Txiki recruitment

At Villa, 6 goals in 12 games
Let's face it... Even though he will have been scouted, there's no way that Txiki was going to gamble on a known Championship player - It's below the expected level for a club of our stature.
Watkins had no PL experience and only one very good season at Brentford - He was a 1 goal in 4 games player at Championship level before averaging 1 in 2 over 2019/20. All of a sudden, he's a £28m player.
Yes, he's nearer to an average of 1 in 2 this season, but he's not scored in the last 8 games, and (having watched Villa a few times on TV this season) I don't see that he's anything out of the ordinary - certainly nowhere near good enough to get ahead of (or even challenge) Gabriel Jesus. That's the benchmark for any new signing.

If we're going to spend around £28m on a striker, it will most likely be someone around 20 or 21 from South America.

Let's face it... Even though he will have been scouted, there's no way that Txiki was going to gamble on a known Championship player - It's below the expected level for a club of our stature.
Watkins had no PL experience and only one very good season at Brentford - He was a 1 goal in 4 games player at Championship level before averaging 1 in 2 over 2019/20. All of a sudden, he's a £28m player.
Yes, he's nearer to an average of 1 in 2 this season, but he's not scored in the last 8 games, and (having watched Villa a few times on TV this season) I don't see that he's anything out of the ordinary - certainly nowhere near good enough to get ahead of (or even challenge) Gabriel Jesus. That's the benchmark for any new signing.

If we're going to spend around £28m on a striker, it will most likely be someone around 20 or 21 from South America.
Fair comment Lavinda, it's just that in 7 years Txiki has hardly taken a punt with any UK based players under the radar.

I think its been a mixed bag for Txiki, however the 3 recent Portuguese signings could be influential, namely Silva, Cancelo and Dias. Just for info here are the signings since his appointment in October 2012 and the price paid.

Fernandinho £36 Million, Jovetic 23, Negredo 22, Navas 18 and Demichelis 4
Mangala 40, Bony 29, Fernando 13, Caballero 7, Zucculini 2
KDB 68, Sterling 57, Ottamendi 40, Delph 10,Roberts 6, Unal 4
Stones 50, Sane 46, Jesus 28, Ilkay 24, Bravo 16,Nolito 16, Moreno 5, Ruili 4 , Zinchenko 2
Laporte 58, Mendy 52,Walker 47,Bernardo 45, Ederson 36,Danilo 27, Luiz 10,Harrison 3.6, Kayode 3.5, Ilic 2.3
Mahrez 61, Palaversa 6, Sandler 2.2
Cancelo 58, Rodri 56, Angelino 10, Porro 10, Steffen 6
Dias 61, Ake 40, Torres 20, Moreno 9, Stevanovic 7.5, Bustos 5.8, Couto 5.4, Kabore 4

Information got from Transfermarkt on the internet.

I think its been a mixed bag for Txiki, however the 3 recent Portuguese signings could be influential, namely Silva, Cancelo and Dias. Just for info here are the signings since his appointment in October 2012 and the price paid.

Fernandinho £36 Million, Jovetic 23, Negredo 22, Navas 18 and Demichelis 4
Mangala 40, Bony 29, Fernando 13, Caballero 7, Zucculini 2
KDB 68, Sterling 57, Ottamendi 40, Delph 10,Roberts 6, Unal 4
Stones 50, Sane 46, Jesus 28, Ilkay 24, Bravo 16,Nolito 16, Moreno 5, Ruili 4 , Zinchenko 2
Laporte 58, Mendy 52,Walker 47,Bernardo 45, Ederson 36,Danilo 27, Luiz 10,Harrison 3.6, Kayode 3.5, Ilic 2.3
Mahrez 61, Palaversa 6, Sandler 2.2
Cancelo 58, Rodri 56, Angelino 10, Porro 10, Steffen 6
Dias 61, Ake 40, Torres 20, Moreno 9, Stevanovic 7.5, Bustos 5.8, Couto 5.4, Kabore 4

Information got from Transfermarkt on the internet.
Those prices are so far off. Transfermarkt does not have any insight to transfer fees.

Fernandinho cost £34M, £4M of which was paid/waived by Fernandinho himself.
Navas was £15.9M
Negredo cost <£20M
Mangala was £42M
Bony was £25M (Rising to £30M)
Otamendi was around £30M (£28-32M depending on reports)
Delph was £8M
Sterling was £44M (Rising to £49M)
Sané was £37M (with unknown add-ons)
Bernardo was £43M (with unknown add-ons)

Dias, Cancelo and Moreno were all inflated swap deals.

I often wonder how good our UK based scouting system is. We just don't seem to attract the bargains eg, Robertson at £8million, Hojbjerg £17m, Watkins £28m.........we seem to have a
good system in Spain and South America but not so much here....
Hojbjerg not great, Watkins decent but not great, Robertson probably the best left back in the league but he wasn’t when he was at Hull, tbf Klopp has done a great job with him. But if we missed him, so did scum, Chelsea, spurs, arsenal, Everton etc, it happens. When Liverpool bought him nobody expected him to develop like he has, and to be fair to us they probably bought him based on information from our scouting database

Hojbjerg not great, Watkins decent but not great, Robertson probably the best left back in the league but he wasn’t when he was at Hull, tbf Klopp has done a great job with him. But if we missed him, so did scum, Chelsea, spurs, arsenal, Everton etc, it happens. When Liverpool bought him nobody expected him to develop like he has, and to be fair to us they probably bought him based on information from our scouting database
Hojbjerg decent for me. Robertson i was onto as a cheap option (at the time) worked out unbelievably for them. Can add VVD to one that got away. Think we had players on loan at Celtic at the time also.

Hojbjerg decent for me. Robertson i was onto as a cheap option (at the time) worked out unbelievably for them. Can add VVD to one that got away. Think we had players on loan at Celtic at the time also.
Dias, Ederson, Walker, Laporte, Jesus, Torres all excellent value signings

Whatever about the prices we pay for players, the prices we get for selling players is ridiculously low.
If we got decent sales prices we mightn't be too worried on what we are paying.
Shawn Wright Phillips must be one of our biggest sales and that seems like years ago.
Iheanacho is probably up there as one of our largest profits.

some clubs are able to negotiate great selling fees for their unwanted players.

Txiki cannot.

I think thats a bigger problem than having some signings that became flop.

This summer's example of Tosin leaving for 2m pounds who might become a regular PL defender in the future while Liverpool charging 23m + bonuses for striker Brewster, who played all last 13 of Sheffield U games (6 stars, 7 as sub) and scored 0 goals so far. It is very unlikely if they go down some another PL club will buy Brewster on the back of this season where he cannot score at all.
(But dont forget Chelsea selling Oscar to China for 50m pounds, while we got 3m Nasri. Or Chelsea selling Diego Costa for 55m to Atletico at age 30, when we were happy to let Dzeko go for 10m at age 30, and he went onto score something like 100 goals for Roma since then. absolute bargains you can get if you buy from Txiki...)

Txiki also need to get right the LB ad striker position up next, no flops allowed on these positions. Kun is about to finish, his legs imo are already gone kind of with this extremely slow comeback he is showing.
I wonder how he will be able to shift Mendy, who is gonna pay for him and what, not mentioning if we have to keep playing part of his salary.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.