kev's effort. He was all over the pitch and if anything was trying too hard. Just think of his effort to get back and stop the second whereas Mahrez, Walker and Rodri just didn't make any effort.

I guess the point I try and make is that since Riyad became a regular we have gone away from playing fast, crisp attacking. That is a fact and it happened since Pep made it clear that he felt bad about keeping him on the bench. You are right we need to play with both wide men being effective I would like to see Sterling on the right (where he looks better) Torres on the left and a midfield three of Kev, Phil and either one of Rodri, Gundogan or Bernardo. That would give us more balance right away which is why we need to move on from the right winger stopping most of our threat by either taking too many touches or trying to take on ridiculous shots. That is the only reason I feel we would be instantly better as a team without FFS in the team.

I also think we need to play a true left footer at left back. Delph & Zinchenko were both not good fullbacks but at least he gave us balance. Cancelo has done ok but is a right back and it didn't help Torres yesterday having a player that cuts inside all the time. Walker had a very poor game and maybe the rotation should be on that side. It's not good that we still don't have a reliable left back.

Overall with the likes of Palmer coming through the future will be much better but it seems to me that Pep finds it easier to drop and rotate Phil and Bernardo more which doesn't help any rhythm. I've calmed down a bit after yesterday's missed opportunity but having 4 shots on target out of 22 is a big issue and we cannot have our main threat (supposedly) having a less than 5% rate of on target attempts. It's still early enough to put it right - first action means no place for you know who.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.