Retiring

Since 2016 You need 10 years full contributions to get anything and 35 full years to get the maximum.
If you ask for the written forecast it will tell you if you were ever contracted out and the effect it will have.
yup. reduction of £18/week

My state pension is £599 per month
I worked for 3 month at Pauldens ( Debenhams) after leaving school at 15 then joined the Royal Navy for 8 years after working at a bakery for 12 month I was in the Health Service for 30 years till i got made redundant then 5 years as a driving instructor .From 1969 to 2015. I was out of work for 5 month .So after working about 45 years my State Pension ain't great
I used the dot.govuk calculator before my pension date and always came up saying would get £700 plus per month oops
Since I got my state pension my health service pension now gets taxed
I can manage but feel for people who will be getting state pension in the next few years as some like me might get a bit of a shock
Most of my career has been in the public service and so we were contracted out of SERPS.
The new state pension introduced in 2016 is now about £175 per week. Much better than the old basic pension. However mine will be less than that due to the contracting out situation.

Ten years full contributions.
They do not need to be consecutive.
On a side note, when my mrs had to apply for benefit she got turned down flat due to not enough ni. She had been paying it since 15 years old and sent years of big firm payslips. Still fucked her around until eventually a sound geordie bloke told her they had lost 2 million peoples records and that would be where the problem was. Got a 4k payment of backdated claim 3 days later.

Maybe that was it. You should not be getting less just because you have a bit extra of your own pension.

That said, who knows where they will raid in order to pay back some of the COVID-19 costs. I can imagine they will hit tax relief on pension contributions and it's far from impossible they will start to reduce the state pension for people who have their own... making your lifetime of payments a fucking waste of time. God forbid they should do this but I would not put it past them.
I recall the saving of removing tax relief on pension contributions being in the region of £37 billion per annum.

Anyone who was ever in a contracted out workplace pension before 2016 will have less state pension.
If you worked after 16/17, you can actually "replace" the contracted out years with full years and eventually cancel out the reduction. I was contracted out for about ten years and assume that means I will be back to full pension by 2026/7.

Most of my career has been in the public service and so we were contracted out of SERPS.
The new state pension introduced in 2016 is now about £175 per week. Much better than the old basic pension. However mine will be less than that due to the contracting out situation.

Just ensuring you know that you can boost the pension by making voluntary payments. A no brainer if you have less than 35 years but a decent return even if you were just contracted out.

If you worked after 16/17, you can actually "replace" the contracted out years with full years and eventually cancel out the reduction. I was contracted out for about ten years and assume that means I will be back to full pension by 2026/7.
It all depends on your NI profile.
You need 35 years of full contributions to get the full pension, doesn’t matter when that is achieved.

Just ensuring you know that you can boost the pension by making voluntary payments. A no brainer if you have less than 35 years but a decent return even if you were just contracted out.
I know. However I’m not too sure yet whether I want to. I make more use of the cash I have now than cash I’ll get back later when I’ll be too old to spend it usefully.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.