COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking fed up today. Walked from ancoats to st Anne’s church today and town looked scruffy and sad! Not many people about and so shit to not see our city bustling. It is not the most beautiful city but lives through being alive with people. It’s going to be another 3/4 months at least. A year of our lives on hold and many many years to pay back. Fuck off covid.

chin up fella - its always darkest before the dawn

because I'm not going to be coerced by emotional pleading about a "nightmare" when I should be able, as should everyone, to make an educated choice on the vaccine they want that is safe and has a 9.5/10 chance of working as opposed to 6/10, the latter leaving you with 40% chance of being buggered anyway. That's hardly the end of the nightmare, it just singles you out as the likely victim when everyone who's had a good one reverts to normal behaviour and spreads the virus whilst you're unprotected.

Your "nightmare" emotional blackmailing is exactly why people will distrust vaccination and it being thrust on them, until Oxford is up to the same thresholds and unanimous positive feedback and approval then even the most optimistic person should be reserved about it.
I don't think it is as simple as saying you still have a 40% chance of being "buggered" if the vaccine is 60% efficient. You are thinking about yourself only and not seeing the bigger picture. The idea of the vaccine is to suppress or eliminate the virus through herd immunity.

Simplistically, with an R number of 3, we need 1-1/3 = 2/3 or 67 % of the population to be infected or immune to see off the virus. If this is achieved by a vaccine with say 70% efficacy, then most people need to be vaccinated (67/70 = 95%). Some of this 95% don't need vaccine because they're immune following recovery or dead.

Also you don't have a 40% chance of being buggered as you say if the vaccine does not work. I understand you are likely to get a mild disease and then recover.

I'm no expert, just what I learned recently. I think we all need education so we can help each other.

Lancaster has lower cases than all but one London borough but they are in tier 3. Seems wrong.
not just about case numbers though, a lot of other things are taken account.
Biggest I suppose would be hospital capacity, amongst other things.

not just about case numbers though, a lot of other things are taken account.
Biggest I suppose would be hospital capacity, amongst other things.

And are you sure all other metrics have been looked at carefully? Personally not convinced they have. The Lancs leaders ain’t happy.

Front page on Telegraph (so clearly coming from Gov) saying should be no issue with the AZ vaccine in UK, The extra study is for the FDA in the US. Phase 2 data proves it works in older people and should all be confirmed as fine in the Lancet shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.