Bluemoon Angling Thread

One for the Salmon fishers....just took the dogs for a walk on the beaches at the mouth of the Mawdach estuary and there was a large male salmon washed up on the beach...now, is someone having a laugh or has it spawned and done what spawned salmon do or...is it due to spawn but died on its way up river. There aren't that many salmon around here any more so it just seemed a bit strange....

One for the Salmon fishers....just took the dogs for a walk on the beaches at the mouth of the Mawdach estuary and there was a large male salmon washed up on the beach...now, is someone having a laugh or has it spawned and done what spawned salmon do or...is it due to spawn but died on its way up river. There aren't that many salmon around here any more so it just seemed a bit strange....
It would probably have spawned mate and washed down with the high water.

Probably just made it's way through the Snowdonia glacier.

I’ve just got my waders on and been on an exploratory mission on the local river Calder, seeking one of my winter targets, a big grayling. I’ve never had a 2lber but I think it’s a prospect here, although the river is a bit grim, inaccessible and hardly fished. A good challenge. I drove around for ages looking for access but I couldn’t find any in these industrial parts. Eventually after a walk I found an area and identified a deeper pool. Just the job for the centre pin and trotting rod.

I fed maggots as I set up with a big stick float and first cast down was straight into a fish, a grayling around a pound. For the next hour I hooked a fish every trot, about half a dozen grayling and half a dozen trout, all around the pound mark, with one bigger trout of about 2lb. My toes froze so I only gave it an hour or so, but this was a rewarding little local trip out.

I’ve just got my waders on and been on an exploratory mission on the local river Calder, seeking one of my winter targets, a big grayling. I’ve never had a 2lber but I think it’s a prospect here, although the river is a bit grim, inaccessible and hardly fished. A good challenge. I drove around for ages looking for access but I couldn’t find any in these industrial parts. Eventually after a walk I found an area and identified a deeper pool. Just the job for the centre pin and trotting rod.

I fed maggots as I set up with a big stick float and first cast down was straight into a fish, a grayling around a pound. For the next hour I hooked a fish every trot, about half a dozen grayling and half a dozen trout, all around the pound mark, with one bigger trout of about 2lb. My toes froze so I only gave it an hour or so, but this was a rewarding little local trip out.

Bloody hell, well done. Rivers around here are hard going. Went on the Dane today near Congleton but, as I'm staying at my mum's in Sale, I don't have my tackle and made the schoolboy mistake of relying on my mate to supply everything.

Last night I asked what he'd got for bait. He said "bread and some really smelly cheese". This morning he had a loaf and a piece of wrapping paper smelling vaguely of stilton. I said "what happened to the really smelly cheese". He said "humans got in the fridge".

Needless to say, not a bite and river wasn't really fishable with masses of debris still coming down. Blew some of the cobwebs off though and the Turkey sandwiches and Christmas cake (which I provided) were most welcome.

Bloody hell, well done. Rivers around here are hard going. Went on the Dane today near Congleton but, as I'm staying at my mum's in Sale, I don't have my tackle and made the schoolboy mistake of relying on my mate to supply everything.

Last night I asked what he'd got for bait. He said "bread and some really smelly cheese". This morning he had a loaf and a piece of wrapping paper smelling vaguely of stilton. I said "what happened to the really smelly cheese". He said "humans got in the fridge".

Needless to say, not a bite and river wasn't really fishable with masses of debris still coming down. Blew some of the cobwebs off though and the Turkey sandwiches and Christmas cake (which I provided) were most welcome.
I was down on the Dane by Danebridge yesterday and it was seriously pushing through.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.