Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its called cost benefit analysis. It’s how health decisions are made. Many seem too immature to have these conversations mostly because they never have to have them (thankfully, not a job I would wish to have).
The virus is out of control and we are fa's approaching the point of hospitals not able to take new cases, but your happy coz Costa and Starbucks can remain open. Great trade off.

FWIW my view now is that everything has to be thrown at vaccinating at the maximum possible speed as nothing else is working. Test & Trace, mass testing as in Liverpool, lock downs are merely marginal mitigating steps that really only delay the outcome.

This is the case all round Europe. I have a work colleague in the Czech Republic who has always taken Covid very seriously even though he is in his mid 30s. They had a successful first wave with a brutal lockdown but currently if you compared daily cases like for like with the UK population then they have the equivalent of 130,000 new cases a day. He has not seen a single customer or travelled anywhere since March. There are protests daily as there is little support for businesses and many are destitute.

Testing is achieving very little so vaccinations have to be the absolute main priority.

what more can they do , what other restrictions can there be ?

given we were placed on lockdown only less than a week ago we have to surely see what affect it has .

I am hoping come February given the lockdown and the vaccines this will start to have an affect On the numbers.

the weather in January helps with people staying in anyway and everything being shut also helps !!!
There’s a lot more that can be done that goes further than this non-lockdown lockdown we’re in at the moment.

Would herd immunity actually work against this virus? I don't see how it would, we don't know how long immunity lasts for a start. We don't have herd immunity against the flu or the common cold, I don't see why covid would be any different.
I don’t think anybody can be absolutely certain. More money and expertise has gone into developing the vaccines than probably any other scientific projects . We also know the vast majority of people who get Covid have immunity for at least 8 months.

These are my willing amateur thoughts. We could, potentially, achieve herd immunity providing most of our population were vaccinated and probably around a further quarter of the population were very resistant to Covid, having recovered from it, IMHO (say 75 to 80% protected for a period of time). We would then need to progress to get the vast majority of people vaccinated to maintain protection. We need to do all the things recommended to slow the spread of the virus (hands, space, face etc).

It was the early thinking around herd immunity (back in the Spring) without vaccinations that were very reckless. Obviously, there are risks that the problematic variants could mutate further to be bigger challenges to the vaccines but many of the world’s leading scientists will be looking to mitigate that risk. I only bases my thinking on what I’ve read and I have no expert knowledge.

I do my shopping at 9.30 pm, the supermarket shuts at 10pm, it usually pretty empty at that time, never see young kids at all.

If I drove I would do all my shopping at night. In the summer I often we t about 7pm it was quiet then but a gamble everything you needed was still there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.