Bus parking for beginners

I think Sterling is starting to lose his pace, which is taking his confidence down severely
I don’t think he has it’s just he’s got no confidence or ability with his left foot so never really runs at defenders on that side. The odd time there is a through ball for him to chase he still leaves defenders for dead.

When we won the league in 11/12 our strike force was (a young and fit) Aguero, Tevez, Ballotelli and Dzeko.
We are now operating with (an ageing and injury prone) Aguero and Jesus.

It's not rocket science.

There are a myriad of reasons.

However, the main one for me is the fact Fernandinho is no longer Fernandinho.

He was extremely Important to our team, the style and the strategy.

The man never need to "put fires out" because he was that attuned he could smell the matches in the opposition's pockets before they even had chance to rattle their packets, let alone start fires.

The replacement is

1. Not the same "type"

2. Very average at the "type" he actually is

Rodri has, in short, been a fucking disaster.

He's a Rola Cola version of Busquets and we all know that a Busquets type is not what a top prem midfield needs.

The signing is Mangala levels of baffling. He doesn't "fit" and anyone who can read the game can see that.

There are plenty of other issues but for me this is where they all stem from.
a myriyad of reasons, very good
1168608930.jpg

Width beats parked buses, stretches the defence and creates space inside, as long as Pep plays inverted wingers, who cut inside against a narrow parked bus we will continue having trouble scoring goals.

Width beats parked buses, stretches the defence and creates space inside, as long as Pep plays inverted wingers, who cut inside against a narrow parked bus we will continue having trouble scoring goals.
I miss david silva playing through balls inside the right back for sane to cross in to aguero and incoming sterling

I miss debruyne playing through balls inside the left back for Sterling to cross in to aguero and an incoming sane.

Why did we change a winning formula to accommodate Mahrez? :(

I miss david silva playing through balls inside the right back for sane to cross in to aguero and incoming sterling

I miss debruyne playing through balls inside the left back for Sterling to cross in to aguero and an incoming sane.

Why did we change a winning formula to accommodate Mahrez? :(
Fucked if I know mate. We also used to be the most dangerous team in Europe imo, at countering from defensive set pieces, corners especially, Ederson catches the ball, or it falls to a City player and Sane, Sterling, Aguero and De Bruyne all bombing forward was a thing of beauty, never happens now.

Last edited:
Interesting to read no reference here to our press (maybe I missed it), as we are not winning the ball back quickly as we used to and striking with counter attacks that we were once almost on par with Liverpool with whilst having a better possession attacking game.

Also, Anyone ask WHY Pep went to usung inverted wingers?

Did mangers begin to figure out the wingers with our approach with the same sided foot? Did Pep see something else? (Surely he did).

Sane also had more than a few moments where his lack of work rate and switching off caused problems. He also could not play on the left at all, Pep even tried him at wing back once (remember?), but he would not track back.

Pep likes his players versatile, able to switch positions during the game based on what's transpiring and observed. Sane was benched when he didn't do this and eventually led to him wanting to go, imho.

When we had peak Mendy and peak Sane they couldn't play together because both were wide. Pep's goal was I think for the wing backs to provide width and wingers to cut inside. Mendy then got injured and we've been searching and at times finding false solutions that last for a period and then falter. Delph, Zinchenko, the ghost of Mendy, and now Cancelo.

Similar inconsistencies have plagued our backline with Stones and Laporte supposed to be the back line for a decade being born the same day, same year. Recall that? Stones lost himself and that never came back. Vinnie filled the role and Nico at times, but one was injury prone and aging and the other a mistake waiting to happen after 1 great season.

The frist goal Spurs scored could be seen as inexperience between 3 defenders not so used to one another.

Pep also wants to make players happy so there is harmony in the squad and the wingers we have are want to play as inside forwards/inverted wingers and not wide attackers who stay wide providing crosses. Which star wants to be known as the Jesus Navas (before he came to City)?

You can say, "I'm the manager and what I say goes and I don't care if it's not what you want," but that isn't always so simple, no? Pep's selling point is joyous attacking football where you will score and earn reputation. These are ambitious players. Not a bunch of lads playing for Burnley or Sheffield United. Go too far against their ambition and it may mean you lose control or they will leave entirely.

One of the major concerns as some seem to conveniently forget going on about "inverted wingers" as somehow the most ill informed tactical decision ever, because we have had MAJOR PROBLEMS AS MANY FANS HAVE WHINGED ON ABOUT FOR YEARS WITH CLINICAL FINISHING.

It's a waste of two attacking players when you want to score goals if the best technical players are so far from the goal. Pep was the innovator of attacking football as a numbers game. The more players in attack the more chance to score, and again we were not finishing chances and struggled with bus parking even before he arrived.. When you are narrower you can control possession more, but yes, then defenders can pack the box.

We signed Mahrez to help with this, due to his abilities, and inverted wingers/inside forwards get more chances to score. Last season we started to see that Mahrez. This season he's a ghost of himself and seems off the pace. Something is amiss in the squad psychologically, I have speculated. Maybe some infighting and with Silva and Kompany gone Dinho isn't able to hold it together because I think Kev is a bit more abrasive and direct in his personality. It looks nice to us, but maybe some don't love it in some situations.

We also LACK HEIGHT AND JUMPING ABILITY has been an issue since Dzeko left, so wingers on both sides makes more sense when you have a big centre forward. Yes, one can play with wingers and a smaller one, and use low crosses, but all of the issues we used to hear about crosses into nowhere to our shrimp forwards has been an issue forever.

This is ironically ALSO why we have Rodri, who isn't a disaster, he's just not Fernandinho and with our style I do wonder if that is the need given our approach.

Last edited:
When we won the league in 11/12 our strike force was (a young and fit) Aguero, Tevez, Ballotelli and Dzeko.

It's not rocket science.

its was close in the end hahahaha

the system pep plays in his book ? we have 4 forward playing and rotating the line
sterling torres juses aguero mahraz are forwards and the modern day striker is gone

who am i to question pep ? the system wins silverware and titles
but we don't have a plan B or C and having a big centre forward to hit you think in this team would bag a hat full of goals when KDB looks up.

football regenerates over the years and systems revolve ? new managers bring idea's and plans. BUT one thing never changes in football ? put the ball in the net more than the other team wins

basic ideas sometimes work better than a master plan worked on for months in training
get the right players for the right type of system ? but also have a plan B. good old fashion long ball and wingers that cross the ball into the box

It's not rocket science.
We've got a double whammy. Injury to both strikers and a mis-firing de Bruyne. KDB isn't performing so put Foden and Bernardo together infront of Rodri. Why haven't we done that? Alternatively put Bernardo on the right. There are options for Pep but to date he's kept plugging away with KDB when he's playing poorly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.