Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money disparity was not a issue when rags and red scouse were winning everything. In fact they portrayed it as an indication of success, a positive quality. BBC News would positively report on another record signing by United! Le hate, it’s there but I suspect the non clued up City or neutral bower/listener will be swayed by the comments.

Good post mate and happy to answer it as best I can.

I think there are a lot of people in the press who don’t like our business model, similar to Leipzig in Germany, our owners, such as the likes Delaney, Harris etc and I think that is reflected in their writing. In some minds that could constitute an ‘agenda’, very much depends on your definition, but to me its not the overarching agenda what is typically inferred on here.

Consequently I think we do probably get worse press (I say probably as I rarely read news on other clubs as a comparison and am very sensitised to City content) and so I can understand some reaction to content. It will surprise you but some stuff bothers me, including the fawning for Liverpool and United at times, Delaney, Harris etc and I must add I think the negative coverage was ramped up post the FFP allegations, so my position has shifted a bit.

I think its worth noting I am no fan of the majority of the press overall. In fact I despise a lot of them. Where I suppose I differ, to many on here, is I think the media will sell anyone down the river, not just City. For example I would argue pretty much every United manager post Fergie has had no end of stick, including Solksjaer, this season and I would argue they tried to do a hatchet job on Mason Greenwood after the England incident. In a wider context it could be Meghan Markle, Prince Harry and all the others individuals who had their phones hacked. Some sections of the press are just waiting to destroy people.

With regards some the other accusations I think a lot of its nonsense. Were at a point on here where even the likes of Micah Richards is being accused
of selling out, where most neutral observers laugh at how pro-City he is. Same has happened with Hinchcliffe, Quinn etc. I think even the guys on the Blue Moon podcast got a bit of stick for a while, not to mention the M(u)EN and Sam Lee etc. I think sometimes you have to accept someones else’s opinion, which may be in complete contrast to your own, but is not necessarily part of a sinister agenda.

Just to touch on a couple of your specific points:

I think complaining about the press referencing our squad being ‘bigger’ to me is an example of fans being overly sensitive. Yes we know squad sizes are the same but the reference to a big squad is a comment relation to the quality, cost, experience of those within it. In fact City fans reference our ‘big squad’ all the time in reference to how we need to rotate, how it should help us over the course of the season when injuries kick in. Its really nothing to be offended about.

Like I said there is a lot of stuff fans can quite rightly whinge about, no arguments, but it becomes a bit too much when refs are blocking passing lanes, all refs biased and match fixing, pigmol biased against us, cup draws national and european fixed, sky, bbc, BT, all pundits, pretty much every media outlet and reporter biased against us etc.
Whilst you make some points I agree with, there is a general tone of “nothing to see here” which I think is nonsense.
Your final paragraph is set against a backdrop of Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini, Der Spiegel sponsored by Bayern dirt dishing on us, World Cups in Russia and Qatar to name but a few.

In short the game in general is as bent as f***! It took the FBI to uncover it because numerous sporting bodies, governments and individuals all looked the other way. Our spend is tiny in comparison to the European elite clubs but their owners or league officials (Tebas) regularly name check us and get reported with no hint of irony.

I’m not bothered though because every win or trophy is like another dagger to their hearts.

I'm no wordsmith but surely that's SQUAD DEPTH. If I can manage to differentiate between those two words why can't a professional (who has presumably got a degree in English) journalist do the same?

It's a constant drip, drip, drip in order to place an idea subconsciously into the minds of the masses. It's not accidental and has, I believe, racism at its root. Fairly disgusting in my opinion and IS really something to be offended about.

I think squad depth does get used also and I am not sure the likes of Danny Murphy etc have an english degree. The majority of football fans know of squad sizes so fully understand the point being made.

To jump to a conclusion of racism from choosing to use the word ‘big’ instead of ‘depth’ to describe a football squad is a leap to far for me, but pretty much supports, in my opinion, my views that there are some extreme views in relation to the media thread

Not sure im being negative at all ‘mike’. Im merely observing that we shouldnt be so touchy as a fan base. Yeah the media seem to do a job on us weekly. So what? Only one way to shut em up. And we know what that is. And if it doesnt shut em up ... so what? Will we care ?
Positive enough mickey?
Don't be a clever arse for a start with the 'mickey.'
I've read a few of your recent posts that made me think you are the sort of rag who comes on here to wind up City fans despite having some pro City posts. But like Contrary Frank coming on here to tell City fans we are wrong is not a good idea, calling them fanny wipes even less so.
I am not sure when you decided your bright idea of ignoring the media and turning the other cheek came to you but 100 points and all domestic trophies doesn't seem to have had much effect in shutting them up. You thinking the media do a job on us once a week makes me wonder where you live. The moon perhaps?
I want to be able to enjoy reading and watching programmes involving City and being British l like to think l have the characteristics of fair play and give credit where its due. So l will always stick up for them and City fans. lts dead easy to put you on ignore. Putting the whole media is not so easy.
Ps. I also don't like lies being told either.

