Pep's contract situation

You can question all you want, that is the purpose of a forum, but some of the comments smack of fickleness unless you genuinely think the guy does not have a clue, he is yesterdays manager and the other nonsense posted on here.

As for an 18 mth decline, 18 mths ago I was on a cruise still celebrating a glorious treble, clinched a Month earlier, so no you cant help me with that timeline of events. If anything Norwich could be argued was the start 14/09/2019, but that has not been a linear fall off with many cracking performance in the interim, plus 104 goals last season.

There has been a decline, to finishing second and winning a cup (last year), so yes for me he deserves a chance to resolve the issues, as he did only 3 years previously to set up those two glorious years in our history.
Out of the title race before December in one of the worst title defences of recent decades, out of the CL and FA Cup against teams we should have battered with performances that were as gutless and inept as they were almost identical, and won the least prestigious trophy of all thanks to Bravo and the crossbar in the last 10 minutes.
Last season was not a success in my opinion, for the team and the club we are now. We are an elite outfit nowadays, just as we have been for much more of our history than people give us credit for.

Last edited:
The other problem Pep has is the standards he sets and achieves are so high. Before he came who'd have ever have thought 198 points in two seasons was attainable. It frankly wasn't, and I doubt we'll see that level by anyone ever again. Even 100 points in a season on its own likely won't be matched.

Then his style of play is being played out at every level or snippets have been taken by other teams, you see Championship sides playing out from the back, which before Pep was extremely rare. Teams did it but not the extent you see it in English football now. He changed the game, people denying that are just blind.

Problem now he faces is his team is tired, and can't sustain the key elements of his game style, the high octane movement, and pressing has fallen away. Key players have lost form, be it cause they're tired and or their standards have slipped. The 198 point level is almost impossible to maintain.

Now we also have the fact that other teams have either a) caught up or b) conceded they can't out play us, so they park the bus and play on the counter. Which is the oldest trick in the book, but it has worked for decades. Hell the Italians have been doing it for decades to win World Cups and countless other examples.

I have no doubt Pep is up for the challenge, he needs to tweak our tactics and his philosophy to suit, or to get ahead of the pack again, and we need to over haul the squad a bit to get there. But I have no doubt he'll get us there again, probably sooner then the naysayers think.

Personally I think he will relish the challenge, he wouldn't have signed a extension if he wasn't up for it.

The other problem Pep has is the standards he sets and achieves are so high. Before he came who'd have ever have thought 198 points in two seasons was attainable. It frankly wasn't, and I doubt we'll see that level by anyone ever again. Even 100 points in a season on its own likely won't be matched.

Then his style of play is being played out at every level or snippets have been taken by other teams, you see Championship sides playing out from the back, which before Pep was extremely rare. Teams did it but not the extent you see it in English football now. He changed the game, people denying that are just blind.

Problem now he faces is his team is tired, and can't sustain the key elements of his game style, the high octane movement, and pressing has fallen away. Key players have lost form, be it cause they're tired and or their standards have slipped. The 198 point level is almost impossible to maintain.

Now we also have the fact that other teams have either a) caught up or b) conceded they can't out play us, so they park the bus and play on the counter. Which is the oldest trick in the book, but it has worked for decades. Hell the Italians have been doing it for decades to win World Cups and countless other examples.

I have no doubt Pep is up for the challenge, he needs to tweak our tactics and his philosophy to suit, or to get ahead of the pack again, and we need to over haul the squad a bit to get there. But I have no doubt he'll get us there again, probably sooner then the naysayers think.

Personally I think he will relish the challenge, he wouldn't have signed a extension if he wasn't up for it.
This is exactly how I feel. I think you've covered what many have (very understandably) taken a bit for granted. The bolded are points that I made earlier in another thread and I think it needs to be known more.

The way we've been playing for over a year now says it is.
Pep doesn't seem to have any answers either
He Literally said yesterday we will have to find a new way to play and it's MY responsibility to find solutions.
Last year we scored 100+ goals. This year we are not scoring goals. Something is stuck . The team and coach are going through rough patches. It happens and I hope they overcome it.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.