Txiki recruitment

some clubs are able to negotiate great selling fees for their unwanted players.
John Williams was brought in to do that, didn't hear much about him and it didn't last very long.

The big issues are paying far too much for players and also the massive wages make them impossible to get a good fee for.

Some of the players city bought may look cheep 5/10 yeas later compared to today's prices, but so does Steve Daley now, and the recent big money signings like Mahrez and Rodri aren't value for money.

Mendy was actually a smart signing at the time I would say. I remember thinking you had sorted out your LB position for the next 7 years or so (probably wrong on that in hindsight). He had looked like one of the best LBs in Europe at Monaco, particularly attacking. He got that early injury just after he joined City and then it snowballed from there and he got more and more. Honestly I think those ruined a lot of him as a player. He looks bereft of all confidence as a player to me now.

Not to mention the budget signings like Sagna, Lampard, Delph, Zinchenko and Caballero.

There have been a few duds. Bravo, Mangala, Fernando, Mendy, Bony, Jovetic. But they do get outweighed by his positive contributions.
Even amongst those though - Mendy, to a lesser extent Fernando, Jovetic and Bravo were very good players before they signed for City. I mean Bravo rotated with Ter Stegen between La Liga and Champions League, at Barcelona and won league titles with them. For whatever reason (I allude to some about Mendy above) it just didn't work out in England for most of them, but it's always easier to look back with hindsight. At the time they looked like good signings.

Dias, Ederson, Walker, Laporte, Jesus, Torres all excellent value signings
Yes, i wasn't digging him out. Signed some very good players for sure. I read once Whiskey nose achieved 30% success rate for all his 100 signings for the Rags, so its a far from easy task. I think Txiki has achieved better than that ratio and has generally done well, with a few well know flops/over priced players thrown in.

pretty hit and miss, let’s face it a lot of the good signings are players plenty would go for, even us mortal supporters can pick out decent players. Weakness for defensive players and signing good players in positions that are not the most vital at the time. We have often been left with an unbalanced squad including the current one.

I think Ruben Dias has amazing potential from these few early games and Cancelo has turned a corner and looking excellent.
Add to them Bernardo and these could be 3 very influential signings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.