Whilst you make some points I agree with, there is a general tone of “nothing to see here” which I think is nonsense.
Your final paragraph is set against a backdrop of Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini, Der Spiegel sponsored by Bayern dirt dishing on us, World Cups in Russia and Qatar to name but a few.

In short the game in general is as bent as f***! It took the FBI to uncover it because numerous sporting bodies, governments and individuals all looked the other way. Our spend is tiny in comparison to the European elite clubs but their owners or league officials (Tebas) regularly name check us and get reported with no hint of irony.

I’m not bothered though because every win or trophy is like another dagger to their hearts.

It probably is in many respects, but this media debate long superseded Der Spiegel, Russia/Qatar world cup etc.

There is undeniably corruption out there, and often policies are set with self-interest in mind but whether that extends to widespread match fixing, the Refs governing body directing refs to fix matches and then that being undertaken to target City Im not convinced.

Last edited:
Good post mate and happy to answer it as best I can.

I think there are a lot of people in the press who don’t like our business model, similar to Leipzig in Germany, our owners, such as the likes Delaney, Harris etc and I think that is reflected in their writing. In some minds that could constitute an ‘agenda’, very much depends on your definition, but to me its not the overarching agenda what is typically inferred on here.

Consequently I think we do probably get worse press (I say probably as I rarely read news on other clubs as a comparison and am very sensitised to City content) and so I can understand some reaction to content. It will surprise you but some stuff bothers me, including the fawning for Liverpool and United at times, Delaney, Harris etc and I must add I think the negative coverage was ramped up post the FFP allegations, so my position has shifted a bit.

I think its worth noting I am no fan of the majority of the press overall. In fact I despise a lot of them. Where I suppose I differ, to many on here, is I think the media will sell anyone down the river, not just City. For example I would argue pretty much every United manager post Fergie has had no end of stick, including Solksjaer, this season and I would argue they tried to do a hatchet job on Mason Greenwood after the England incident. In a wider context it could be Meghan Markle, Prince Harry and all the others individuals who had their phones hacked. Some sections of the press are just waiting to destroy people.

With regards some the other accusations I think a lot of its nonsense. Were at a point on here where even the likes of Micah Richards is being accused
of selling out, where most neutral observers laugh at how pro-City he is. Same has happened with Hinchcliffe, Quinn etc. I think even the guys on the Blue Moon podcast got a bit of stick for a while, not to mention the M(u)EN and Sam Lee etc. I think sometimes you have to accept someones else’s opinion, which may be in complete contrast to your own, but is not necessarily part of a sinister agenda.

Just to touch on a couple of your specific points:

I think complaining about the press referencing our squad being ‘bigger’ to me is an example of fans being overly sensitive. Yes we know squad sizes are the same but the reference to a big squad is a comment relation to the quality, cost, experience of those within it. In fact City fans reference our ‘big squad’ all the time in reference to how we need to rotate, how it should help us over the course of the season when injuries kick in. Its really nothing to be offended about.

Like I said there is a lot of stuff fans can quite rightly whinge about, no arguments, but it becomes a bit too much when refs are blocking passing lanes, all refs biased and match fixing, pigmol biased against us, cup draws national and european fixed, sky, bbc, BT, all pundits, pretty much every media outlet and reporter biased against us etc.

Cheers for the reply..

It's not just Delaney and Harris though who have difficulty in reporting on us fairly, it's right across all of the media platforms..

Can you see any of the other clubs managers, in fact any manager being asked in a press conference if he'd taken a bung ?

Now maybe we bring a bit of this on ourselves as City may well have taken the decision to let these things ride.

It doesn't make it right and it doesn't condone it though..

We have a very loyal and supportive fan base and I for one have no problem with the majority of them not deciding to let the media bias ride by making their feelings known.

In fact people like Rabin have rattled a fair few cages and in turn has shown many of the hacks up for what they are..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against bad press and criticism against City, far from it but surely it's got to have some substance behind it and at least be justified..

Regarding our squad size / depth, it has been assembled within the FFP rules and we have spent in line with what we turnover..

Other clubs, clubs who are valued more than us could and should therefore have assembled similar, quality squads too you could safely argue..

We ducked out on Sanchez, Fred, Maguire and Pogba to name but a few as they were deemed too expensive for us.

Funnily enough all of them signed for a club who are half a billion pounds in debt..

How's that work and where's the media reporting into this ?

Like I say Frank, it doesn't sit right with me and with the vast majority of others too I would guess..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.