Saints (A) Post Match Thread

Glad for the lads and Raz and the great defence for the clean sheet.
Many Blues incl myself and I bet loads of non-City fans were fearing or waiting to see City struggle at St.Mary's - but heyho we didn't.
Important win.

We just have to move on like that. Goal scoring can only get better
and Jesus, Sergio or Torres surely will find the net again. Relax.

Our last two goals have come from cut backs. This used to be our stock in trade in the Centurions season.
Sane and Sterling getting to the byline and cutting the ball back for a shot on goal.

Sadly, with inverted wingers, this is no longer a regular feature of our game. It seems Pep was mesmerised by Mahrez, who is not a winger in the classic sense. He saw Mahrez continually cutting inside and scoring for Leicester and thought that was the way to go. He even moved Sterling over to the other wing so he could cut in and shoot as well. The effect of this is there is no width and the centre of the pitch becomes clogged and easily defendable.

Lets get some proper wing play going, Pep, then the goals will flow again.

Think about it another way, we have a forward line that scored 103 league goals and added Torres. We haven't lost anyone - Aguero was injured for our most prolific stretch of the season, Silva was on the bench for 2/3rds of it.

Those players didn't just forget how to finish. They just need a little bit of refocusing, a bitnof adjustment, a bit of confidence and then we'll have a rock solid defence and a shit hot attack.
That would suggest that the change in approach is responsible.
And we did lose Silva, whose presence even on the bench would affect matters. See Bernado.

How long did Emery go undefeated with Arsenal?
tenor.gif

I’m still just irritated about the way we play. The points were important but Saints didn’t even turtle, they pressed us and were willing to play and we had our hands full. They’re not bad but we have had to tell ourselves that these lesser teams were hanging with us because of their bunkers and if they played we’d rip them to shreds. Well Soton came to play and absolutely could have taken a point or more.

There are times I’ve started to wonder if Pep truly understands why our centurions worked. Really wherever he has been, he’s had pace wide and has always used his system to get those players into 1 v 1 situations. The strikers, bar Lewandowski, have always suffered a bit but the wingers are supposed to be the stars. Our best team had Sane punishing teams who played like Saints did today. All those counters in the second half where KDB played Sterling into space were goals a few years ago with Sane punishing their commitment forward. Now Sterling slows and invites the fullback in so he can try to do him inside and the entire chance is wasted. We just always had an answer — if you pressed and committed KDB and Silva would hit one behind you. If you sat Silva would orchestrate and pull the possession strings while KDB occasionally played the killer ball. It was so balanced and had answers for different approaches. Everyone is so one paced now and there’s no threat behind or in the channels. Really just “my turn” “your turn” feeble attempts at beating a man and cutting inside as if curlers are worth more than other goal types. I do t care how many clean sheets we keep, we aren’t winning the league fluffing a half dozen to a dozen chances every week with this feeble attack. We will eventually run into enough teams like Spurs who can defend and we could play 600 minutes without scoring.
Not playing like we have in previous seasons but they're not some bum team this season and would've gone 2nd in the league today with a win against us, we won and that's all that matters, after boxing day we've got a bit of a break but today we took 3pts away from home in front of 2k of their fans so that has to be positive, as is more clean sheets than any other team in the league this season it said on commentary before. Win our game in hand we're 5pts off top spot hardly season over tackle. Still well in the race for the title.

This win reminds me of when city went on that run of 14 wins, all those games, we just did what was needed to get the win. Our defense now is as good as any in the league. Pep is cautiously getting us back to our best. However he knows our firepower is costing us game by game. A new striker in January is Peps no 1 target, don't let him make you think otherwise.

I’m still just irritated about the way we play. The points were important but Saints didn’t even turtle, they pressed us and were willing to play and we had our hands full. They’re not bad but we have had to tell ourselves that these lesser teams were hanging with us because of their bunkers and if they played we’d rip them to shreds. Well Soton came to play and absolutely could have taken a point or more.

There are times I’ve started to wonder if Pep truly understands why our centurions worked. Really wherever he has been, he’s had pace wide and has always used his system to get those players into 1 v 1 situations. The strikers, bar Lewandowski, have always suffered a bit but the wingers are supposed to be the stars. Our best team had Sane punishing teams who played like Saints did today. All those counters in the second half where KDB played Sterling into space were goals a few years ago with Sane punishing their commitment forward. Now Sterling slows and invites the fullback in so he can try to do him inside and the entire chance is wasted. We just always had an answer — if you pressed and committed KDB and Silva would hit one behind you. If you sat Silva would orchestrate and pull the possession strings while KDB occasionally played the killer ball. It was so balanced and had answers for different approaches. Everyone is so one paced now and there’s no threat behind or in the channels. Really just “my turn” “your turn” feeble attempts at beating a man and cutting inside as if curlers are worth more than other goal types. I do t care how many clean sheets we keep, we aren’t winning the league fluffing a half dozen to a dozen chances every week with this feeble attack. We will eventually run into enough teams like Spurs who can defend and we could play 600 minutes without scoring.
I think you’re answering your own question (Centurions).

Pep surely knows because we no longer have Sane and Dave.

can’t play that way without those to execute and you don’t just find players like Dave and Leroy.

we won. We’re not as good as we were.

I do believe we’ll get better though

I think you’re answering your own question (Centurions).

Pep surely knows because we no longer have Sane and Dave.

can’t play that way without those to execute and you don’t just find players like Dave and Leroy.

we won. We’re not as good as we were.

I do believe we’ll get better though
We have to get better, although we are considerably better in defence, our attacking threat is not good enough to win titles, hopefully the club will soon put that right and maybe sooner than we think/hope.

If we had a proper striker non of this would be an issue, however pinning our hopes on one player whether that’s Messi or Haaland or whoever is a dangerous game. It’s not long ago we had 5 players on 20 goals, they have dried up, we have to learn to just shoot and stop fucking about in front of goal, as professional footballers on hundreds of thousands a week how they can’t shoot with their weaker foots is beyond me, shooting from 8 yards just put your foot through it, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
We have a great defence now, something we have lacked in all of Peps tenure, it’s looking good for the champions league but in that competition you get very few chances and you must take them or be punished.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.